Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-27-2004, 06:53 AM

New battery - alarm system

Greetings - nice to see a forum like this on-line.

I own a 1996 SVX LSi (is the LSi redundant in the 96?) that is black (I know how important color can be when trying to diagnose a problem )

My battery recently died. I went to the dealer. He told me 2 weeks to order it and $103 ....so I went to VIP auto parts and they looked it up in their computer. Got one that had a higher CCA than the original, but none they had went down to 575 which is what the original was. This is one is like 720 and $65

Got it installed fine, except those bracket things that hold it down are a pain in the butt. Car started fine. First problem I noticed was the SECURITY light on the button was solid red, where it normally blinks. Then I noticed that the remote no longer functions. Looked in the manual, found the reprogramming procedure. (security button off, key on then off, rapidly press security button)....the car never enters the programming mode. I never get the blinking parking lights, etc...I've pressed that button as hard and fast as I can.

I searched the forums for similar issues, but did not find something exactly the same.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Green1995SVX

sometimes the security system doesnt like when a battery is replaced or fully drained. Solid red security light is common, and indicates you need a new security module.

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 07:59 AM

So just the act of replacing my battery, broke the security system so that it needs to be replaced???
Old 01-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Green1995SVX

It sounds pretty silly, but chances are that's what happened.

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 08:40 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've operated on a theory. My first security module did the same thing. If another ever goes out, I'll hook the other module up and see if it works.

My guess is something causes the module to be "constipated" when it receives some kind of "trauma." My theory is, that if you disconnect the power (easier for you since your module is underneath the rear deck, accessible by dropping the liner from the trunk, or dropped rear seat) for a while, then reconnect, it will re-set. Again, it's just a theory and I'd like someone to be the guinea pig.

I replaced my battery this weekend with an Optima Red Top. Security system didn't miss a lick. Didn't even have to reprogram the remote.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-27-2004, 08:43 AM

Okay....

Maybe I will test your theory out since I would rather not shell out the money for a new system. I looked in the trunk briefly and saw a little flap under the rear deck with a black box inside....is this the security module or do I need to tear more liner down?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 AM
Green1995SVX

That's the box!!

Mike
Old 01-27-2004, 08:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Undertaker #59
Okay....

Maybe I will test your theory out since I would rather not shell out the money for a new system. I looked in the trunk briefly and saw a little flap under the rear deck with a black box inside....is this the security module or do I need to tear more liner down?
I'm not positive, but, I'm going to guess "yes" to the "is that the module" question. Both of mine are 92's (replaced the batt in the other one about 3 months ago, no problems with THAT module either). The modules are behind the glove box and a real PITA to get to.

If you can reach the connector through the flap, there should be no need to pop off the liner. Otherwise, it should just pop out. Be careful not to break the fasteners. I hope my "theory" proves out. I'm thinking that if you let everything "discharge," perhaps, it'll lose its "memory" and renew itself. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-27-2004, 08:50 AM

How long do you think I should leave it disconnected?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:56 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
How long do you think I should leave it disconnected?

I'd give it a good day. Give the capacitors time to fully discharge so that any "memory" will be completely gone.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 AM

Okay, I'll take a look at it at lunch. Thanks for the help...I come back and post an update.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:43 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Okay, I'll take a look at it at lunch. Thanks for the help...I come back and post an update.

Please do. I'm obviously anxious to see if it works.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-27-2004, 11:42 AM

Well, I can tell you that it did not work after only ½ hour at lunch ....I will leave it unplugged until lunch tomorrow and try again.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 PM
gamblergw

security

When i first bought my 92 the light was off.. I turned it on and it was on but did not flash. It did all kinds of crazy things including honking and lights flashing going down the road. Not all the time i could be driving along fine and then it would start going crazy.. I finaly got the damn thing to quit with the security turned off and no light on. It was that way for days. I then put a new battery in my remote and hit the button, about 5 or 6 times. after turning on the security.. Bingo ,everything works fine now. Dont ask me what i did.I dont know. I do know that following the manual did not work for me.... Jim
Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: security

Quote:
Originally posted by gamblergw
When i first bought my 92 the light was off.. I turned it on and it was on but did not flash. It did all kinds of crazy things including honking and lights flashing going down the road. Not all the time i could be driving along fine and then it would start going crazy.. I finaly got the damn thing to quit with the security turned off and no light on. It was that way for days. I then put a new battery in my remote and hit the button, about 5 or 6 times. after turning on the security.. Bingo ,everything works fine now. Dont ask me what i did.I dont know. I do know that following the manual did not work for me.... Jim

You may have not gotten the "upgrade" on your security system. The original system did two things that were later "upgraded" out:

1) Passive arming. The Security system would arm, but would not lock the doors, 45 seconds after exiting the car, if the security system was on. This feature annoyed some drivers, so they "upgraded" it out of the system.

2) Flash the lights when the battery in the remote was going dead. This resulted in dead car batteries after a while, if someone didn't replace the remote batteries right away (it would flash the lights in two second increments, every so often -- even when the car was off). So, they figured it better to do without it.
Subaru Ambassador