SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Rothman

Question Wheel colors

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum probably because I've never had a problem with the SVX. Three years of ownership with nothing beyond a cracked radiator header that then became a while your in there why don't you replace....

Even the question I have now doesn't appear to chalenge the intelectual capacity of a master mechanic.

I have a 92 in Burgandy/black. My wife calls it eggplant

I have a cracked wheel that can't be repaired as the crack is on the inner rim???

The wheel repair place shipped a left wheel instead of the right I ordered and while they will exchange it the color doesn't match!

The wheel they sent is a brighter silver than mine. They said they have Silver Gray and charcoal.

What is the color of the wheelss that came on a Burgandy 92????

Thanks all.

Michael Rothman
Old 02-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Quote:
What is the color of the wheelss that came on a Burgandy 92????
Just check what color they ordered: apparently, you want the other color.

Okay, I'll be nice and do a search....

Last edited by Alycone; 02-01-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Hmmm, one thread calls the '92s grey and the later years silver, not too helpful if one of your options is "grey silver".

Apparently, the '92s are darker than the later years, so I'd guess that the charcoal is the color you want, since charcoal sounds darker than silver. Was the new wheel too light?
Old 02-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Rothman

The three colors are Silver, Gray and Charcoal. I too saw the post that calls the 92 gray.

The wheel from the replacement wheel was lighter than my wheel , but if you looked at my wheel alone you would call it silver too.

Michael Rothman
Old 02-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Sue isn't really striped

Oh, I thought you meant silver gray as one color, I was under the impression that there were only two colors for SVX wheels.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:26 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Question

I bought rims from a crashed '96 car. They are coloured a much brighter silver than those of my 92 eggplant car.

I am only aware of two colours for the wheels, the darker '92 colour, and the brighter almost aluminium paint colour of the later cars. Which I personally find too bright, with all due respect to owners with those wheels.

Nobody has ever quoted a paint code for either colour, either on Yahoo or here to my knowledge. If anyone knows the relevant paint codes, please post them, as I want to have mine resprayed.

Lastly, charcoal is a pretty dark shade or name for something most people would think of as dark grey or dark silver. My idea of a description for the '92 colour would be tungsten.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 06:32 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking WELCOME

BTW Michael

These seem to be your first posts. You are very welcome to the Forum.

If you run a few searches, you can find info on lots of things.

Also, don't ignore the How To link above, it gives info on things that give regular problems to new and not-so-new owners alike.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 11:48 AM

Why don't repaint them all?

Find your fav. color, clean them good, and spray them, as easy as ...

/Sonny

-92 ebony black with 170k KM

*** -Stress is when you wake up screaming & you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ***
Old 02-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
There are three colors of wheel.

Gray
Charcoal
Silver

I wouldn't have known this, but, a friend of mine, who bought a 92 Teal off the showroom floor did not notice until weeks after he got the car home that one side had gray wheels, the other side had charcoal.

I believe the silvers were added in 94, but, I'm not sure. I have the wheels from a 94 on one of my pearls and, yes, they're brighter.

I'm not sure if they put the charcoals on any one of the particular models. Like I said, my friends was a Teal. The charcoal is much darker than any of them.

I guess the short answer is, the 92's typically wear the "Gray" wheels.

By the way, did you try this place:

http://www.transwheel.com/

There's a location in Elk Grove Village. It looks, however, that they have the colors swapped in their catalogue.

Other members have used them with success. You can even send in your wheels to have them re-trued, or, you can exchange for wheels that have already been reconditioned.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 02-03-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:29 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
There are three colors of wheel.

Gray
Charcoal
Silver

I wouldn't have known this, but, a friend of mine, who bought a 92 Teal off the showroom floor did not notice until weeks after he got the car home that one side had gray wheels, the other side had charcoal.

I believe the silvers were added in 94, but, I'm not sure. I have the wheels from a 94 on one of my pearls and, yes, they're brighter.

I'm not sure if they put the charcoals on any one of the particular models. Like I said, my friends was a Teal. The charcoal is much darker than any of them.

I guess the short answer is, the 92's typically wear the "Gray" wheels.

By the way, did you try this place:

http://www.transwheel.com/

There's a location in Elk Grove Village. It looks, however, that they have the colors swapped in their catalogue.

Other members have used them with success. You can even send in your wheels to have them re-trued, or, you can exchange for wheels that have already been reconditioned.
Thanks Randy.

I was unaware that three colours existed. I would presume they are all metallic paint. Yes/No?

Looked in on your site, and the colours they offer differ a little from what you say. For the 92-93 models, they list what they describe as "Gray painted" and "Silver painted" wheels. For the 94-97 models, they offer "Silver painted" and "Charcoal painted" options.

If the above is correct for the year, then your friend bought a '92 with two wheels from a '94 or later.

It also indicates that my colour is the "Gray painted" one, so that much is established. Suspect the silver wheels may have been available only on Silver/Black cars in 92-93.

Now if anyone out there with factory connections can come up with paint codes for the Gray Painted variant, I would be grateful.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Rothman

It was Transwheel that sent the silver wheel for my 92. It was brighter than the wheels on the car. If you look the the wheels on the car, they look silver. Put the new wheel next to the ones on the car and it is much brighter.

Not only didn't the color match, the sent a left side wheel invoiced as a right.

Based on the 92 gray 94 silver that has been discussed here, (THANKS ALL) the shop ordered a gray Right from Transwheel's Maryland location.

To make matters even more complicated Transwheel said the had the three factory colors and custom colors too. Thay sort of implied that they too were factory colors???

The wheel should arrive Thursday and I'll report on the outcome then.

Michael Rothman
Old 02-03-2004, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Michael,
Thanks for the R&D and a chance to discuss this for our newer members. It is a little known but advantageous piece of knowledge.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

Thanks Randy.

I was unaware that three colours existed. I would presume they are all metallic paint. Yes/No?

Looked in on your site, and the colours they offer differ a little from what you say. For the 92-93 models, they list what they describe as "Gray painted" and "Silver painted" wheels. For the 94-97 models, they offer "Silver painted" and "Charcoal painted" options.

If the above is correct for the year, then your friend bought a '92 with two wheels from a '94 or later.

It also indicates that my colour is the "Gray painted" one, so that much is established. Suspect the silver wheels may have been available only on Silver/Black cars in 92-93.

Now if anyone out there with factory connections can come up with paint codes for the Gray Painted variant, I would be grateful.

Joe
Joe,
Yes, they're all metallic.

I could have erred, come to think of it, since, I think Bill, though he bought the car NEW off the showroom floor, didn't buy it until 94, so, someone could've changed the wheels -- it remains a mystery. All I know is that they were on a 92.

Michael,
I think, what transwheel meant was, that they have the three factory colors but could "customize" the wheels to whatever color you want. But, you don't wanna do that. One member sent his wheels off to be body color painted for his Teal. THey came back "seafoam green." For some reason, he kept them. We get to see them at the Reading meet every year.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 02-03-2004, 01:32 PM
SVX Master Tech

your 92 should be called the gray color on the wheels but dont have them painted it could chip and look like **** the factery paint system is much beter durable than that

Last edited by Green1995SVX; 02-03-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX Master Tech
your 92 should be called the gray color on the wheels but dont have them painted it could chip and look like **** the factery paint system is much beter durable than that
I went ahead and edited your post. Please try and watch your language in the future. This is a family site.

Mike