Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-24-2006, 09:33 PM

Air Conditioning Help!

Tranny Nightmare...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost me $3200 to get tranny rebuilt. Apparently in process of removal or install they banged or otherwise wacked AC line, damaging compressor O ring and total loss of freon. AC shop charged me $380 to "fix" it...BUT the condenser fan didn't work and my system has pressures of 29 psi to 290! I was told fan needed to be replaced and that the extra pressure could cause trouble if I used the air when it was in the 90s. Tried the air once (at 73 degrees)...felt like a chipmunk blowing air over a snowcone! Pathetic! My air was ice cold before the tranny rebuild. Now AC techs tell me the high pressure blew a switch in the fluid line, letting all the freon out and that there was no point in fixing the switch until fan also replaced. Their tab to do this...$650! Techs claim switch comes in line and is only available from Subaru.
What do you think and can you direct me to a drawing of the AC system?
I need the parts # for the fluid line and a picture/drawing/schematic. A used fluid line (?) would be terrific.
Thanx,
WGJ
Old 02-27-2006, 06:25 AM

SubaruParts.com

They usually have great diagrams. Make an account and you wil find an exploded view that should fit your need. http://www.subaruparts.com
Old 02-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
Tranny Nightmare...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cost me $3200 to get tranny rebuilt. Apparently in process of removal or install they banged or otherwise wacked AC line, damaging compressor O ring and total loss of freon. AC shop charged me $380 to "fix" it...BUT the condenser fan didn't work and my system has pressures of 29 psi to 290! I was told fan needed to be replaced and that the extra pressure could cause trouble if I used the air when it was in the 90s. Tried the air once (at 73 degrees)...felt like a chipmunk blowing air over a snowcone! Pathetic! My air was ice cold before the tranny rebuild. Now AC techs tell me the high pressure blew a switch in the fluid line, letting all the freon out and that there was no point in fixing the switch until fan also replaced. Their tab to do this...$650! Techs claim switch comes in line and is only available from Subaru.
What do you think and can you direct me to a drawing of the AC system?
I need the parts # for the fluid line and a picture/drawing/schematic. A used fluid line (?) would be terrific.
Thanx,
WGJ
There is a high pressure saftey switch that will shut off the AC when it gets to high, unfortunatly that is usually when it is the hottest out.

Without the fan working, you will have problems, the AC will run for a minute or two than shut itself off. If you are on the freeway, it should work ok.

What year is your SVX? The switch location varies depending on year. The R134 systems (93 and up) have it at the rear of the engine and the part is 73085PA020. The R12 (92 and possibly some early 93's) have it in the line but I can't find a diagram to get the part number.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 02-27-2006, 12:44 PM

My Switch's Inline...

if you're standing in front of the car facing it, the switch is in a line running across the front, under the rad from right to left (passenger side). If the pressure activates the switch, is it like a fuse, and has to be replaced? Or do I just need to replace the fan, button everything up and recharge?
Thanks,
WGJ
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
I believe you are refering to the metering device (the orifice tube). This is located in line somewhere between the outlet of the condenser and the inlet of the evaporator. You should see small dimples placed in the line that keep the orifice tube from moving. It is common for these tubes to become clogged with small debris. The part is inexpensive, but the labor to replace one involves recovering the refrigerant, opening the system up, replacing the orifice tube, evacuating and then recharging. It might make sense to install a larger pre filter in front of the orifice tube to minimize the risk of of this problem reoccurring. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:05 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Like I said in the other thread:

It's the piece that plugs into the pipe of part# 73052PA110 (labelled as 73431i) at the following link:
LINK

I'll see if I can link to an image:
LINK
Old 02-27-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks Guys

your counsel is much appreciated. Now all I need to do is find a replacement switch.
WGJ