Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

My friend here owns an AE86 and he was looking at roll ceter adapters and he found something you get you drop springs in and then install under the shocks but just above the steering nuckle and it provides all the results and none of the down sides because it moves everything porportionally. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AE86-...QQcmdZViewItem
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-29-2005, 02:29 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
My friend here owns an AE86 and he was looking at roll ceter adapters and he found something you get you drop springs in and then install under the shocks but just above the steering nuckle and it provides all the results and none of the down sides because it moves everything porportionally. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AE86-...QQcmdZViewItem
Not that easy with the SVX. Suspension is different.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

Oh I wasn't sur does anybody have a good pic front or rear of the shock tower and steering knuckle maybe something similar can be adapted?
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Having the ball joint a bit lower than the control arm pivot is probably the best. The roll center will be closer to the CG, and by having the ball joint a little lower, the front suspension can undergo the maximum amount of camber compensation as the car leans in a corner.

People equate lowering the car with less of a tendency to lean during cornering. Lowering the car will reduce the tendency for the car to "jack up" during cornering because it does drop the roll center. This isn't a big problem though because at stock ride height, the roll center is already only about 2.75" above the ground. Lean is controlled more by the distance between the roll center of the car and the CG of the car. If the car is slammed by say 1.5" at the front, the roll couple (distance between the roll center and the CG) is going to be much larger than before the car was slammed, and the only thing that keeps the car from handling worse than before the car was lowered will be an increase in spring rate. With your GC springs, you could actually drop the car by 1.5", and it will probably handle better than stock. If you changed the drop to 0.5", it would probably handle better though.

For a mild increase in spring rate (such as my strut springs), I wouldn't recommend a 1.5" drop because no matter what is done with the roll center, the car will lean into the bump stops way too soon which also kills handling. For your GC setup dropped 1.5", it would be interesting to see how the car handles with the ball joints lowered.

Well I will have to see where I'm at right now, and what the stock ride hight is and reset my springs from there. I will probly go for .5 to 1" lower than stock just to keep as much suspension travel as possible. I will also have to look into spacing the ball joins a little to readjust the roll center.

I finnaly got the article so I could read for myself but there are some questions I wonder about. If the shorter the roll couple the better, than what if the RC and CG lined up perfectly? It also says the front to rear RC can be used to tune the cars handling. On our cars what effect would leaving the rear at stock hight but lower the front 1" without a ball joint spacer? Or would it really not matter becouse with stiffer springs and the new lower CG in the front that the differance in RC wouldn't be noticable? Or do they can suspension tuning a "black art" for a reason?
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 07-29-2005, 05:33 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundering02
Oh I wasn't sur does anybody have a good pic front or rear of the shock tower and steering knuckle maybe something similar can be adapted?
Some sort of extension needs to be added to the balljoint shaft so that the balljoint sits further below the steering knuckle. I have a couple ideas but haven't tried anything yet.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Following the path of the beam

Old thread I know but did we ever figure out if this was possible?
Or, rather, easily possible?

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 04-17-2007, 07:17 PM

I know this threads been dead for a while but it seems like a worth while upgrade. I found a pic on nasioc of a ball joint extension for a STi i know it wont directly work but it seems like the same basic design could be used for the SVX, its pretty much what i had in mind and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make, but we would still need to relocate the sterring rods to get rid of the bump steer that would be introduced by moving the ball joint. Heres a link to a nasioc thread covering them. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1085646

Last edited by svxsubaru1; 04-17-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Following the path of the beam

I too was interested in this mod.
But now I'm more interested in that pic.
I can tell instantly that nothing on that car would ever be compatible with mine.
I don't even know how that car runs at all.
How do all the parts even function without a nice coating of grime, dirt, oil, and muck.
That car obviously doesn't even have the self venting valve cover gaskets like mine. And without those how do all the suspension components remained lubricated with fresh oil?
Apparently the newer cars have taken a step backwards.

92 Ebony LS-L "Jabberwerwok" Now includes 1 *free "Wheeeeeee" per ride!
83 Honda Magna v45 "Grendel"

*Free after mail in rebate
Old 04-19-2007, 06:56 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
I know this threads been dead for a while but it seems like a worth while upgrade. I found a pic on nasioc of a ball joint extension for a STi i know it wont directly work but it seems like the same basic design could be used for the SVX, its pretty much what i had in mind and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to make, but we would still need to relocate the sterring rods to get rid of the bump steer that would be introduced by moving the ball joint. Heres a link to a nasioc thread covering them. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1085646
Ball joint extensions are now made for the Evo too. Its definitely a good mod for people looking to maximize traction on lowered cars. Someone just needs to engineer a solution for the SVX.

Visit my locker

Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
So bump steer is an inherent characteristic of the SVX regardless of the suspension setup used?

I noticed my bump steer getting much worse as my struts die one by one...
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 04-20-2007, 12:18 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
So bump steer is an inherent characteristic of the SVX regardless of the suspension setup used?

I noticed my bump steer getting much worse as my struts die one by one...
My 92 SVX, imported used from Japan, is absolutely neutral in all respects relative to handling. It most certainly does not bump steer, in any shape or form. This factor is an absolute credit in respect of design. If the car was otherwise I would not own it.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Its a Classic!

whats bump steer?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:07 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
The ball joint extensions aren't meant to alter bumpsteer. Their main purpose is to restore the camber curve on cars with MacPherson strut suspensions that have been lowered significantly.

Visit my locker

Old 04-20-2007, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050
whats bump steer?
When the steering/suspension geometry is such that, on hitting a bump in the road, as a result the car car "steers" off the intended line.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
The ball joint extensions aren't meant to alter bumpsteer. Their main purpose is to restore the camber curve on cars with MacPherson strut suspensions that have been lowered significantly.
So without extensions on a lowered car will you get uneven tire wear? Tom is building me a set of Koni/GC's this summer. I would be very interested in what getting an extension made entails.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5