Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-06-2004, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Question transmission shifting slowly....

Hi all,

i am noticing this effect from a week. My transmission is shifting slowly from 1st to other gears. Mine is automatic transmission. I have to give is some high rpms (above 4-5) for shifting to other gears. Is it the problem of locking? I read somewhere on this forum tht in winter our transmissions wont lock or unlock freely (i dont know exactly).

Checked the ATF level, it is fine. Also i am driving out only after warmin up the engine.

Wht might be the problem... ?

thanks,
Pavan.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:55 PM
TorG0d

The torque converter doesn't lock up until 2nd gear or higher, theoretically. Chech your tranny fluid level.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TorG0d
Chech your tranny fluid level.
the level is fine around high level mark.....and i am afraid to give high rpms as i hardly get around 130 mi in city for a full tank but i never hate my car, as i love my car very much .

Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 12-06-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:57 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

How high do the Rpm's get before it shifts to second gear? Could be in need of the famous brake band adjustment.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-06-2004, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
How high do the Rpm's get before it shifts to second gear? Could be in need of the famous brake band adjustment.
its takin more than 5000 rpm to shift if i need to make it shift quickly or else it is taking above 3500 rpm to shif which will be after sometime.

whts brake band adjustment?.. if it is the cause can i do it on my own or shud i have to take it to some mechanic.

Thanks,
Pavan.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:55 AM

The brake band adjustment can be done by yourself but its a big pain in the ass! Getting to the bolt that needs adjusting is the biggest pain. I think a dealer quoted someone in NY at 150 for te band adjustment. I think thats what your in need off. The thing that needs adjusting sits right on top of the tranny near the starter i think. I had to sit on top of the engine to even get to it. Breaking it loose is an even bigger pain. Call up your dealer and see how much they will do it for.

Old 12-07-2004, 05:33 PM

Hi,
Yep!... i will call them up and find out those details... meanwhile can u tell me some suggestions or step by step procedure for checkin any faults in the engine which are resulting in such a bad mileage for me. Like saprk plugs, fuel injectors, air flow, etc...etc....

Thanks,
Pavan.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:13 PM

Pavan i also get horrible mileage. I will get about 14 MPG. I only get about 160 for a full tank of city driving. Spark plugs...O2 sensors...clean the throttle body are things I would suggest. Also a new fuel filter wouldnt hurt. Get the throttle body cleaned first...thats the cheapest thing. O2 sensors make a big difference in mileage or so ive heard. As for the transmission problem i dont know much more but im sure someone else will be more than willing to help out.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut

the level is fine around high level mark.....and i am afraid to give high rpms as i hardly get around 130 mi in city for a full tank but i never hate my car, as i love my car very much .

Pavan.
look pavan, I had the same problem with my Mercedes a month ago, the gears wouldn't shift not until high rpms... my mechanic just took out the filter housing , underneath it was a marker like an arrow aiming at a curved thing with digits like

3 iiiiiiiiii 2 iiiiiiiiii 1 iiiiiiiii 0 iiiiiiiii 1 iiiiiiiii 2 iiiiiiiiii 3

the arrow was at 2 or something, he just calibrated it on 0, and the gears returned to normal shifting.
I dunno about the case of the SVX, if it is the same but do we have a similar marker or something?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Pavan i also get horrible mileage. I will get about 14 MPG. I only get about 160 for a full tank of city driving. Spark plugs...O2 sensors...clean the throttle body are things I would suggest. Also a new fuel filter wouldnt hurt. Get the throttle body cleaned first...thats the cheapest thing. O2 sensors make a big difference in mileage or so ive heard. As for the transmission problem i dont know much more but im sure someone else will be more than willing to help out.
thanks soobiesvx93, i will check all those this weekend and let u know.
hmm... i am also waiting for someone to help me out in this transmission issue. I am too concerned abt it since i am noticing it more recently. I want to set it right before anything more disastrous occurs.

Pavan.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

look pavan, I had the same problem with my Mercedes a month ago, the gears wouldn't shift not until high rpms... my mechanic just took out the filter housing , underneath it was a marker like an arrow aiming at a curved thing with digits like

the arrow was at 2 or something, he just calibrated it on 0, and the gears returned to normal shifting.
I dunno about the case of the SVX, if it is the same but do we have a similar marker or something?
i too dont know.... anybody out there who knows abt this......? help me out

Thanks,
Pavan.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:25 AM

Quote:

That sounds like the brake band adjustment to me.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:

yep1... it seems wht u said...but if we also have such kind of marks .. it would be very easy i hope.... anyway i have to yet call my dealer for this...

Pavan.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:59 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:

NOOOOOOOO, it's the gears shifting caliber, I dunno if anybody over here has a similar mercedes, mine is a 93 300CE (with 24 Valves). just take out the filter housing, and check this metric which is directly underneath it. my mercedes used to shift gears at high rpms like 4000 or 4300 , when the guy calibrated it, it runned normally shifting at 2500 rpms in normal driving conditions.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:32 AM

Quote:

NOOOOOOOO, it's the gears shifting caliber, I dunno if anybody over here has a similar mercedes, mine is a 93 300CE (with 24 Valves). just take out the filter housing, and check this metric which is directly underneath it. my mercedes used to shift gears at high rpms like 4000 or 4300 , when the guy calibrated it, it runned normally shifting at 2500 rpms in normal driving conditions.
yeah my problem is the same... but my problem is only with shiftin from 1st to 2nd... but for the remainin gears it is workin fine.... and also can u tell me how we can find in which gear it is engaged at a ny givne time. Since i am not sure in which gear it is engaged after 2nd...but it is running fine as before even above 100mph.

Thanks,
Pavan.