How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-16-2003, 05:04 PM
DamN

Help Please, Car Shakes, Rmps Drop, When Driving Jerks

Ok, it started happening 2 days ago.. When standing at lights or just turning the car on in idle, the rpms drop and jump from i'd say 500-800 , when driving sometimes it's ok, but soemtimes when i'm driving uphill it feels like the engine is going to jump out. Also you can hear from the ouside the jerking of the car b/c of the exhausts. I'm sorry if this explanation is not good, but i reall don't know too many car termins and english is not my language, so excuse me. What else. I went to a mechanic he has no idea what the problem is but he told me for 250$ he can definately eliminate it. but i really can't just throw this money right now. Can it be the spark plugs, if yes, where are they located, becuase deffinately different from some other cars becuase i can't locate them. And what might be the problem and how can it be eliminated...Thank you very much!!

P.S.- is it even safe to drive like this?

Thank you
-Eugene-
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM

I don't think I can help, but I have to wonder about the honesty of a mechanic who says he doesn't know what's wrong, but can definitely fix it for $250. No, I take that back, I wouldn't wonder.

Does the check engine light blink when you drive? If yes, then the first step would be to consultt he How To folder and run the diagnostics - it's free and may help.

next check for vacumn line leaks or hoses that have come loose.

then check for electrical ground wires corroded or loose.

Happen sudden? Like after filling up with gas (bad gas, water it it, etc).

need more background to help more.

it can be spark plugs or fuel flow, but it's surprising how few times that solves this kind of problem.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:39 PM
DamN

It has been happening for 2 days now, non stop, i was pretty much running out of gas when it started to happen, then i got some Rot N Robi gas, whichmy friends told me is extremrly bad quality gas(too bad didn't tell me before). Ok, thank you i'll do what you said...

What else....umm...The mechanic, he is an honest guy, he just doesn't speak english..at all).....he did couple of my buddies cars , good job and cheap...and i would go to him, but 250$ is just soemthing i can't afford this second on fixing....

Thank you again...if u have any other information that might help me, please tell..Thank you very much
Old 12-16-2003, 05:54 PM
6evil9

1) dont cry man
few of us have this problems for more then half a year

2) ok look for my post "Sputtering and jerky idle (relisted)"

also u can find the origional post..
it definitly gonna help u. at least u can find out what is wrong and eliminate some possible sources.

the best u can do now is what i did: run the car, wait till it starts to idle rough. then unplug and injector, listen the engine, if it still jerks, plug the injector and unplug next one. Keep going until u get stable 5 cyllinder working engine. If u dont get it, then its not injectors, neither sparks nor coils

well read my post and get ideas.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
If it was running fine until your recent fill up, then I'm with Lee - short of draining the tank you might try a couple of bottles of dry gas or injector cleaner and see if they help.

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-17-2003, 04:20 AM
6evil9

well drive couple of tanks and see if it goes away... was with my mum's car... suddenly came and went... so seems like it was just a bad petrol for her...

for me it looks to be bad injector...