Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 07:43 AM
vwmrbill11

transfer case clutches etc.

I had my rear bearing done at dealership and had them check out the binding that I sometimes feel when making a slow sharp turn. They say is is a normal wear and tear in the transfer case, clutch etc. Can anyone tell me if they have had similar problems and if $700 repair is the only solution. I asked them to check to see if a $200 differential service and cleansing would fix it like someone had told me and they said the differential fluid looked ok and they didnt think it would fix it that it was worn. Let me know. Thanks. Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 AM
red95svx

Worn out transfer clutches are pretty common in our shop. Usually the culprit is a mis-matched or severly worn tire that stayed on the vehicle WAY too long. From what I've seen, once the binding starts, it's the beginning of the end. A simple fluid change won't hurt, but more than likely won't fix anything. As a last ditch effort, I would try replacing all of my tires, or at the very least replace any tire that shows more wear than the others. I did this on my OUtback and was able to get my binding to go away......for now anyway.

Dave
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Unhappy

I had my transfer clutches replaced a while back for the same problem. It was present almost immediately after the transmission was replaced by Subaru. I was told the same thing (Yeah, they all do that... It's within spec... Nothing we can do about it...). I complained about it enough and my record noted it and SOA replaced the components under warranty.

I agree with Dave and I don't think it can be fixed. Sorry.

Todd
Old 12-07-2004, 11:56 AM
red95svx

Interesting Todd. When a new tranny is installed the tech is supposed to take the car out and do some figure 8's to break in the transfer clutch. I wonder if your tech skipped this assuming that the clutch would break in on its own.

Dave
Old 12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Dunno Dave, but they did replace it after 30K under warranty though it was technically out of the warranty period. The Service Manager reviewed my records, saw the notes, and got it done for me.

Todd
Old 12-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Could this problem possibly be cause by a sticky Duty Solenoid C as well? (or low oil pressure?)
Old 12-08-2004, 02:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I don't see how it could be caused by low pressure since it's the pressure that compresses the clutch pack. Low pressure would cause the MPT clutch to slip, not bind.

I hear about transfer clutches binding, and after replacing one myself (in my wife's Legacy), I wonder something. Subaru now sells transfer clutch plates under four different part numbers. The only difference between these parts is the thickness of the first plate.

The only way to find out what plate you have to order is by taking the stupid thing apart. If you didn't do that, and just threw in whatever you had on hand or ordered, I wonder if you could accidentally install a plate that was too thick and cause it to bind.

Anyway, you have binding on a well-used transmission. I don't agree with them that binding is a symptom of 'normal wear and tear' on the clutch pack. In reality, when the clutches show 'normal wear and tear' after awhile they start to slip.

I'm going to check my FSM set when I get home tonight to see what it says about binding. In the meantime, I recomend doing a thorough search on this site.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-08-2004, 03:11 PM
vwmrbill11

transfer case

Thanks for the info , I guess I will just get it fixed. I bought new tires as soon as I bought the SVX but it didnt make it go away. Only happens occasionally. Bill
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I don't see how it could be caused by low pressure since it's the pressure that compresses the clutch pack. Low pressure would cause the MPT clutch to slip, not bind.
I think I've been reading the FSM's too much

I may be confused with how Duty Solenoid C functions. I know that it fails in 50/50 mode.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
I think I've been reading the FSM's too much

I may be confused with how Duty Solenoid C functions. I know that it fails in 50/50 mode.
I might be the one who is confused concerning how duty solenoid c works and fails.

You know what? Now that I think about it, binding (and a blinking transmission light) was what caused me to go to a dealer (I was out of town and didn't have my OBD-II reader) with my wife's Legacy and have the codes read. Duty solenoid c was the culprit, and I replaced it - along with the clutch since I was in there.

Mr Bill, is your power light blinking at all when you start the car?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-09-2004, 06:48 AM
red95svx

Quote:
I wonder something. Subaru now sells transfer clutch plates under four different part numbers. The only difference between these parts is the thickness of the first plate.

The only way to find out what plate you have to order is by taking the stupid thing apart. If you didn't do that, and just threw in whatever you had on hand or ordered, I wonder if you could accidentally install a plate that was too thick and cause it to bind.

This is why a smart dealership would keep all four sets in stock

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 06:53 AM
vwmrbill11

transfer case

No the light is off. Bill
Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
This is why a smart dealership would keep all four sets in stock

Dave
Well, no offense to the few dealerships who haven't proven (in my limited experience) to be total butchers, but I have little confidence that many of them are smart enough to do this.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
red95svx

Quote:

Well, no offense to the few dealerships who haven't proven (in my limited experience) to be total butchers, but I have little confidence that many of them are smart enough to do this.

Actually you wouldn't really need to stock all four. One of the kits is so popular it fits 99% of the cars we do transfer clutch rebuilds on. Very rarely do I ever sell one of the other 3.

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 12:12 PM
possumfat9

must the transmission have to be removed to replace clutch? Thanks