SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-31-2004, 08:40 PM
nextcubepro

Re: Dropping resistor info

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I can't access it anymore because I'm not a member of ATRA (Automatic Transmission Rebuilder's Association), but in May 2002 they had an article on dropping resistors and the effects of changing them. Below find some edited text from an old thread on the subject. Keep in mind I'm not a tranny expert and if anyone can access the Gears site to get the article & make sure I understood it, it would help us all. http://www.gearsmagazine.com/2002-05/2002-05_40.pdf

Judge for yourself but keeping it plugged in can lead to premature solenoid A failure due to too high a current. Not having it plugged in can lead to failure of the pressure regulator value. What to do??? I made a custom resistor for my car about 20k miles ago - but again let me caution all - I have no idea what the heck I'm doing - it just made sense to me at the time

From Alldata, solenoid A on the SVX should have a resistance between 1.5 and 4.5 ohms.

The article writer offers an opinion that to maximize pressure while avoiding failure of the pressure regulator valve, the solenoid should see about 0.2A. The values for the stock resistor value and solenoid A's resistance, taken at central values put the solenoid current at around 1 amp (too much in the writer's opinion).

Working the numbers for 0.2A, that corresponds to a total resistance value of 66 ohms (given 13.8V as max seen by the system, using 14V only changes the value to 70 ohms).

Since the solenoid has a value between 1.5 and 4.5 ohms, the dropping resistor value, to maximize pressure and still be consistent with pressure regulator protection, would be slightly over 60 ohms.

Here's the link to the thread I cut & pasted from:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=9899
hmm...

(btw the link doesn't work)
Old 01-31-2004, 09:08 PM

Re: Re: Dropping resistor info

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro

hmm...

(btw the link doesn't work)
I know, they have changed the link and the new link won't show articles unless one is a member of ATRA. I pasted it in to help anyone who can access the site to find the article.

Here's the new link:

http://www.atraonline.com/