How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
SVX in distress, emergency beacons launched, she's gonna sink.

Well, once again this car has left me stranded in another state. Won't start. battery is fine. doesn't seem to be getting gas. It seems to be extreme cold weather related. it has 2 cans of dry gas in it, and a full tank. it was run yesterday. this is the 4th time this has happend to me. AND I AM GOING INSANE. Could anyone give possible solutions? I changed the coolant temp sensor last week trying to fix this current problem. Giving it starter fluid doesn't seem to help. but the moment I bring it into a heated garage($40 tow job), it starts right up. I just can not possibly believe gas is frozen somewhere in this thing, it HAS to be something else. The call has gone out, who will be my superman .

Those of you who would like to give possible solutions to my problem of going insane, please leave your name, number and address, as well as tell me when you, your wife, and kids will be sleeping.

reminder:I'm only grinning to keep myself from causing my car injury with a chainsaw.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Unfortunately, it could be a million things (I know. That's not what you wanted to hear). The lack of a C/E light leads me to believe that it's not within the computer. Seems to me it would have to be vacuum or intake related. Check your hoses and check your plastic intake components for cracks. Expansion and contraction (heat to cold, cold to heat, etc), sometimes causes little cracks in the plastic to open or close, depending upon heat or warmth.

Still it could be fuel related. There is a hose that Beav spoke about (I can't remember which) that condenses and plugs up. You might do a search. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Also, there's a "General Engine Trouble Shooting Guide" in the "How To" locker. You might try to match some of your symptoms and try the fixes recommended there.

Best of luck.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-26-2004, 02:31 PM

Are you aware of the problems with the original fuel injectors?
Fuji had issued a service bulletin and redesigned the injectors.

The original ones were prone to freezing in very cold temperatures. They redesigned injector tips to avoid water condensation on them...
Old 01-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by gl1674
Are you aware of the problems with the original fuel injectors?
Fuji had issued a service bulletin and redesigned the injectors.

The original ones were prone to freezing in very cold temperatures. They redesigned injector tips to avoid water condensation on them...

Interesting. I've never heard this. Could you link to the bulletin?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-26-2004, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX
Never mind, I found it. Interesting, however this is for hard start after sitting overnight. From what I understand, his starts fine after sitting overnight. Anyhoo, here's the TSB:

http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/.../57923805.html
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
2edybrd

Is the throttle cable/ body sticking abit?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:47 PM

Error 13

ran the code. got an error 13. which is a'cam angle sensor'. 'Diagnosis:No signal from cam angle sensor, but signal from crank angle sensor 1.'

In english this means exactly?
Old 01-27-2004, 10:17 AM

Code 13 means one of three things:
1. Wiring to the cam angle sensor is flaky
2. Wiring inside cam angle sensor is flaky
3. Timing belt has jumped teeth.

The code is telling you that ECU sees that crankshaft rotates, but does not see camshaft rotate or camshaft position is way off normal.

If this is an intermittment problem, more likely it's the wiring/sensor itself.

A cheap way to test the sensor is to swap it with the crank sensor #2 - they are identical. If the code changes to that for the crank sensor, you know for sure you need a new sensor.

Camshaft sensor is easily accessible on the left (drivers) side of the engine, half-way up going into timing back cover from the back.
Crank sensors are under alternator - requires drive belt removal and flipping the alternator up.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:22 AM

I was aware that our cars had two cam/crank sensors. But only one of each are hooked to the ECM? I have never looked into my SVX wiring much. Only other subie I have messed with is my wifes 2.2L legacy.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:12 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by 87f383
I was aware that our cars had two cam/crank sensors. But only one of each are hooked to the ECM? I have never looked into my SVX wiring much. Only other subie I have messed with is my wifes 2.2L legacy.

No, both are hooked to the ECU. Apparently, what your code is telling you is that the cam angle sensor is bad, but crank angle sensor is good. Possibley, your cam and crank were the cuplrits, you'd be getting a code from BOTH.

If you want to read up, here's a good resource:

http://reaper450128.homeftp.net/servicecd.htm
Subaru Ambassador

Old 01-28-2004, 05:19 PM
rperry03

Re: Error 13

Quote:
Originally posted by zavikan
ran the code. got an error 13. which is a'cam angle sensor'. 'Diagnosis:No signal from cam angle sensor, but signal from crank angle sensor 1.'

In english this means exactly?
How did you get the code? You probably got that code due to the fact that the car was not running at the time of the test..however that would cause it not to start. I would also think about swapping the Ignition Relay first.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:26 PM

rperry,

ECU throws code 13 when it gets crank sensor signal but no/bad camshaft signal. In the other words, engine needs to be cranking for ECU to provide code 13. It will not show it if ignition is simply turned on and the engine is stationary.

Code 13 is an absolute absolute no-start condition. ECU will not fire any injectors - there will be no fuel in combustion chambers.

Speaking from past personal experience of a jumped timing belt...
Old 01-28-2004, 05:52 PM

say wha?

I wasnt cranking anything when I got the code. just got in, put the little blue wire where its supposed to go, and put the ignition to the on position. is it possible this code doesnt mean anything at all? Because I've had this happen to the car before(wouldnt start in the cold) like I said, and as soon as it warmed up it was fine.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:33 PM
rperry03

Re: say wha?

Quote:
I wasnt cranking anything when I got the code. just got in, put the little blue wire where its supposed to go, and put the ignition to the on position. is it possible this code doesnt mean anything at all? Because I've had this happen to the car before(wouldnt start in the cold) like I said, and as soon as it warmed up it was fine.
That is exactly what I was saying/thinking. I have never pulled codes by doing a D check the way you are doing it. I would look into a Ignition Relay they are cheap, but a pain to get to.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:02 PM

Registered SVX
Re: say wha?

Quote:

I've found the U-Check method to be quite accurate. I've had to use it on four or five different occasions and so far, it's pinpointed the problem every time. Sometimes the system will show multiple codes, only because the failure of one component is causing the others not to operate correctly.
Subaru Ambassador