Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Power Seat Failure

My drivers seat has picked up a new habit. It refuses to go forward. It moves backwards fast as can be and all the tilt functions work just fine but its temperamental when it comes to going forward. Once this week it refused to go forward. i'm only 5 ft 1 so the seat moving forward is a must! Unfortunately the seat gets moved back at least twice a week so i cant just set in one spot and leave it there forever.

Does anyone know what is causing its issue? There is some stuff that maybe in the track but it seems to me that would affect it going backward too. I would clean it but that involves moving the seat and who knows if it will decide to move where i need it! Any possible causes that wouldnt cost me a bundle to fix? If its expensive i may just buy a seat from the local junk yard but i dont want to scrap my seat that is in good condition for one that is in less than ok condition if i could fix my own!

I searched and i must either be the only person with this issue or i'm the only short person here!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
My driver's seat has a similar issue. My tilt forward function does not usually work when I am sitting on the seat. If I take my weight off the bottom cushion, my tilt for my seatback funstions normally. I believe it to be a short in the wires, possibly kinked in a bad place or something. I dont really worry about it too much.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

my drivers seat will not move forward or backwards either. The tilt works fine though. I dunno what it is but its annoying becase i really wanna move my seat back a little.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I imagine one motor moves the seat forward and back so it must just be the connection in the switch?
There is a lot of history of condensation getting under our seats and messing with electronics.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX
condensation...
i wouldn't have imagined that one.
i would have thought something like that would be more of a short or bad wire kind of problem
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
I have the solution!!!

Buy my old L model seats

J/k. probly a short or loose connection. this may seem obvious, but try making sure the plugs under the seat are securly fastened together
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
The forward/reverse is a single motor with two leads going to a switch and two power leads coming into it. The switch reverses the flow in one direction and straight through in the other. If it goes one direction fine, the problem will be in the switch itself, not any wiring.

Here is how the seat switch is designed

The switch itself probably has a broken part inside or a corrosion problem. The switch is a pricey thing at $170 (64225PA811MD) but chances are a good disassembly, cleaning and re-greasing (with dielectric grease) will bring it back to life.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
strange - never heard of anyone having a problem with the power seats before and now multiple people speak up on it. I always thought they were flawless. I guess that will be the next thing to go on mine
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Maybe Mechanical

There have been several posts in the past including by me. Sometimes the problem is not electrical at all. Some of the apparatus under the seat gets bent upward and actualy wedges in the mechanism and keeps the seat from moving forward. You can either try to reach under there and bent things back down or unbolt the seat and start to take it out, but before removing it--try the switch again with the seat lifted upward slightly. I am betting that it is a mechanical obstruction.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 03-09-2006, 10:11 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
I searched and i must either be the only person with this issue or i'm the only short person here!
No, you're not... I'm only 5'0" even.... and now I'm never letting anyone move my seat..............

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Add me to the list! I am having the same problems, the seat itself wasn't in the best of shape costmetically so i bought a used one in a bit better condition, hopefully the power switch works on this one!! BTW its very uncomfortable driving with the seat all the way back, being only 5'11''!
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via MSN to DreamingOfSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to DreamingOfSpeed
Oh yay! I'm not the shortest person on the site! I havent had a chance to look into the issue this weekend (shame it was great weather) Hopefully next weekend i will have time (if i get off my butt and write my research paper!)

I'm guessing alot of your cars were/are only driven by one person. Mine was originally owned by a couple who switched daily so the seat got moved alot for the first 10 years, then it went to a car lot where it was a popular test drive car so the seat got moved alot, then i bought it and my dad drives it every 3 or 4 days so we move it alot. Thats alot of wear on it compared to those lucky cars that get one owner who never lets anyone else drive it.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:27 PM

hey

Sorry to hear about your driver seats going bad. But i have a spare driver side seat with a good working motor... If you are interested let me know.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001
BTW its very uncomfortable driving with the seat all the way back, being only 5'11''!
That's odd. I'm just under 5'11'' and I would like to go back a little farther than the seat will allow sometimes.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Different sort of power seat problem

The power seat in the new pearlie goes forward and back just fine and tilts fore and aft as it was designed to.

But the seat back itself has limited travel. It goes from almost vertical back only about 20 degrees (where the seat back usually) is and then stops. It refuses to recline any further.

My first pearlie, as well as my 96 driver's seat, will recline back as far as the rear seat will allow. Anything I should check for?

Obviously, the seat has power and it shouldn't be a track issue, like the seat bottom movement. What could be obstructing the seat back?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 03-13-2006 at 07:37 PM.