Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Weasel 22

I use my rhino ramps..gives me plenty of clearance to work under the SVX..and I chock the rear wheels..I also have a craftsman floor jack and its very old..they last
Old 01-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Front cross-member in the front and under the rear diff in the rear. It's critical to be real careful you're right on the correct place so as to avoid damaging anything though.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by RojoRocket
Front cross-member in the front and under the rear diff in the rear. It's critical to be real careful you're right on the correct place so as to avoid damaging anything though.

Glenn
good idea to use a small piece of wood to protect metal surface. Nothing too big, because you want to make sure your jack is centered and not off to the side of where you plan to jack it up.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
I use a small square of 3/8" plywood that just fits inside the jack "saddle". Good catch Speedklix! This also protects the jackpoints at the 4 corners when just lifting one corner.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Locker Link Solution

I used to use acdelco and craftsman stands, but never will again. Quality is good, but I like these more...

Now I have three pairs of these.
I got them at a Wal-Mart in NH, they are 6-ton rated (each!) and will lift the svx about 2 feet off the ground!! I do have to use wood to get them under there though. Not sure if you would have to with a higher lifting jack. I would not recommend them for use on dirt/gravel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00072.jpg (50.2 KB, 105 views)
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Last edited by Speedklix; 01-22-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I jack the front on the engine crossmember (right behind the engine oil pan). Be careful the jack isn't touching the pan for obvious reasons.

I also jack the back on the rear diff.

I try to avoid jacking on the frame rails (where the manual recommends) as they don't seem strong enough to support the weight of the car. If I must I will put a 2x4 between the jack and the rail.

As for where to put stands I usually choose any location where the suspension mounts.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:49 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
If you jack under the diff, aren't you putting the entire car rear weight on the 2 rubber bushes that mount the diff to the cross member? Seems to me this area is not meant to take the weight of the car..

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally posted by floatingkiwi
If you jack under the diff, aren't you putting the entire car rear weight on the 2 rubber bushes that mount the diff to the cross member? Seems to me this area is not meant to take the weight of the car..
You have four contact points to subframe from the diff. Two of which are stronger than either the subframe or the chassis. It is a real good place to jack... just don't go leaving it there.

Its not half the weight either... think of it more as about half the weight of the car... then think about half the weight being distributed to 4 points. Then think about the two pins that pivot your jack head....

Last edited by Speedklix; 01-27-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Weasel 22
I use my rhino ramps..gives me plenty of clearance to work under the SVX
Do they fit under the car without any ummm assitance??