How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
you won't find any simpathy here I can tell you that much. Doing 130 while your car is leaking oil is extremely stupid. You are leaking enough oil to make your lifters tap?? maybe you should think about getting that fixed before you drive it again.

tom
Old 09-21-2006, 11:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
Thanks for all your help. The noise did not start until after the trip.
I park my car in the student lot which is HUGE, all the spots have some sort of stain on them. If I put some cardboard under my car, would anybody be able to tell me where the leak is based on the location of the drip? If im leaking at all. I might just be burning oil
Old 09-21-2006, 11:59 AM

No, not really. The cardboard would let you know the cars leaking oil but won't really be able to tell you where the leaks coming from. There are too many rails, hoses, and stuff in the way that can make the oil travel some distance before it finally drips from the car. Your gonna have to crawl under and look. The car comes with a plastic skidplate like cover that cosumes a big portion of the underneath area of the car. You will probably have to remove that in order to get a good look at the motor. It may not still be there. If you can see the pulleys and belts when you crawl underneath then the plastic belly plate is not there anymore. Otherwise remove the plate. Then take some carb cleaner or some kind of gasket safe grease remover and spray the underneath of the car, let it soak and hose it off real good. Run the car untill the motor is warmed up, then turn the motor off, and get underneath and look again. Once you get an general location of where the oil is coming from then we can go from there. Untill then it would be just a guessing game. Keep in mind that if you are running synthetic oil, the leak will be harder to locate after driving in rain, or washing the affected area. For whatever reason synthetic oil washes off easier. Don't ask me why.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
where is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX PlayBoy
Thanks for all your help. The noise did not start until after the trip.
I park my car in the student lot which is HUGE, all the spots have some sort of stain on them. If I put some cardboard under my car, would anybody be able to tell me where the leak is based on the location of the drip? If im leaking at all. I might just be burning oil
Do you have any history of what has been replaced in the past? My first guess would be cam cover gaskets...I mean cam seals...I mean front crank seal...or all of the above

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
Alright, fixed the oil problem. But now the car is having trouble starting. It is real slow to turn over. Plus my headlights dim when I hit the brakes, and get brighter as I hit the gas. Pretty much everything gets dim or slows down. Bad battery or altenator? If its the battery, is there any other car battery that would fit and do the job? I know the SVX battery isnt carried at pep-boys or autozone. thanks in advance
Old 09-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Your alternator is working but you may want to measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running to see exactly what the alternator is doing.