How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 11-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
I have been to Dubai, believe me I know... Still there will not be a 90 story building going up for a very long time in that section of Manhattan or actually any part of NYC.
Of course they won't be a 90.. maybe an 80... or a.... 100!

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Last time I checked (which was last night), there is no developable land left in most of Manhattan. Particularly in this area which is most likely in the top 10 as far as values in the world.

so...let me get this straight...

He wants to buy up all the buildings in a sqaure block of the most desireable and expensive part of Manhattan, and then tear down the hugely expensive and already developed properties to build the 2nd or 3rd largest building in manhattan. He wishes to do this with no political ties and not in the financial district. Perhaps he wants to put it next to Cartier or Tiffany. Or maybe he wants to buy them and tear em down to make way. Further, he is worried that he might get screwed because the sqft values of the base may be high enough that the 90 floors above it and probably 8 floors down will make it a bad investment.

Good thing he asked you to feel your way around. Tell him Brad from the SVX board said it is a good idea and that I wish to reserve the 90th floor as a garage for my cars.

Your friend's head is in the clouds. I am sorry, buit this is an insane post.

2006 Merc R350 (wife's car)
2003 M3 SMG coupe (for now)
1996 SVX LSI 28k
2004 Burberry Jaguar electric car (daughter's car)
coming soon... 2006 Noble m400
Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Not a square block Brad, more like a part of it. And yes some building gonna go down.
I will update you all on this. The project is being studied as we speak, if everything goes well you will know who this guy is.

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I will bet my car this does not happen. I know NYC extremely well and what Brad just said is true. A 90 story building would be an entire block in that part of Manhattan. So, you would need to buy the existing buildings (next to impossible because the current owners will not want to move out due to how desirable the location is.), tear them down (more millions of $$) and the build a 90 story office building? Your friend would have to be a 'liquid' billionaire WITH connections to get approval. This is also America where bribes are illegal (not saying they don't happen), but it is not like other countries. Not to mention the fact that there will be public outcry for the whole project. Whoever he is "talking to" is probably jerking his chain and trying to get his $$$ from him
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
I will bet my car this does not happen. I know NYC extremely well and what Brad just said is true. A 90 story building would be an entire block in that part of Manhattan. So, you would need to buy the existing buildings (next to impossible because the current owners will not want to move out due to how desirable the location is.), tear them down (more millions of $$) and the build a 90 story office building? Your friend would have to be a 'liquid' billionaire WITH connections to get approval. This is also America where bribes are illegal (not saying they don't happen), but it is not like other countries. Not to mention the fact that there will be public outcry for the whole project. Whoever he is "talking to" is probably jerking his chain and trying to get his $$$ from him
I highly suggest you withdraw your betting on your car bro .
You never know it might be a joint venture or something....

THINK BIG my friend

Old 11-12-2007, 03:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
I dont need to withdraw it. I think your friend is about to be soaked.... Royally.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Sorry if I come across as rude...but I do not have a nice way of explaining this to you. As a New Yorker, you must understand how silly this sounds. Perhaps the distance is skewing the reality.

ok... if we really are going to play out this pipe dream. Here are some more elaborate details and flaws in your rich guys plans...

1) There is no 6th avenue. After 5th avenue is avenue of the americas (technically 6th avenue.

2) The area of "6th ave to 7th between 57 and 58th street is central park south. It is 1 block off of the park and is home to the weathiest part of manhattan (bar none). These people do not live in single family homes. They live in BUILDINGS! Most of which routinely can exceed 30-40 stories already. Those streets include such landmarks as Carnegie Hall, Trump Parc, Essex Hotel, fao schwartz, etc.

3) I am sure the other billionaires that live in this area wont mind their views obstructed by a building double the size of theirs in front of them. The park view is not that important to life on Central Park South.

4) Take a close look at the footprint of the former wtc site. Take a look at the fact that at least 1/2 blk is what it takes (minimum) to erect a 90 story building. Is he going to call it stringbean towers or someting>?

5) The value of this sqaure block would probably exceed 20 billion dollars with the Real Estate on it now. Even if he could buy it from each and every owner, he will have to remove the existing high value real estate. Then the cost of building his building (at least a couple of billion) which is the least expensive part of the equation. Even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet as a team would get goose pimples from this.

The median price per square ft on the park south is $3905 per sq ft for residential apartment space. Here is a text of the 3 available listings...

We found 3 listings around $4,998,000 average aasking price
Median price: $5,200,000 Median size: 1,384 ft² Median price per ft²: $3,905

That makes a 1384 sqft apartment $5,404,520.
DO the math on the whole building times avg 40 floors times say 5+ buildings >>>??? Need a bigger calculator, dont you?

I think you and your friend are quite dillusional and perhaps a bit naive. I think your friend has MUCH less money than you think if he is even pondering this.

Enclosed are 2 pictures of the areas you are talking about....TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT IT. If you stilll want to continue this thread...go ahead but dont expect anymore replies from me.

FOR REFERENCE...THE BUILDINGS TOWARD THE RIGHT IN THIS PICTURE ARE APPROX 40 STORIES !! IMAGINE A BUILDING TWICE THE HEIGHT OF THESE AND THEN ADD 10 STORIES... SEEM LIKE IT WOULD BE APPROVED? Believe me trump would have done it already to compensate for his teeny peeeny

1996 SVX LSI 28k

Last edited by ebaybrad; 11-13-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaybrad View Post
ok... if we really are going to play out this pipe dream. Here are some more elaborate details and flaws in your rich guys plans...

1) There is no 6th avenue. After 5th avenue is avenue of the americas (technically 6th avenue.

2) The area of "6th ave to 7th between 57 and 58th street is central park south. It is 1 block off of the park and is home to the weathiest part of manhattan (bar none). These people do not live in single family homes. They live in BUILDINGS! Most of which routinely can exceed 30-40 stories already. Those streets include such landmarks as Carnegie Hall, Trump Parc, Essex Hotel, fao schwartz, etc.

3) I am sure the other billionaires that live in this area wont mind their views obstructed by a building double the size of theirs in front of them. The park is not that important to life on Central Park South.

4) Take a close look at the footprint of the former wtc site. Take a look at the fact that at least 1/2 blk is what it takes (minimum) to erect a 90 story building. Is he going to call it stringbean towers or someting>?

5) The value of this sqaure block would probably exceed 20 billion dollars with the Real Estate on it now. Even if he could buy it, he will have to remove all the tall buildings now. Unless he is a terroist, taking down all these buildings might somewhat disrupt most of uptown. Then the cost of building his building (at least a couple of billion) which is the least expensive part of the equation. Even Bill Gates or Warren Buffet as a team would get goose pimples from this.

I think your friend is quite dillusional and perhaps a bit naive. I think your friend has MUCH less money than you think if he is even pondering this.

Enclosed are 2 pictures of the ares you are talking about....TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT IT. If you stilll want to continue this thread...go ahead but dont expect anymore replies from me.
This is the end of the debate. Way to put the final nail in the coffin, brad. The whole idea is as ridiculous as those emails you get telling you about some billionaire who needs to move some money and needs your account info to do it

Again, I bet my silver car, my red car, and $20,000 that this does not happen.

Disclaimer: State of Massachusetts does not allow gambling so the aforementioned bet is not a legally binding wager.

Unless I win
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaybrad View Post
which street is this and in between which avenues?

PS: For ebaybrad and sicksubie, think about it for a second, do you think I have enough time to make this whole story up?
I don't have time for this ****, I am working here like 14~18 hours a day...

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-13-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:02 AM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
I am sorry but I do not like the sound of this thread. Please look at my profile/occupation and you will see why. I hope the administrators of this forum put a lock on this thread. If your "friend" really has the money to do this why are you asking a bunch of people on a "car" network for answers. I am sure he can hire the very best for answers. Chris/Chris please put an end to this thread. Thank You.
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
I am sorry but I do not like the sound of this thread. Please look at my profile/occupation and you will see why. I hope the administrators of this forum put a lock on this thread. If your "friend" really has the money to do this why are you asking a bunch of people on a "car" network for answers. I am sure he can hire the very best for answers. Chris/Chris please put an end to this thread. Thank You.
What's your profile got to do with everything?

Are you OK man?

Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM

I got it. You are right, CorSVXette. Bad choice of words.

As a New Yorker..I truly understand. I also smelt it, felt it and dealt with it.

Refresh your browser and see....

as I am sure you did, I lost a lot that day.

I agree that this is a dumb place to ask a question like this and we or I are certainly not the "very best" to ask this question to.
Unless he is going to call it SVX Tower???? hmm......not a bad idea since we helped out so much????

Nuff said.

1996 SVX LSI 28k

Last edited by ebaybrad; 11-13-2007 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Now I got it... You are both over obsessed...

Bad news for the both of you KIDS (yeah, since both of you are new around here...), stop the OVER-imagination because none of what you are thinking of is feasible...

Moreover, have you ever heard of Google Earth? Guess not... so please get back, the both of you, to your imaginary heavenly closets, and play with your dolls.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 11-13-2007 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM

Whoaaa...... Calm down here. We are simply making sure you know the stupidity behind the idea of a 90 story building going up in that part of NYC. You should take kindly to this advice and make sure your friend knows who he is dealing with during this "research" as it could be a scam. Remember the saying a fool and his money are soon parted. It is simply a 100% impossibility. The current owners would never move out for any amount of money. For (a) they are exuberantly wealthy already and money means nothing to them and (b) that is the MOST sought after urban area to live in (IMHO) in the United States.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Whoaaa...... Calm down here. We are simply making sure you know the stupidity behind the idea of a 90 story building going up in that part of NYC. You should take kindly to this advice and make sure your friend knows who he is dealing with during this "research" as it could be a scam. Remember the saying a fool and his money are soon parted. It is simply a 100% impossibility. The current owners would never move out for any amount of money. For (a) they are exuberantly wealthy already and money means nothing to them and (b) that is the MOST sought after urban area to live in (IMHO) in the United States.
Man I really get FURIOUS when people start giving me hard time about all what happened 6 years ago in NY for the reason that my location says "Middle East"...

What is wrong with people man?

Does it make them satisfied if I tell him that my dad's grandma was a pure German and my grandma (mom's mother) is pure French?

I am semi European and I am Christian! Let's see if they are satisfied now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: