IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
That show rules!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Breck SVX

Whats the show/movie where a silver svx pulled out of a parking lot with the rear end sliding out?
Old 01-30-2004, 02:03 AM
Jimsbaby

silver svx peeling out

grrrr i remember seeing that show cant remember it but i saw that thinking the svx doesnt peel out like that at least not in silver (awd)

Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 02:16 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: silver svx peeling out

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimsbaby
grrrr i remember seeing that show cant remember it but i saw that thinking the svx doesnt peel out like that at least not in silver (awd)

Jim

I have done something like that on my SVX before. On a ton of gravel, sand or snow, it will do that even with AWD SVXes. Try it next time.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:37 AM
red95svx

silver SVX sliding out of parking lot...

That's "Loaded Weapon 1". The pics of the SVX sliding in the street are in my locker....

Dave
Old 01-30-2004, 08:27 AM
5 speeds rock! :D

SVX sliding

While it can be done, movie producers don't work that hard. They have teams of mechanics who are only concerned with making the picture look great. For example, I know someone who worked on the set of Fast and Furious- the cars were ragged out and beat up. The Sylvias traction contol was disengaged. AWD vehicles often had their front axles removed so the car could only hobble along in RWD, but the drivers could make it slide easily, and it fit the shot.

It's cool to see SVX's in the films, don't assume they can easily do what they appear to do.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:39 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SVX sliding

Quote:
Originally posted by svxhunter
While it can be done, movie producers don't work that hard. They have teams of mechanics who are only concerned with making the picture look great. For example, I know someone who worked on the set of Fast and Furious- the cars were ragged out and beat up. The Sylvias traction contol was disengaged. AWD vehicles often had their front axles removed so the car could only hobble along in RWD, but the drivers could make it slide easily, and it fit the shot.

It's cool to see SVX's in the films, don't assume they can easily do what they appear to do.
Yep, it's "THE MOVIES." Ever watch a movie where the tires "peel out" with a great squeal . . . on a DIRT road? Most of the sound in a movie (including silly things like footsteps, gunshots, engine sounds, etc) are added LATER, after the movie has already been cut together. Folks called "Foley Artists" add the sounds. Fight scenes are especially foley intensive. Y'know that big shot in the jaw? The sound is made, depending on how the artist views the impact, by punching a turkey out of the grocery store. Bodies falling, depending on surface and so forth, are sandbags dropped into boxes of sand. Those footsteps you hear, when someone is walking down a dark hallway, are being made on a slab of marble in the studio, with the shoes on the foley artist's HANDS, matching the steps of the actor. IT'S ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-30-2004, 08:42 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
For those of you around here last spring or so, you'll remember I was teaming up with some old friends to make an independent film. Kinda got put on hold, but if it, or another project, ever happens there should be lots of SVX sightings. Probably would try to fit one SVX in pretty prominently, but then sneak a few others in here and there in the background of shots, etc.

Could kinda be like a signature thing about my movies, there is always at least one SVX in the movie somewhere, those that catch on would always try to find it.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 01-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: SVX sliding

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Yep, it's "THE MOVIES." Ever watch a movie where the tires "peel out" with a great squeal . . . on a DIRT road? Most of the sound in a movie (including silly things like footsteps, gunshots, engine sounds, etc) are added LATER, after the movie has already been cut together. Folks called "Foley Artists" add the sounds. Fight scenes are especially foley intensive. Y'know that big shot in the jaw? The sound is made, depending on how the artist views the impact, by punching a turkey out of the grocery store. Bodies falling, depending on surface and so forth, are sandbags dropped into boxes of sand. Those footsteps you hear, when someone is walking down a dark hallway, are being made on a slab of marble in the studio, with the shoes on the foley artist's HANDS, matching the steps of the actor. IT'S ALL SMOKE AND MIRRORS!
In my younger days, some buddies and I made a "movie" (VHS video, but lots of attention to detail, editing) version of "The Punisher" (comic book action dude). For the fights scenes, we did exactly what you just described. Of course our movie had so many fight scenes, by the end of the day, there wasn't much left of that poor turkey.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: SVX sliding

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

In my younger days, some buddies and I made a "movie" (VHS video, but lots of attention to detail, editing) version of "The Punisher" (comic book action dude). For the fights scenes, we did exactly what you just described. Of course our movie had so many fight scenes, by the end of the day, there wasn't much left of that poor turkey.

When I was in radio, I used to do a lot of my own sound effects. You should've seen the look on the engineer's face when I went into the production room carrying saws and lumber and hammers and pipes . . . what fun!

I can imagine that poor Turkey's "thanksgiving" was when you quit hitting it!
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: SVX sliding

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

When I was in radio, I used to do a lot of my own sound effects. You should've seen the look on the engineer's face when I went into the production room carrying saws and lumber and hammers and pipes . . . what fun!
I can imagine!

But what did you use all the sound effects for? Did you used to do one of those "morning zoo" type of radio shows?

Old 01-30-2004, 04:09 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SVX sliding

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver

I can imagine!

But what did you use all the sound effects for? Did you used to do one of those "morning zoo" type of radio shows?

Commercials! I was known for doing multiple-voice commercials with lots o' sound effects. And, I did them the HARD way -- no digital stuff. The number of voices I used was limited to the number of playback machines I had. I would create 60 "Radio Theatre" in a commercial. It was great fun. And, when splicing was involved, it was all "blade 'n' block." I've actually won three regional "Addies" and was named National Finalist for 5 "Golden Microphone" awards. Since my tenure here, I share in 4 "Telly" awards and a regional grammy.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Cool, that does sound like a lot of fun! And sounds like you've done some great stuff too, as the awards atest.

I can *sorta* relate to doing things the "old fashioned way", at least in my "field". Using VHS video, it wasn't quite "cut 'n' splice", but close, especially compared to what they can do now with digital. Back "in our day" (mind you only 10-15 years ago), kids using average consumer video equipment had to do all editting and sound effects manually, VCR to VCR, hours of patience, so we were probably one of the few groups of kids that actually pulled off the kinds of things we did. Nowadays, anyone with decent computer skills can make a Speilberg production with the software that's out there. sigh......

Old 10-20-2004, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to NiftySVX
SVX in movie

Hi all,
It has been a long time since I have posted, It is good to be back especially with a virus-free computer!

Anyway, I wanted to mention that there is a black SVX in a Billy Crystal movie, I think it was City Of Angels. Billy Crystal at one point gets a job at a Subaru dealer and you can spot it in the showroom if you look close!

PS-I am now the happy owner of a second SVX- A 1992 white LS-L
Yay! I have 2 SVXs!
Old 10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

When I had

an Allante, we in the Allante club online, use to do the same things...movies
with Allantes in them, Caddilac Man with Robin
Williams was the Holy Grail of all those flicks, they also used
an Allante in Lethel Weapon II I think it was.
When I had a Reatta.....same thing, only differnce
was Ive never seen a Reatta in a movie !!
One thing I do remember, in the late 80s and early 90s, movie makers were Constantly useing Mustang GT ragtops
in all their movies, there must of been a dozen or more
within 1 yr of new films.

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."