IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Lightbulb Re: Pray for All

Of course an outsider watching the recent goings-on in Washington may say "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Don.

I've often wondered if a benevolent dictator (a la Ron Paul) might be the ticket...at least for a few years.

PS - Nice of you to drop in, Don.

Ron (the OTHER Ron)

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Pray for All

Quote:
Originally Posted by httrdd View Post
Did not completely forget about 9/11, but there have been more local problems on my mind. The terrorists brought the floods!
How did you make out? Did the waters reach your house? They finally opened up all of RT17 today in NY. The weather has been absolutely AWFUL this year starting with all the snow. And this storm continued the trend of "what the hell was that". Looking at it when it was just hitting LA, one could never imagine what happened in NY and PA, happening.

I have been avoiding all news stories of the storm so I don't know if it is getting the coverage a massive disaster like this deserves. I don't need more anxiety in my life. I will say that the severity of the snow storms, thunderstorms and rain storms really has me concerned that we really are in a major climate shift. I don't think anyone really knows for sure why but, damn, mother nature sure seems pissed.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile

Well they tried that over in Germany a few years back, and the dictator turned out to not be so benevolent! I think Churchill said something....he was actually referring to statements of an earlier unknown author: "Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…" I think many cultures are not designed for the independence of the individual required in a democracy. They actually prefer to be told what to do, but just pray in their own way to be left as much alone to do as they wish as is possible. Interestingly, that is the very dagger that is placed at the heart of every democracy, just awaiting a people who want to be told what to do vs. telling the government what to do. You see it in Iraq and Afghanistan when people are interviewed and say they preferred life under Saddam or the Taliban because of stability and security.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both" Ben Franklin

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote" Ben Franklin

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 09-13-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: artifacts
Old 09-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi everyone, Thanks Mike for bringing this back. All the posts brought back some folks I have not seen in a while, as well as some I have never seen. For the most part the posts are those you would expect to see from such a level headed group as we SVXers. Sad to say that the lashing out at our "enemies"
did not prove to be successful. As many experts predicted we are still stuck in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think the days of being the worlds policeman are over.
The most amazing thing I learned about that awful day, was the fact that at least 200 people chose to end their lives by jumping out of the building rather than ride it down. Which brought up the thought that at some time we all might have to make that decision. Remember Chief Dan George saying "Today is a good day to die" These folks either broke out a window or went out one already broken and took death into their on hands. Yes, I cried a lot on Sunday. I tend to do this when people die. The more that die the harder I cry
Maybe I will be good to go till year 20. Take care, BOBB

P/S No, I will not be going to the memorial. That many dead at one time would not be good for my mental health. "B"

Last edited by Bobb; 09-14-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: ad on
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Pray for All

Remember Chief Dan George saying "Today is a good day to die"

To hijack a bit, most "kids" won't remember this line from the under appreciated 1970 Dustin Hoffman movie "Little Big Man". The scene where the chief lies down preparing to expire, remains still for about 7 seconds, then opens his eyes, gets up & says something like, "I guess this wasn't the day", has to be one of the greatest moments in cinema. Thanks for the memory, Bobb.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.