Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
What I get for driving on crap roads

Well I have been saying to myself for the past 2 weeks, "you know Tom, it's about time for a new set of rubbers" Well looks like I am pushed into it. On my way back to Philly to go to school tomorrow, ran over a man hole ring in the road. I was actually moving from the right lane to go around a guy changing his flat and hit the same manhole ring he did. I was considerate enough to get it out of the street before someone else hit it unlike the other guy. Not to mention there was a cop there, why didn't he think of getting it out of the street?? I am a little angry that this happened but I get to miss a day of classes(good and bad at the same time) but I have to buy 4 new tires. With any luck the town will re-emburse me for the tires so this may take a turn for the better. I hope the tire shop has my tires or can get them tomorrow and I will be on my way. Just figured I would share. svxfiles, if you read this, as of now, we are still on for thursday as long as I can get my tires by then. I had to unload the engine and all the other parts out of the back to get to my spare

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 03:19 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Yes they should reimburse you same as if you hit a pot hole..

btw how and why do you have an engine in your trunk.. lol

edit: I just talked to some friends and they say you may have to take pictures of whatever you hit as evidence along with pictures of your car, report the problem to ODOT (which was obviously removed), then submit your bill for reimbursement and cross your fingers. Good luck with that..

Last edited by Ricochet; 01-23-2006 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Ya can't fix stupid

Sorry to hear about the mishap, it could've really been a mess.

Last August, Kerry was back in Pa visiting his Grandparents and was on I-78 in a Neon, it was dark, he and 4 others HIT a truck wheel....yes the entire thing rim and tire....it was a chain reaction type thing.

The police found a trailer, missing a tire, up on I-80 pretty close to 78/80, but they couldn't prove it for sure that the wheel these four hit, belonged to him.

All four cars were totaled....one was a SUV of some sort, the Neon, a Camry and something else (I forget).

But I do have to smirk at the thought of Philly paying you anything. Good luck with that and I agree with Ricochet's friend....you best have pics and make a case. GOOD LUCK!

1992 SVX LSL Pearl

1992 SVX LSi Ebony

1992 SVX LSL Silver - parts
Old 01-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
I had to unload the engine and all the other parts out of the back to get to my spare
Glad you're okay Tom. Sorry to hear about manhole ring...

The cop must have been shocked when he saw how much stuff you took out of the back of your car. I've always teased you about how much stuff you lug around...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Maniac modifier

I had an EG33 block and crank along with an empty R160 shell, rods, pistons and my usual tools, they didn't know what they were looking at Anyway it happened in my local town of Beach Haven, I am not really relying on their cooperation but I am hoping for a little something out of em

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 07:46 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Meanwhile I'm worried about ruining my new mychailo springs with oem struts lugging an outback 4EAT from my house to your house...

And here you go running around with an engine in your trunk

2 engines... is that Tomstock stage 5? Hehe

In all seriousness, good luck with that. Did you get a police report?

See you this weekend
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 01-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Maniac modifier

Yeah I am gona go get the report later today. The shop told me they cannot get the Pirellis till tomorrow but I cannot wait as I need to get to Philly tomorrow. I may settle for the best tire they can find. I planned on getting another set of rx-7 wheels and tossing some racing tires on em anyway so I am looking for the best all seasons they can get their hands on today

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Yeah I am gona go get the report later today. The shop told me they cannot get the Pirellis till tomorrow but I cannot wait as I need to get to Philly tomorrow. I may settle for the best tire they can find. I planned on getting another set of rx-7 wheels and tossing some racing tires on em anyway so I am looking for the best all seasons they can get their hands on today

Tom
Tom, why not just drive down here, a 15 minute ride, and borrow one of my extra wheels for the week. I really don't need em, I have 3 stockers with decent tires that I got with the harpers ferry car. I have lugs too. Just gimme a call or something, I'll be at my house between 2 and 3:30 today, and then I'll be home after 8. It's no problem man
Old 01-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Maniac modifier

No worries, I am gonna pick up a good set of coopers. This will be my motivation to pick up another set of wheels with stickies for the summer

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 08:51 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
Meanwhile I'm worried about ruining my new mychailo springs with oem struts lugging an outback 4EAT from my house to your house...
Can't hurt my springs that way. Even if the springs are fully compressed (which can't be done when they are on the car because the strut will bottom out first), the springs will come back to their original shape.

Tom, good luck with getting reimbursed. Definitely get pics of your tires and the scene. The sooner the better. Did the cop witness you getting the manhole cover out of the way?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Tom,

How did your light-weight forged RX-7 wheels (at 12lbs each) hold up to the manhole abuse? I know some members have questioned their strength in the past...

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Maniac modifier

The wheels is just fine, there was still air leaking out of the tire when I got out of the car. I just hit something and said to myself, I gotte get out and check everything.

Mychailo, the cop saw me walk back and toss it out of the street. There was a guy in front of me who hit the same thing and blew his tire as well. Anyway im off to the PD and then get my new rubbers

Tom
Old 01-23-2006, 09:20 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Good question Chike.

Hey Tom, now you have a reason to replace your balding tires.

But that still sucks. At least it wasnt while you were doing 110 on the way to Philly...
Old 01-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Sorry to hear about the issues.

Did anyone else snicker while reading the thread?

Quote:
manhole abuse
...sounds painful!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Got my new Coopers. they are nice, handle very well in the wet and I hope the same for the dry. Very similar to the pirellis in tread design and they are quieter. I am happy with the purchase and it was time anyway.

David, you are a sick sick man

Tom