SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Here ya go Chris . From dictionary.com

gay ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g)
adj. gay·er, gay·est
Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry.
Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
Given to social pleasures.
Dissolute; licentious.

Usage Note: The word gay is now standard in its use to refer to homosexuals, in large part because it is the term that most gay people prefer in referring to themselves. Gay is distinguished from homosexual primarily by the emphasis it places on the cultural and social aspects of homosexuality as opposed to sexual practice. Many writers reserve gay for males, but the word is also used to refer to both sexes; when the intended meaning is not clear in the context, the phrase gay and lesbian may be used. Like the other names of social groups derived from adjectives (for example, Black), gay may be regarded as offensive when used as a noun to refer to particular individuals, as in There were two gays on the panel; here phrasing such as gay members should be used instead. But there is no objection to the use of the noun in the plural to refer collectively either to gay men or to gay men and lesbians, so long as it is clear whether men alone or both men and women are being discussed. See Usage Note at homosexual.

Last edited by Noir; 03-17-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

I don't have an issue with him anymore... that was over a year ago. I even forgot about what it was that we were arguing over...

What is the Job of the "Admin's???" Are they like the President and Vicepresident and secretary???
Moderators = Dirty Coppers..oh wait, that's offensive . They are the police officers of this fine forum .
Old 03-17-2004, 01:37 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Thanks Harry... I've never actually looked that word up before...

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Quote:

You bring up a good point Doug... I mean I think about it all the time... If a Gay person could get offended by the word Gay then can I get offended by the word "Straight"??? I don't think so... Because if you get offended by being called something that you are then that would mean that you are ashamed of what you are (In no reffrence to my origional post)... So if I was gay and someone called me gay then I think I would have to just say "yes I am thanks" and walk off... Just like I would if someone said that I was straight... Because you are what you are, right... Screw it what someone else thinks about you... You are you and you don't have to change for anyone... The whole P.C. stuff is tricky... ya never know what might offend someone... I will let everyone in on my secret though...

The only things that offend me are when someone talks bad about the Military that protects them, when someone talks bad about my country (Australia), or when someone calls me a Motherf****r (since my mom dies while I was down here doing my Marine thing... The last of all will earn you an imeadiate @$$ beating... But that is it... You can post almost everything else and I won't mind...
I know what you mean Chris. I don't get offended if someone calls me a names, but that's just me. Some probably will and they have their own reasons for it just like you have reasons for getting upset for calling you a motherbleeper. That's all the mods are saying.

got me bubblehead?

Harry (pisser)
Old 03-17-2004, 01:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
It's not the word 'gay' that people find offensive, necessarily. But the connotation you use is very important. If a person is gay, usually I don't think they have a problem with other people saying so. In that case it's just descriptive.

The uses of the term you've gotten in trouble for are entirely different because they weren't simply descriptive. They were instead derogatory, and Doug's above post using Todd's handle as an example is a fine one. In your post today, you used 'gay' in a derogatory way that made it synonymous with 'stupid.'

That's what made it offensive.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM

Got ya pisser .... Ya wanna catch a beer when I'm out there this weekend???

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
President, VP etc are the official of the "SVX World Network" Organization. (www.svxworldnetwork.org). President, VP etc do not have any say on how the forum is run (in most part since they don't own the forum in the strictest sense of the word) but they do carry some weight -- That is according to my understanding of how things run here. SVX World Network and the forums are closely tied to a degree. The svxworldnetwork.org when formed, started from this forum. Since the forum is running, why have a separate forum etc. We'll call it our living room and the other site is more of our entry way.

The server(www.subaru-svx.net) is run by Chris. He is the admin of the server. Along with Chris, there are a couple of people who run the back end. They are the one who can shut down the whole server, upgrade the forum software etc.

The forum is also hosted on Chris's server. He is also the admin of the forum. Along with Chris, we have (Mike)green95SVX and (Colin)sith who have admin powers on the forum. What that means is that they can ban people, assign mods, remove mods, make new forums etc as well as move threads, kill threads, edit thread and such amongst other forum related things like back up forum etc.

Then we have mods. They are Todd, Earl, Nick and Doug. Those guys have limited powers. They can move, edit and delete threads.

Does it explain a little more?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
President, VP etc do not have any say on how the forum is run but they do carry some weight
We do??? That's good to know.

Unless you mean "weight" in a derogatory way referring to Randy & my beer bellies, then I am offended

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 03-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
It's not the word 'gay' that people find offensive, necessarily. But the connotation you use is very important. If a person is gay, usually I don't think they have a problem with other people saying so. In that case it's just descriptive.

The uses of the term you've gotten in trouble for are entirely different because they weren't simply descriptive. They were instead derogatory, and Doug's above post using Todd's handle as an example is a fine one. In your post today, you used 'gay' in a derogatory way that made it synonymous with 'stupid.'

That's what made it offensive.
Nick's right:

gay doesn't mean stupid.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

We do??? That's good to know.

Unless you mean "weight" in a derogatory way referring to Randy & my beer bellies, then I am offended

Doug
OMG!!! Lwin called you guys FAT....

You got something against FAT people Lwin? huh? You got something against SKINNY people?

Harry (screw atkins diet. the only way to get skinny without negative side effects is to just simply stop breathing)
Old 03-17-2004, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
President, VP etc are the official of the "SVX World Network" Organization. (www.svxworldnetwork.org). President, VP etc do not have any say on how the forum is run (in most part since they don't own the forum in the strictest sense of the word) but they do carry some weight -- That is according to my understanding of how things run here. SVX World Network and the forums are closely tied to a degree. The svxworldnetwork.org when formed, started from this forum. Since the forum is running, why have a separate forum etc. We'll call it our living room and the other site is more of our entry way.

The server(www.subaru-svx.net) is run by Chris. He is the admin of the server. Along with Chris, there are a couple of people who run the back end. They are the one who can shut down the whole server, upgrade the forum software etc.

The forum is also hosted on Chris's server. He is also the admin of the forum. Along with Chris, we have (Mike)green95SVX and (Colin)sith who have admin powers on the forum. What that means is that they can ban people, assign mods, remove mods, make new forums etc as well as move threads, kill threads, edit thread and such amongst other forum related things like back up forum etc.

Then we have mods. They are Todd, Earl, Nick and Doug. Those guys have limited powers. They can move, edit and delete threads.

Does it explain a little more?
Yep that is a great breakdown of the Chain-of-Command... But you forgot Matt (imortalsuby) as a moderator He's representing those of us in the SouthEast...

Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Got ya pisser .... Ya wanna catch a beer when I'm out there this weekend???
yeah, give me a call when you get here. me no drinky no more.

drinky = bad <---yet another opinion

Harry (hates the doctor for saying no drinky)
Old 03-17-2004, 03:05 PM

NO DRINKY = BAD... why man??? did ya drink too much before?? well that's cool because Porter and I will probably end up going to dinner Saturday anyway.. We'll call ya for that though

Old 03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:

Yep that is a great breakdown of the Chain-of-Command... But you forgot Matt (imortalsuby) as a moderator He's representing those of us in the SouthEast...

Opps. Sorry there Matt.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:•2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

He drew the short straw You should see who Todd is watching over

As for the PM, Just so you know, it was discussed among the moderators BEFORE you were sent the PM.

One can say that they are gay or he/she is gay with it describing them in an arbitrary fashion (young/old, white/hispanic, gay/straight). If you use it to describe an extreme (negative connotation in this case), it is perceived as derogatory. If you would have used the term "wawazat??" instead of "gay" to describe your dislike of what the picture showed, you're point would been understood just as well

Thinking about the term "straight", does that presume that gay is "crooked" or "bent". I guess "straight" could be offensive too...

Damn this P.C. stuff is tricky.

Doug
Where is that ******* smiley flipping the bird???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: