Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Belated $2006 Challenge Kudos to Benebob

Since I was the first to build a dedicated racer out of an SVX to take to the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge, I wanted to check in after the $2006 Challenge and offer my congratulations to Dave and Ben on a job extremely well done. It's taken me this long as life has been full, and I have precious little time to spend on this forum, much to my chagrin. I miss you guys!

Dave and Ben, congrats! Your car ran beautifully, and I really enjoyed seeing what you accomplished with it. The finish was exceptional at that level of competition. Honestly, I am not of the opinion that an SVX will ever be able to place higher. We spent so much time under the hood of our car that I had no where near enough time to spend with you, but I was impressed.

I know that deep inside you probably wanted to meet the SVreX head to head. I'll go public with this and confess that I think you would have beat her if she had returned this year, but her Challenge years for me are finished. So I'll tip my hat to you.

Caution: If you dare to show up in '07, you might have to take home one of those "I got BEAT by a Yugo" buttons we were giving out! Our car will be a terror next year.

Enjoyed it a lot! I look forward to seeing it on the rallyx circuits!

If anyone is intrerested in building a great SVX racer, I will be selling off the SVreX at a very good price very soon. She's still got a lot of life left in her, I've just moved on. Contact me. I'll will make sure to post it here before I E-bay her. I owe too much to this board!

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC

Last edited by svxhunter; 01-01-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Paul,
I was wondering where you'd gotten off to
Any further thoughts on how the 'reX might be able to make its way up the coast? Drop me a PM when you've got a moment.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-01-2007, 10:10 PM

SVXRide:

PM'ed you.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 01-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Geez, I'm getting old...

What happened to the PM's???

SVXRide: I'm apparantly too old to understand this newfangled junk. Can't seem to figure out how to PM you.

I'll be heading up the east coast near you later this month in a big empty truck. Bringing her along might be a possibility. Interested?

Old 01-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Geez, I'm getting old...

What happened to the PM's???

SVXRide: I'm apparantly too old to understand this newfangled junk. Can't seem to figure out how to PM you.

I'll be heading up the east coast near you later this month in a big empty truck. Bringing her along might be a possibility. Interested?
Paul,
PMs are still around -- click on "User CP" then use the send new message feature.

Interested? Sure, if the price is right (currently recovering from Christmas ). You can email me at william.e.cutlip@nasa.gov. Don't worry if I don't respond immediately, as I'm off to Denver to talk about a mission to an asteroid

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:

Paul,
If you are going up I-75, get with me, if you can swing by, and I'll take you for a ride in FrankenWedge
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 01-03-2007, 12:54 PM

Bill:

I e-mailed you. Let's talk soon, please.
Hey, that e-mail address is at NASA. I thought you were kidding about a mission to an asteroid!

Huck:

If I'm going to go through Maryland (for Bill), I'll need to ride on I-95, not I-75. But I am anxiouly awaiting my first FrankenRide!!

This thread seems to have chased a rabbit or two...

Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Wow... this thread got hijacked in a few different directions before I ever saw it

Thanks for the congrats Paul, it really was a wonderful time down there. It was great meeting all the dedicated GRMers and amazing to see what some of them have built for $2006.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see the Racer go up against SVreX, maybe someday...
Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest
Wow... this thread got hijacked in a few different directions before I ever saw it

Thanks for the congrats Paul, it really was a wonderful time down there. It was great meeting all the dedicated GRMers and amazing to see what some of them have built for $2006.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see the Racer go up against SVreX, maybe someday...

Perhaps sooner than you think
-Bill

My Locker
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
question is, who is going to be there next year? I am hoping to build a contender that may rival both

Tom
Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 AM

I'll be there.

I'll have a car that would not make most people on this board very proud, but it will be a serious contender.

I'm building a second car that may make it, but is more likely to be an '08 candidate which the SVX folks will be a little more excited about.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
well then I hope to see you next year

Tom
Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
I'll be there.

I'll have a car that would not make most people on this board very proud, but it will be a serious contender.

I'm building a second car that may make it, but is more likely to be an '08 candidate which the SVX folks will be a little more excited about.

Serious contender huh? You can't take the U out of Yugo ya know? Glad to finally meet ya though. It definately was a blast. I know I can't come back this year but we're already going over a few ideas for a 08ish car that will have an incredible power to weight ratio closer to that of a cycle then a car!

Oh and if you want the Rex to have a chance against ours, don't let Bill behind the wheel! .

I just wish I could do the fuzy math that most everybody there seems to abide by. Nubs still on $800 Hoosiers that are "used" and valued at $75!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Serious contender huh? You can't take the U out of Yugo ya know? Glad to finally meet ya though. It definately was a blast. I know I can't come back this year but we're already going over a few ideas for a 08ish car that will have an incredible power to weight ratio closer to that of a cycle then a car!

Oh and if you want the Rex to have a chance against ours, don't let Bill behind the wheel! .

I just wish I could do the fuzy math that most everybody there seems to abide by. Nubs still on $800 Hoosiers that are "used" and valued at $75!
were's my "tongue sticking out" smilie when I need it...
-Bill

My Locker
Old 01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
were's my "tongue sticking out" smilie when I need it...
-Bill
The quickly approaching wall scared it, and it ran away