How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2001, 08:47 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Thumbs up I Drove The 5-speed!!!

What a trip!! Huck has done a magnificent job of modifying his pearly into a genuine, died in the wool 5-Speed. Though my "maiden voyage" was a bit shakey (Huck, I hope I didn't smoke your clutch), mainly due to my rusty shifting skills, and partially due to that weird 2-3 shift, and partly due to my not wanting to "hurt" anything -- it was a great experience. With huck at the controls, and obviously quite used to the tranny's idiosyncracies, he was able to plaster me against the front seat with some major positive g's. Good job, Huck, and thanks so much for the ride in "the one and only."

Meanwhile, my daughter, my friend Jim and myself went town to the "Somernights" car show. Lots o' Camaros from 68's to present. Lots of Malibu SS's. The Panosonic PT cruiser was there. It had LED screens in the rear headrests, one in a custom panel in the back of the car, and, of course, the little unit with the pop-up screen for the driver. It was pretty cool. BUT! The highlight for me, was a 1953 Triumph Mayflower. It looked like someone threw a rolls in the dryer I loved that car. And, Bill Moore -- there was a 23 Maxwell on display. May have been the one you saw being trailored on your way to Autofest. It was all original.

Huck, I almost forgot to thank you for the "goodies." I'll stick the "Subaru Parking Only" Sign on my garage, since I have to park in front of it, instead of in it. And, I'll put the sticker in the window. Maybe someone will pay me that much for it -- then, I can buy a newer one without a "flare" in the transmission (Yeah, it's definitely there -- ).
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-27-2001, 11:31 PM
Green1995SVX

Im accually seriously thinking of doing this same conversion. Ive had the confirmed death of my second tranny since i bought the car (feb 01). Getting alittle tired of the hassle. Huck, did the manual have the same mouts as the SVX auto? or did you have to make a bracket or brace of come kind.

-Mike
'95 L AWD
Old 10-28-2001, 09:10 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Huck, did the manual have the same mouts as the SVX auto? or did you have to make a bracket or brace of come kind.

-Mike
Mike, no it doesn't have the same mount, at least the Impreza tranny I used didn't, and since the 5-speed is 2" shorter than the auto, modified mounts are definite, the Legacy mounts might be a closer match though.
Pretty much for sure the pedal assembly is the biggest obstacle
I'm still planning on typing up a faq on my experience putting it in, I'm going to have to sit down and do it soon, before I forget some of the grizzly details maybe I'll force myself tonight
Definitely opp for a hi-proformance clutch and pressure plate , as the stock Legacy one can't handle the torque of the 3.3 in a hard launch.
I better save the details for my faq
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-28-2001, 09:31 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
5-speed

<I Drove The 5-speed!!! >

Yeah, and the rest of us are GREEN with envy!

Huck, you ought to streamline the process and set up a on-site mod center. A lot of us would line up to keep you busy and in the other green stuff for some time to come! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I want a ride in the 5 speed
Old 10-28-2001, 02:14 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Hey Huck, how the heck do you get the rear diff out? I have a Legacy diff with the proper gears now (that was a fun trip to the junkyard last Sunday), but when I tried to find the fabled spring pins on the rear diff, they couldn't be found. You'd think that one's manual would have information about such a difference in production or something, but I'm at a loss for the moment.

Called Cobb Tuning yesturday to see when my flywheel will get in...they said 2-4 weeks! Ahhh!
Old 10-29-2001, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alex_umn
Hey Huck, how the heck do you get the rear diff out? I have a Legacy diff with the proper gears now (that was a fun trip to the junkyard last Sunday), but when I tried to find the fabled spring pins on the rear diff, they couldn't be found.

Called Cobb Tuning yesturday to see when my flywheel will get in...they said 2-4 weeks! Ahhh!
Hey, Alex_umn,
That's why you have to swap the ring and pinion into your orig. housing, the LSD rear diff uses a different axle than the standard diff.
The axles in the LSD just pop out, take a pry bar and pry on them and they will just pop right out(they have a C-clip that holds them in, be sure they come out with the axle, if they don't remove them and put them back on the axles before re-installing, as they're easier to put back in that way.

How's the rest coming? Hope you're not having any major problems, I'm interested in your tranny mounts, if you can post some pics.

Hope this has been helpful
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-29-2001, 07:16 AM
Lowered SVX

i think it is pretty cool.

no to jinx you or anything but i really do hope it holds up. good luck with your five speed.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 10-29-2001, 08:21 PM

Power Light

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile

Yeah, and the rest of us are GREEN with envy!

Speaking of "GREEN ",
Huck I've been meaning to ask you...Do you still get your power light when you "punch it"? I didn't know if this was Engine, Computer, or Tranny related. It came to mind over the weekend, when I blow away a 6cyl VW Gulf all decked out, and my power light was gleaming at me. This is important because of the extra boost we get from it.

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 10:26 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Power Light

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Pwrlite

Speaking of "GREEN ",
Huck I've been meaning to ask you...Do you still get your power light when you "punch it"? I didn't know if this was Engine, Computer, or Tranny related. It came to mind over the weekend, when I blow away a 6cyl VW Gulf all decked out, and my power light was gleaming at me. This is important because of the extra boost we get from it.
Just so's you'll know: the power light does not stand for "boost." It means that your tranny will hold to redline instead of shifting out early. It is not like the "turbo boost" indicator on a turbocharged car. It simply alters the shift map.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-29-2001, 11:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Wink Booo Hiisssss

And here I was thinking that the SVX was like KITT out of Knight Rider!!!

"Turbo boost on Michael"

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-30-2001, 04:54 AM

Re: Power Light

Quote:

Speaking of "GREEN ",
Huck I've been meaning to ask you...Do you still get your power light when you "punch it"? I didn't know if this was Engine, Computer, or Tranny related. ...... This is important because of the extra boost we get from it.
No, it doesn't light up at all since I completely removed the TCU, and as Aredubjay said, all it means is that the computer controlled shift points have changed, and well, now "I" control my own destiny.......uh....I mean shift points he...he...
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 10-30-2001, 07:21 AM

Re: Re: Power Light

Quote:
Originally posted by huck369

No, it doesn't light up at all since I completely removed the TCU, and as Aredubjay said, all it means is that the computer controlled shift points have changed, and well, now "I" control my own destiny.......uh....I mean shift points he...he...

Thanks, that's great to know.... learning things about this car never seem to end, there's always something new.
Question #2;
Was it much of a problem adapting the clutch and brake pedals, also passing the cable through the firewall? I'm guessing Subaru used the same pedal support brackets in many of their cars. How did this work out for you?

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------
Old 10-30-2001, 09:19 AM

CLUTCH & PEDALS

Quote:

Question #2;
Was it much of a problem adapting the clutch and brake pedals, also passing the cable through the firewall? I'm guessing Subaru used the same pedal support brackets in many of their cars. How did this work out for you?
I used the original pedal assembly, but grafted parts off a XT-6 manual pedal assembly, required some cutting and welding, but nothing to bad.
After looking at some different diagrams, I believe the early Legacy(non-turbo) pedal assembly would be the closest match, but probably still wouldn't just bolt in, as the assembly also bolts to the dash, which is different on all the models.
Definitly the pedals are the biggest pain, everything else went fairly smooth for a first attempt.
I had to drill a hole in the firewall for the cable, not to difficult.
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
Old 11-01-2001, 05:35 PM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
Just posted some more picts in my personal locker...the rear differential was indeed easy to take out Huck. I just need to switch the ring and pinion gears, and I'm considering sending that task out to someone in the area (indeed, if I can find someone who will do it!).

Stilll working on the pedals...huzzah!