How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Sandman

Cool Looking at SVX's

Could you guys tell me more about SVX's ? i now there AWD and the LSi have 230 HP? right? are they turbo? i have a 3000GT now but was curious about an SVX.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Looking at SVX's

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Could you guys tell me more about SVX's ? i now there AWD and the LSi have 230 HP? right? are they turbo? i have a 3000GT now but was curious about an SVX.
Ever take a can of worms and dump 'em on a table?

You are in for a LOT of answers to your questions!

1. Most SVXs are AWD. Some built in '94 and '95 are front-wheel drive only.

2. '92 and '93 SVXs had LS and LS-L designations. '94 - '97 used the L, LS and LSi model designators. ALL SVXs have the same engine in them - a flat 6 producing 230hp.

3. No SVXs were built with turbochargers. Some members here have added turbos or NOS, though.

4. A friend and coworker also has a 3000GT. I have always liked the way the car looks, but I find the SVX to be better balanced and more refined. I consider the interior of the 3000GT to be an absolute mess, for example. The flat 6 in the SVX means a much lower hood, bringing with it lower drag and better visibility. I could go on. Don't get me wrong - I have always liked the 3000GT...the SVX just fits me better and I consider it to be more thoughtfully built.

What model / year is your car?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2001, 08:38 AM
Sandman

i have a 91 SL FWD (damn FWD!) 3.0 V6 non-turbo. i love the looks of the thing and i also like the interior (leather). but the price of parts and the fwd part isn't cool. if i had a VR4 i wouldn't have a problem but those things are like 15k for a 91-93. i would keep the SL but i would like to have a car i could race in the rain and snow so how much is the up keep for a svx? and how much could i get a 94 LSi for?
Old 10-01-2001, 08:59 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
i have a 91 SL FWD (damn FWD!) 3.0 V6 non-turbo. i love the looks of the thing and i also like the interior (leather). but the price of parts and the fwd part isn't cool. if i had a VR4 i wouldn't have a problem but those things are like 15k for a 91-93. i would keep the SL but i would like to have a car i could race in the rain and snow so how much is the up keep for a svx? and how much could i get a 94 LSi for?
If you're concerned about the price of parts for the 3000GT, I wouldn't recommend an SVX. My friend with the 3000GT pays considerably less for parts when we do comparable repairs.

As for racing, you can, but I wouldn't. The SVX is perfect at what it was designed for - comfortable cruising at high speeds. They isn't quick off the line, all have automatic transmissions and they're heavy.

Add the cost of replacement parts and I consider it to be a poor choice for racing - especially if you're on a budget.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-01-2001, 09:16 AM
Sandman

oh well they look like you could make them for racing thanks alot man! i really don't need another car with huge repair bills. my clutch is slipping on my SL and i have to have it replaced. clutch is like 250-300 and labor is 300-400! that's a damn lot when your in college !
Old 10-01-2001, 09:37 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
oh well they look like you could make them for racing thanks alot man! i really don't need another car with huge repair bills. my clutch is slipping on my SL and i have to have it replaced. clutch is like 250-300 and labor is 300-400! that's a damn lot when your in college !
No problem.

Don't let me scare you away from the SVX. In my experience, it's an extremely reliable car - you just get nailed hard when something does break. And if you drive it hard, be assured that like any other car, things will break.

And it really does drive like nothing else. Try one out some time and you'll probably be hooked like the rest of us.

Although I still say it's not an appropriate car for racing, some members here have pretty seriously modified their cars. I'd wait until one or two of them posts to form your conclusion - mine is only one of many opinions.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE