How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-04-2007, 05:03 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Out of all the problems I had, the svx never left me stranded. All of the problems allowed me to continue to get home with caution
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Well, I'd love to join the crowd here but I can't say the same. I was one of those folks that had the fear of purchasing one due to the problems that I knew about. The two main problems that discouraged me was:

1) Possibility of needing to buy a new transmission,

2) Wheel bearing issues.

I have been part of the SVX community since the yahoo days and I only bought one last year. Those two items scared the crap out of me, especially the tranny so I said I would never purchase one unless the person I bought it off of cared for their car (Thanks Chike).

Another thing that discouraged me is the car's weight. I always felt like Subaru was used to making lightweight or fairly lightweight vehicles. Going to this heavy car would pose them some long term problems due to parts being stressed over the years and eventually breaking. It was just my personal philosophy. Funny thing is, I still feel this way about the SVX (Not the late model Subarus). It just the transition from to the SVX and it being new territory and all. The car looks so heavy.

I don't drive it much. Perhaps my attitude needs to change with threads like this. Currently, I have anti-freeze leaking from somewhere (It never hits the ground but I smell it big time) and a left turn, clicking from the drivers side. I just have been lazy to fix those items. No other problems I know of. Something in me though is just waiting for something major to happen. I'm a pessimist at heart so.

I do like the car very much though. Always wanted one, hence me lurking forever on the boards.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 11-04-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 PM
SVX- My daily driving Corvette

Send a message via AIM to CorSVXette
Classic SVX
You talk about a transmission cooler and in-line filter. Is that a good idea for these cars? Should I install those things?
1995 Corolla
2003 Highlander
Old 11-04-2007, 06:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx View Post
Well, I'd love to join the crowd here but I can't say the same. I was one of those folks that had the fear of purchasing one due to the problems that I knew about. Something in me though is just waiting for something major to happen. I'm a pessimist at heart so.

I do like the car very much though. Always wanted one, hence me lurking forever on the boards.
The bad reputation, because most of the stuff posted here, relates to problems is surely the reason for this thread. I came here after purchasing my car and the inference was that I had been stupid and purchased a lemon. By contrast the SVX has been the best all round car I have owned, and I have had a good cross section of makes and models.

When I delved deeper, it did not take long to realise the degree of abuse dealt out to the car on many fronts. Four wheel burn out attempts, red line at every opportunity, mods galore upsetting the original design parameters, stalled transmission starts, etc. Worst of all, piss poor butcher mechanics.

Most cars well over ten years old and with over 100,000 miles achieved, and all that is visible to visitors here, is moan bloody moan.

THE SVX IS A DAMN GOOD AUTOMOBILE.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
No matter what automotive forum you go to, you're going to hear stories of broken cars. It's what forums are for. The more "love" you read from a forum, usually the more reliable the car.
The most love I've ever seen in a forum is at the www.fordpinto.com forums. The Pinto guys not only love thier cars, they suffer the slings & arrows of it's "firey" reputation. (yeah 7 cars caught fire injuring around 15 people) Taking that out of the picture, Pintos are likely MORE reliable than any Subie, & cheaper to fix. (unless you bend it)
The Subie sites I belong to are more friendly though. (subaruxt.com USMB, & here)
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Turbone Send a message via AIM to Turbone Send a message via Yahoo to Turbone Send a message via Skype™ to Turbone
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorSVXette View Post
You talk about a transmission cooler and in-line filter. Is that a good idea for these cars? Should I install those things?
Yes, by all means, install a cooler and change out the in-line filter. If yours has the recall filter on it, you can change it to the Perma Cool set up.
Look in the "How To Docs", theres info for both installs.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 PM
Graphic Artist

I hate to be the one to disagree, but the svx was well thought out in may areas, the others, however, are for more prone to failure than most modern cars (the exception being land rover, the other car I own.)

In many areas, the car indeed was a new platform, and deserved to be designed as such, but for whatever reasons, subaru really dropped the ball on the last 5% of development.

While it is certainly not a major issue, the sun visors will provide me with an excellent example, regardless.

If one tears into the visors they will find that they are EXACTLY the same visors used on all loyal and GL-DL cars, they have simply been wrapped in velour, as a result, the retaining ring cracks due to additional weight. And we have to replace them.

The 4EAT was designed to push a lighter car with a smaller motor, if heat doesn't kill your tranny, then the weight will grenade the front diff, it's a matter of time.

Bearings, PS pump, brake system, all designed for lighter cars, all fail.

I love my SVX, I love what Subaru did right, which is most of the car. Someone obviously loved this car in the design stage, and it shows. I salute Subaru for allowing the public to drive something almost no one ever gets the chance too.

We get to drive a concept car. I just wish they had conceptualized better.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-04-2007, 07:45 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
The 4EAT was designed to push a lighter car with a smaller motor, if heat doesn't kill your tranny, then the weight will grenade the front diff, it's a matter of time. ........
Bearings, PS pump, brake system, all designed for lighter cars, all fail.

-Patrick
Thanks Pat for putting what I was trying to say in a better assortment of words.

I still ain't giving this car up though.
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 11-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have probably abused my car as much as anyone here. It now has 19 track days on it, for a total abuse duration of almost 30 hours. It has almost failed me a couple of times, but always got me back home. Closest shave was when the power steering return hose split at Pocono. Luckily the local mechanic fabbed a replacement out of generic high pressure hose, and I got home. Most esoteric problem was when the power steering pump began hemorrhaging, spilling fluid on the AC belt, which jumped a groove and wore a hole in the timing belt cover, allowing a plastic shard of the cover to get lodged between the belt and the cog, causing the belt to jump a tooth or two. Young Tom scoped that one out and got my power back.

This post is just to reaffirm 2 points made previously. The car is no more fragile than the great majority of cars out there. Remember that our community, among car groups, is celebrating cars well beyond social security car years. Most of these cars aren't garage queens, either. Many of them are daily drivers and don't even have benefit of garages. Yet they plug on from day to day giving good service for 150,000 mile vehicles.

The second point is the necessity of having a good mechanic who knows the cars. The Subaru dealership checked out my car when I complained it was down on power and didn't find the shredded timing belt cover and jumped belt. I had to call in Super Tom for the rescue.

By the way, had a great day at Lime Rock Saturday. Will post some pics when they come out.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 11-05-2007, 05:08 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
I don't think it's that the SVX is unreliable at all. Just that it can be quite expensive to properly maintain, especially if you frequently enjoy spirited driving.

I think the main point of unreliability is the automatic transmission. This, I have to agree with. However, I also have a 5 speed manual transmission in mine. After that, my problems have gone away(other than MAF, coil pack, lower control arm bolt) and most issues have been generated by me.

Over-all I love my car. There aren't many I'd be willing to take in it's place. Sadly, it seems the 2door sports car is on it's way out, so I'll be driving mine as long as humanly possible.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
IMO, it's not that they're unreliable, but when something goes wrong it's just hard to find someone that knows enough about them to fix them.
I continue to be surprised by how much trouble folks seem to have finding someone competent to service an SVX. Guess I should count my blessings.

In four years of SVX ownership, my mechanic's only dismissive comment about my cars targeted Subaru in general and had to do with the cost of tone wheels: "Fifteen cents wortha pot metal!" for close to $200 bucks each. And he didn't believe me at first when I told him my teal SVX had a rear wheel bearing going bad again, after some 40,000 miles. When once I asked the tech if changing the plugs and cam cover gaskets had given him any trouble, he rolled his eyes and said, "Pffft." Foolish of me to ask.

Someone raised the excellent point that these are old cars that should be driven and maintained as such to remain roadworthy. I cringe every time I read here of someone having this problem or that at "WOT." Spend much time there in a fifteen year old car and, well, duh... that car is not long for this world. And thus the fleet dwindles.

The bottom line is that with the exception of one dead battery (which was overdue to be replaced), my cars get me home. So long as they do that, they're earning their keep.

dcb
Old 11-05-2007, 07:18 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Aye

On balance I am for the motion, and I have always said to intending owners that once they buy a good, cared-for SVX and attend to the known problems, they have got a very reliable vehicle.

On the other side of the argument, Kevin and Patrick are not wrong, there are parts of the car under-engineered, at least under-engineered for the uses to which it may be put.

A tranny cooler is needed. A well and properly rebuilt gearbox will last the life of the car.

Bearings once gone the first time will probably always recur unless the installer does it all perfect. Even doing this it is my opinion that the OEM bearings have an inadequate spec for the weight of the car and the forces it exerts. The heavier grade bearings installed by Tony in Australia have never broken down even under the most extreme use.

Knowing all these problems I would still buy another. The combination of virtues this car has far outweighs the known problems.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
The combination of virtues this car has far outweighs the known problems.

Joe
Well said !!!

Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 01:29 PM
<-- custom hood ornament

Send a message via AIM to AlcyoneDaze Send a message via Yahoo to AlcyoneDaze
In a year (celebrating next week!) of owning this car, I haven't had to do anything beyond what I would label as standard maintenance: tires, belts, radiator, brakes, hoses, sensors, etc...

When you include stuff that falls under standard SVX maintenance, replacing the wheel bearings, brakes all around, and transmission ARE standard wear items for this car - i knew that before I bought it and suck it up

In response to the non-WOT crowd, I fully understand that every run up to 130mph is probably shaving years off the end, but its kinda like smoking; the last years are the wheezing, dying, crappy years anyway - so live for the present. have fun with what is a well-built reliable daily drivable car that sees 200+k regularly
JDM 'ALCYONE' Rear Panel
JDM 'BOXER' Eingngine Cover
JDM 'SVX' Hood Badge
L-Edition Suede Rear Seats
Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Alcyone ... the brightest star

Looking in the 1996 Canadian Car guide from the Toronto Auto Show ... it lists the SVX at $45000 cdn ...
well if I bought the car today at around $5000 I guess ...
I could justify putting another $40000 into it to make it good as new or better

Bob