Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 01:57 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Thumbs up Installed cross-drilled/slotted rotors this weekend

I didn't install the steel-braided lines yet, but dispite the pedal being kind of mushy with the old brake lines, the car stops on a dime.

What I like about it is that it's a really smooth slow down with no fade. Also, the warmer the pads get the better (fronts are full metallic).

These are the ones I purchased from Ben a while back (can't even remember how long ago, probably 5 months ago).

I'm doing the brake lines in a week or so.

Any tips when doing those? Things to watch out for, etc...?

I'll take pics of the rotors in the next few days... They look sexy even with the stock rims.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)

Last edited by EddieSVX; 07-11-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Make sure you bleed at the air out of the system BEFORE you take that back mountin road at 100 miles per hour. personally I like my slotted ones and don't overheat the semi metallics and mabe the full metallics or it seems like you glaze them over and it takes a bit to get back to full braking potential.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
Make sure you bleed at the air out of the system BEFORE you take that back mountin road at 100 miles per hour. personally I like my slotted ones and don't overheat the semi metallics and mabe the full metallics or it seems like you glaze them over and it takes a bit to get back to full braking potential.
Yup, I try not to come to a complete dead stop... Usually slow down just before a stop light/intersection to about 5 MPH, and then after 10 ~ 20 feet of just letting the car roll then I stop... In hopes that it allows for enough air between the pads to cool em off a bit.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
Old 07-11-2005, 02:38 PM

I just did my brakes this weekend. When you replace the brake lines make sure you use a good brake line wrench. It looks like a box end wrench with a slot to fit the wrench over the brake line. I could not find mine and ended up using vise grips, which I would not recommend. I ended up finding the wrench when I was putting all my tools away after the job (what a pisser).

The other item of note is the OEM spring clips that hold the brake line in place will not fit on the stainless steel lines from Raceconcepts. I found new clips that worked perfect after visiting three parts stores. They cost 2.50 for a set of 4. I saved the package and will post the information when I get home.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:23 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnU
I just did my brakes this weekend. When you replace the brake lines make sure you use a good brake line wrench. It looks like a box end wrench with a slot to fit the wrench over the brake line. I could not find mine and ended up using vise grips, which I would not recommend. I ended up finding the wrench when I was putting all my tools away after the job (what a pisser).

The other item of note is the OEM spring clips that hold the brake line in place will not fit on the stainless steel lines from Raceconcepts. I found new clips that worked perfect after visiting three parts stores. They cost 2.50 for a set of 4. I saved the package and will post the information when I get home.
I actually noticed the size of the clips to literally wrap around the stock lines, which are smaller in diameter... So this is good info.

I'll be on the lookout for your post with the information. Really appreciate it!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
ilsegretosvx

This is funny, who didnt do their brakes this weekend? I did with the same slotted drilled Bradi rotors and PBR pads. The good...I really needed them...the bad, found out almost all my brake caliper pistons are sticking
Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsegretosvx
...the bad, found out almost all my brake caliper pistons are sticking
How can you tell? So far mine seem to be working fine, but seeing how they're 13 years old, I'd like to know the easiest way to diagnose any such problem.

Actually, the above question may sound like a dumb question, but the reason I asked was because for some odd reason I am thinking they're sticking in (as in, not actually pressing on the pads)... But you may have meant the more common, sticking out, or pressing onto the pads... Which is it?

Last edited by EddieSVX; 07-11-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:03 PM
ilsegretosvx

on almost every caliper one piston is sticking so I dont have even wear on the pads. The easist way I know how to figure out if the are sticking is by taking them off compressing both pistons at the same time and letting go. If one is sticking out further than the other, there you go. The problem is caused by rust and wear. Usally the piston boot is broken allowing water and grime to get in the sleeve and over time it goes bye bye. I practically broke a vise off the work bench trying to compress one side. All the above problems.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:05 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsegretosvx
on almost every caliper one piston is sticking so I dont have even wear on the pads. The easist way I know how to figure out if the are sticking is by taking them off compressing both pistons at the same time and letting go. If one is sticking out further than the other, there you go. The problem is caused by rust and wear. Usally the piston boot is broken allowing water and grime to get in the sleeve and over time it goes bye bye. I practically broke a vise off the work bench trying to compress one side. All the above problems.
Oh... hmmm... Then I definitely don't have that problem as my pads were wearing off evenly (fronts). The rears weren't as even, but they're single piston so that's to be expected to a degree.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Brake Clips

The brake line clips I used are Raybestos p/n H1457-2. Hope this helps
Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnU
The brake line clips I used are Raybestos p/n H1457-2. Hope this helps
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 AM

I had drilled and slotted rotors put in ,with abc pads and all i can say is wow . What a difference .The shop that put them on for me didn't say anything about bad calipers! Thank God I didn't do S.S. lines yet ,but that is for the future .
Old 07-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Duckie
Anyone know whats off with raceconcepts right now? I am trying to email them for a price quote but never get a response
Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to awdsvxh6
how much were those rotors?
Old 07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
Anyone know whats off with raceconcepts right now? I am trying to email them for a price quote but never get a response
I finally got ahold of them 3 weeks after I ordered last time... So I have no idea what is going on with them any more.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver