Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 05-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Koni bolt ons? Who would build them

I am looking to upgrade to the koni inserts. Is there anyone on the board who will sell me a bolt on strut kit on a core return basis? Let me know.

Tom
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
It's really not all that hard to do. Are you just worried about the downtime? I did all four in one weekend. It would have taken a lot less time if I had better tools. I would say that the most time consuming part is removing the struts from the car.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
I'm looking into having Dave Clark Motorsports in Seattle build and sell a bolt-on strut kit. He's got a business license, so he should be able to get the Koni inserts at a good price. I'm thinking of combining the Koni's with some stiffer strut springs or some moderate rate coil-overs.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Expression of Extreme Interest

I would buy a set in a heartbeat. Also, your upsized rear sway bar.

__________________________________________________ ______________
94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 82,000, Smallcar shift kit; ECUTune Stage 1, v1.4; Green Air Filter; Flowmaster SS cat, resonator, and Bullet muffler; Race Concepts drilled and slotted rotors, semi-metallic pads and SS brake lines; Summit Racing transmission cooler; Phenolic spacers; Rota Boost 17x8; 245/40-17 BFG g-Force T/A KDW-2
Old 05-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXer95
It's really not all that hard to do. Are you just worried about the downtime? I did all four in one weekend. It would have taken a lot less time if I had better tools. I would say that the most time consuming part is removing the struts from the car.
Like he said.

Actually the first one will take about as long to do as the other 3 combined.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Maniac modifier

i may just do them mysef. What is the best spring/coilover to use with them?

Tom
Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Currently there's only the ground controls available.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Koni bolt ons

I need to replace both front and rear struts and though I'd upgrade to Koni. Please explain what needs to be done to install Koni struts if not just a bolt in replacement? Does it require special tools or knowledge?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Koni install

Jvan,
If you're familiar with general strut type suspension work, removing the assembly from the car, using a spring compressor and handtools to dismantle the assembly, that is the starting point for the Koni install. Here's a step by step job description for an Impreza, basically the same job.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ght=suspension
some pics: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36 including a pass-through ratchet used to hold the strut shaft stationary while removing the top nut (easily spun off with an air wrench).

I found the hardest part to be deciphering the small illustrations with international symbology, since the inserts didn't come with written instructions. One begins with the original strut and new insert, measuring the distance from top of the strut body to the nubs on the Koni and marking the OEM body the amount matching that measurement on the "instruction" sheet. Unlike carpentry, measure 4 times, then again, cut once! The intent is to leave the body long enough that when the Koni is inserted and bolted down into it the nubs are pulled well inside, immobilizing the insert. I marked around the body numerous times, placed it in a vice and cut with a hacksaw, working around the body so as to cut evenly and not break through until well started all the way around. Once completely cut lift the old shaft/innards out, dump any oil still inside, debur the cut and clean out the now empty OEM body. The Koni's come with a rubber sleeve that fits around, and inside the cut edge tightly but allowing the insert to pass through. Appears to be a water seal.

Now carefully mark the center of the round bottom of the body and drill the specified size hole DEAD CENTER, again cleaning up all shavings, etc. You're now ready to insert the Koni. The supplied allen head bolt fits up through the drilled hole and should just contact and start into the threaded receptacle in the Koni, IF you measured and drilled accurately. As the bolt is tightened it pulls the insert down into the body until the nubs disappear and the insert bottoms out in the body. Reassemble the new strut into the spring, bumpstop, cone washer and tophat . Repeat 3 more times and they're ready to go back in the car!

My apologies for the semi-hijack of the thread guys, and please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong here. I took most of a weekend and a 12pk of Bud to complete the job, but being an AARP member I may have forgotten some detail here.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 05-19-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:46 AM
THAWA

Dayle should make these.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:41 PM

Koni bolt ons

thanks for the update on how to do this. I didn't want to hijack the thread but I wasn't sure what the topic was about. Koni seemjs to be the way to go for replacements.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Okay, i'm going to bring up some ideas, and we need some brains to consider this....

One of the best options that i've heard of for the eclipse, is using "Hypercoil" brand springs. These are the same springs used in race cars from F1 to nascar to WRC. because of the, scale of economics is on our side, and you can get them for about 60$ apeice. basically, they're the best springs you can get, very consistant in spring rates, and won't ever sag. they also hold their value very well, so you can still sell them for most of what you paid for them.

Now, if we use these, and a coilover setup on the koni shock, i think we could get the best setup optimized for our cars. I have NO CLUE how to calculat the motion ratios of the front and rear, however i'm sure theres some people on here who do... can we figure out what the BEST spring rates are for our car, with the koni shocks?? i think that this would be a better option then the GC/koni option, and allow more customization based on car dynamics, and preferences.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
I'm looking into having Dave Clark Motorsports in Seattle build and sell a bolt-on strut kit. *snip* some moderate rate coil-overs.
Koni/coil-over R&D tester reporting for duty!! PM/email me with details!!
-Bill (an extremely satisfied "Mbtoloczko springs" and "Wawazat? Koni" customer)

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-21-2005, 07:43 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
.... can we figure out what the BEST spring rates are for our car, with the koni shocks?? i think that this would be a better option then the GC/koni option, and allow more customization based on car dynamics, and preferences.
IMO, there really isn't a "perfect spring rate" for the Koni's. Porter had the rebound cranked all the way up with the 380f/330(-ish)r springs, so you probably shouldn't go with a rate any higher than what he used. I'd say that the Koni's can work well with anything from the OEM spring rate to the rates that Porter used. Within that range, you just need to make sure that the front and rear rates are matched to give the handling character you want. I'd probably try for something like 280f/230r and then adjust the handling with a rear swaybar.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Maniac modifier

so basically since i just need new struts and want better handling i should stick with my oem springs to salvage a little of my ride comfort? I don't want to bounce all over the road yet i want to stick to it with minimal roll. If i can and should keep my stock springs this would save buco bux. Thanks guys

Tom