Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Got a tad over 6.5qts when all was said and done, but I only let it drain for ~20 minutes.

Added Lucas and ATF until the dipstick said the trans was at the correct level. Took the car for a brief spin and re-checked ATF level. Everything looks good.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 01-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
I believe that all 4HEATs have an internal screen - you'll see it as soon as you drop the pan.
-Bill
To dismantle it you will have to take out a metal hose covering it as I still remember...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

To dismantle it you will have to take out a metal hose covering it as I still remember...
Yep, pull down on it gently. There are also around 5 bolts (all the same length) you have to remove.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-07-2005, 10:17 AM
justiceSVX

A few things: Change your fluid as often as possible. The main reason that a transmission fails is heat. Transmissions get really hot with bad fluid dirty fluid, and the worst thing is once a fluid has been overheated, it loses all the good properties that make ATF useful. Even if it gets overheated ONCE. I'll try to find hte link about ATF fluid temperatures and ATF fluid life. I always use wheel ramps to change my fluids, and when I drain the ATF I usually have to add about 5-6.5 quarts. I don't jack up one side, just use the wheel ramps.

Also, make sure when you're refilling that you put the transmission in R, N, D, and 3,2,1 (the last three just to be safe, because I don't think it would actually be any different than D, but it's just superstition I guess).
Old 01-07-2005, 10:28 AM
justiceSVX

Here's a few links:

http://www.lubetrak.com/newsletter/Oct18HTML.html

http://v8sho.com/SHO/ATFTempChart.htm

and this:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...fluid+overheat
Old 01-07-2005, 10:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd

That's the Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I don't use that product.
I'm not a fan of snake oils, either, but the same Lucas product was recommended to me on the MR2 site. My Mk1 burns a little oil, so when I changed it I replaced 25% if it with the Lucas stuff. It's really thick - comes out like honey.

Anyway, it doesn't visibly burn oil any more. I may have (and probably did) trade a problem I can see for one or more that I can't, but at least it's not embarrassing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by justiceSVX
A few things: Change your fluid as often as possible. The main reason that a transmission fails is heat. Transmissions get really hot with bad fluid dirty fluid, and the worst thing is once a fluid has been overheated, it loses all the good properties that make ATF useful. Even if it gets overheated ONCE. I'll try to find hte link about ATF fluid temperatures and ATF fluid life. I always use wheel ramps to change my fluids, and when I drain the ATF I usually have to add about 5-6.5 quarts. I don't jack up one side, just use the wheel ramps.
I couldn't agree more. I filtered my atf as it was coming out and found no small metal particles/debris. The fluid was also a bright pink like the new Dexron Mercon III I was putting in.

After my 20 minute drive to work, I double-check the ATF level on the dipstick and it was still at the 'F' level.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)