How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Classic SVX
legacy vs outback?

I have a chevy s10 blazer that I use as a work truck. Hauling, mudding, all around 'do whatever I want it to do crap vehicle'. It served me well but has been found lacking lately. It stalls intermittantly and I can't figure out why. I've changed more parts than I'd like to admit. So, it may be time for a new beast. I've been looking at the outback and wondering what the diff between it and the Legacy wagon is. Can they tow light loads like a trailer with a rider mower in it or should I look for another truck?

Greg
Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
As far as I know, the differences are few. I thought they were just limited to a raised suspension and extra body cladding on the outback. You can also get the 3.0L in the Outback...I think.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Depends on the year, man. The Outback started out as a rigged Legacy but it soon became it's own platform. Outbacks are designed I think with higher clearance and more rugged... design.. in general while the Legacy is more of a family GT/grocery getter depending on trim.

I would not get a Legacy to replace even a light truck.

What do you intend to haul, and on what terrain?

--
Oh, I should point out for no particular reason, I was able to fit a refridgerator into a 2nd gen (or maybe 3rd, same gen as SVX) Legacy wagon earlier this year.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-01-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
That would be first gen
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Nuh uh there was an XT6 era Legacy wagon. This was the one after that. I mean the Lagacys based off the SVX. I know in 92 they were still selling the first gens.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
XT6 88-91
1st Gen Leg 90-94
SVX 92-97
2nd Gen Leg 95-99
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM

Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
Depends on the year, man. while the Legacy is more of a family GT/grocery getter depending on trim.

I would not get a Legacy to replace even a light truck.

What do you intend to haul, and on what terrain?
I'm looking at new. I do a fair of home remodeling but the heavy work comes in with hauling firewood so I'm usually back in the woods where traction is a factor. And, there's usually a pretty good load in the trailer. If I can get another piece of wood on a 10 ft trailer I will. The blazer has never even grunted. I might have to drop it down into low 4 to get out but I always got out. I've also towed an f150 for a couple of hundred miles on a dolly but don't look to doing that kind of work often.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
XT6 88-91
1st Gen Leg 90-94
SVX 92-97
2nd Gen Leg 95-99
By based off of the SVX and XT I mean the rear reflector panel. This is what I use to identify by generations.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...k369/14924.JPG
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~awempl.../mysubaru.html
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...tess/28003.jpg
http://www.easternautoworks.homestea...95legacy1.html

It was a 2nd gen and you can fit a fridge in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghopkins
I'm looking at new. I do a fair of home remodeling but the heavy work comes in with hauling firewood so I'm usually back in the woods where traction is a factor. And, there's usually a pretty good load in the trailer. If I can get another piece of wood on a 10 ft trailer I will. The blazer has never even grunted. I might have to drop it down into low 4 to get out but I always got out. I've also towed an f150 for a couple of hundred miles on a dolly but don't look to doing that kind of work often.
If you want a new vehicle and think a Subaru will do the job I'd get an H6 Outback. I dunno how much weigh you'd be pulling but I imagine they can haul around 2000lbs.
Would defeinitely not be the first time someone has attached a trailer to an OB.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 05-01-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Locker Link Solution

I've been pulling well over 1500 lbs with a 2.2l Legacy AWD that has over 200k on it.
In fact, I think the trailer I used to tow my bike a few towns was 1500 on it's own. I put the 600 lbs bike on it with a few exhausts, an engine hoist, a set of tools, the 33 gallon air tank and compressor and a number of other small items.

I think it hauls well, not sure how it would appreciate it on a daily basis though.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Hater

the latest gen Outbacks have taller ground clearance, softer suspension, and smaller brakes than their Legacy counterparts, aside from cosmetic differences.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
If you can afford to drop $20K+ on a car to run in the woods, MY suggestion is to buy another truck! something used and abused, and buy a sweet Outback to take the kids for ice cream! I have 2 Outbacks that NEVER go into the woods. I DO haul parts, tools, materials, etc in them. I also have an old beater truck that hauls anything that I need moved. As far as 2nd gen Outbacks, they come with 4:44 gears and I have never found 'power' to be an issue, but I did put 60 series tires on one of mine and it is a little quicker than it was.
When it snows, I use the Outbacks to get the bread and milk and to haul my butt to work.( and to haul bread and milk to the non-Outback owners that I know).
For hauling, I use a $700. GMC 3/4 ton. Most places remove the snow from the roads in a day or 2.

I have hauled firewood in my 90 Legacy wagon and it didn't even notice, but it sure made a MESS of the interior! ( I try to have my firewood hauled before the snow comes)
( 2 cents worth)

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 05-01-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
If you're looking at new, pick up a BAJA, there are still some leftovers floating around, then you have a small (very) truck bed still, and the same ground clearance as the Outback (which is more than a Ford Explorer)
Light trialors are no problem for any of them, but a manual tranny will be best for pulling.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-02-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
If I can get another piece of wood on a 10 ft trailer I will.
My GL wagon used to haul firewood, hay, feed, whatever without complaint (I kept the cargo bay covered with a tarp for easy cleanup) so a Legacy wagon would surely be up to similar tasks. But no Subaru is a good candidate for lugging a 10-ft. trailer fully laden with wood.

dcb
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
I have a 91 corolla wagon I use for hauling a trailor. It has towed a motorcycle, a mower, a couple freezers... If it can handle towing, I dont see why a new legacy/outback wouldnt be able to.

Last edited by wannarace928; 05-02-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
I'm not familiar with any structural differences between the Legacy and the Outback. They may vary in "ruggedness" in appearance, but the frame's the same (and always has been), AFAIK.

Regarding rear reflectors, the 2000-2004 Legacy and Outback also tout them. It's probably far from true to associate the XT, Legacy/Outback, and SVX platforms with the word "based" between them. The Legacy has been the basis of the Forester and Impreza for some time (much to the denial of many WRX owners), given a stretch or cut here and there, but I don't know if that still holds true.

To topic: If you're using the car for cargo, it's quite simple that you need to evaluate which is capable and which is best based on what you're moving by material, frequency, and method. For interior, it's your judgment, based on acceptable abuse. For towing, I recall that the 2.5L NA engines were rated at 1500# or more for capacity. This should all be standard online fare, for Subaru's rated capacities.

If you're seeking advice from experience, (besides asking for it outright to avoid speculation,) you might best try Legacygt.com, as they cater mostly to the latest gen Legacy/Outback, and can offer the most advice by volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
...no Subaru is a good candidate for lugging a 10-ft. trailer fully laden with wood.
This is very likely on the mark.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: