How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 12:50 PM

Is this a good price?

I had a rear wheel bearing replaced and had the guy check out my oil leak. He said the crankcase seal, cam seals, and valve seals all were leaking. Had it verified by a dealer and they wanted $895 for replacement of seals, labor, and timing belt replacement. A local guy that does Subarus says he'll do it all for $723. IS that a good price? Also, he says I should probably replace the water pump since its original and i have 120k on the car. He said its about $193 if its done while he does the seals and other stuff. If I get it done later b/c of the hassle and work involved it'd be almost $400. What do you guys think is a price i should pay for all this?

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Those prices both seem really high to me, but then I do stuff like that myself, so I may not have a good idea what things like that actually cost. Getting to all those seals does involve a lot of labor, that's for sure. But $800-$900 seems like an awful lot.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-02-2004, 01:05 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Sorry to jack your thread SVXGIRL, I just wanted to say that your car looks great... Have I said that before?? Are ya going to Reading??? Ya should... Your wheels look kinda like mine... I really like how the 7 spokes look on the SVX... Especially when it's rolling Later!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-02-2004, 08:37 PM

I'll probably be there since I go to school about 20 miles away. Anyway, I guess I'll continue to check around for prices.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 08:56 PM
greg

I thought that was a pretty fair price. It has been a little more than that for me here. Keep in mind this "Subaru" guy may know what he is doing and the "Cheaper" guy down the street might screw everything up!

Good Luck!
~G
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
I recently had the same problem (oil leaks, etc.), and I can tell you that those prices (around $800) are about right, and the majority of it is for the labor. In the end, I didn’t need the timing belt and I talked them out of replacing some other parts that really didn’t need it. Don't let them replace things just because they're in there and they can. Anyways, good luck,
-Nathan

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 03-02-2004, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Sorry to jack your thread SVXGIRL, I just wanted to say that your car looks great... Have I said that before?? Are ya going to Reading??? Ya should... Your wheels look kinda like mine... I really like how the 7 spokes look on the SVX... Especially when it's rolling Later!!
Perv!

Just kidding! Play on playa!

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport
Old 03-02-2004, 10:22 PM
greg

Quote:
Originally posted by BordeauxComet
I recently had the same problem (oil leaks, etc.), and I can tell you that those prices (around $800) are about right, and the majority of it is for the labor. In the end, I didn’t need the timing belt and I talked them out of replacing some other parts that really didn’t need it. Don't let them replace things just because they're in there and they can. Anyways, good luck,
-Nathan
I somewhat disagree, knowing that the water pump, timing and crank seal are all together I think that it is advisable to get the maintenance done for a reduced labor cost rather than wait till the costly repair has to be done from breaking down...

~G
Old 03-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Just wanted to share some info...

A couple months ago one of our members came to me with his SVX on a flatbed. No start. Came to find that the water pump that wasn't changed during his dealer service in Ca. had seized. Bad part was not just did the water pump need to be replaced but the shock of the sudden lock-up jacked the idlers and tensioner along with melting the belt. What are there, four or five idlers? At $100+ each? Add in the tensioner and another $100 t-belt too. and don't forget the tow. We won't even go to the stranded on the road portion...

Anyway, if a shop is changing the t-belt the labor for changing the water pump at the same time should be minimal. Only a few extra bolts plus antifreeze.

We had never seen this happen before that week. A few days earlier I had a Toyota 6 cyl. pickup towed in for the exact same problem. From now on we'll be more pressing for our customers to change the pump with the t-belt (on cars that drive the water pump from the t-belt.)
Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally posted by petesvx2

Perv!

Just kidding! Play on playa!
you're not gone yet?!?!?!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-03-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

you're not gone yet?!?!?!
Yeah they let me smuggle my laptop here, I stash it under my rack...

I leave Monday!

1998 Acura Integra LS 74k Sold 1/07
2007 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner SR5 .04k!
2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, 4x4 TRD Sport