Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WHAT COLOR FOR MY NEW SVX?
METALLIC BLACK 3 13.64%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ELECTRIC BLUE PEARL 10 45.45%
METALLIC BLACK OVER CANDY APPLE RED PEARL 6 27.27%
METALLIC BLACK OVER ION BLUE MIST METALLIC 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2003, 09:47 PM
nextcubepro

Lightbulb Getting Svx Painted Tomorrow (please Read Asap)

WHAT A GREAT COMMUNITY YOU ALL HAVE HERE. I'M SO GLAD TO BE A PART OF IT.

I BOUGHT A 1992 SVX IN JUNE AFTER A FRIEND OF MINE BOUGHT A 92 ALSO, AND RAVED ABOUT IT.

CAR IS INCREDIBLE IN EVERY WAY (I SEE WHY ALL OF YOU ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR CARS). I BOUGHT MINE, AND A FEW WEEKS LATER MY FRIENDS SVX SELF DESTRUCTED. BUMMER. SCARED ME, BUT SO FAR LUCKILY, MINE IS FINE.

THE ONLY THING I DIDN'T LIKE WAS THE PAINT JOB. SOMEONE REPAINTED IT THIS PLYMOUTH PROWLER PURPLE, AND I WANTED A COLOR THAT BETTER BLENDED IN INTO A CROWD. NOT TOO MUCH BUT A LITTLE.

SOMEONE TOLD ME THAT EARL SCHEIB WAS ALL NEW AND THEIR PRICES WERE FANTASTIC. SO I WENT AND LOOKED AT THEIR WORK.

I WENT, AND SAW A 1997 MAXIMA JUST REPAINTED METALLIC BLACK. CAR LOOKED HOT. FLAWLESS PAINT JOB. NO RUNS OR OVER/UNDERSPRAY. I DECIDED TO GET MY CAR REPAINTED WITH THEM.

BROUGHT IT TO THEM, 3 DAYS LATER, IT WAS DONE. WENT TO SEE IT. ERR...

CAR LOOKED TERRRIBLE. PAINT WAS DULL, AND THE COLOR I PICKED (PEWTER METALLIC) LOOKED ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE ON MY CAR. NO SPARKLE, NO SHINE.

A WEEK LATER, PAINT STARTED PEELING FROM DOOR HANDLES AND WHEEL WELLS. I WAS TO PUT IT MILDLY VERY ANGRY. I CALLED THE REGIONAL MANAGER.

HE TOLD ME THIS WAS A RARE CASE, AND THEY SHUT THAT LOCATION DOWN. APARENTLY, I GOT MY CAR BACK THE DAY BEFORE THEY CLOSED. I TOOK MY CAR FOR AN INSPECTION AT ANOTHER LOCATION, AND THEY FOUND THE REASON THE PAINT WAS PEELING...THE LOCATION THAT WENT OUT OF BUSINESS DIDN'T SAND MY CAR AT ALL.

THEY APPROVED A FULL REPAINT, WITH ALL THE EXTRAS, AND THEY'RE GIVING ME SOME OF MY MONEY BACK. THEY GUARANTEE MY CAR WILL LOOK LIKE NEW, AND THE PAINT WILL STAY PERFECT FOR AT LEAST 6 YEARS BECAUSE OF THEIR "LEADING EDGE TECHNIQUES." I DON'T EXPECT ALL THAT, BUT WE'LL SEE.

ANYWAY, MY APPOINTMENT IS FOR TOMORROW MORNING AT 8 AM. BUT THE PROBLEM IS, I REALLY CAN'T DECIDE ON A COLOR. I'VE BEEN THINKING FOR 2 WEEKS ON IT SINCE THEY APPROVED THE REPAINT, AND I'VE NARROWED IT DOWN TO THE CHOICES IN THE POLL. WHAT DO YOU THINK? PLEASE POST OTHER IDEAS. THANKS ALL.

P.S. - WHEN IS SUBARU GOING TO MAKE THE NEXT SVX TO COMBAT THE RX-8, 350Z, AND 3000GT COMING OUT SOON? ANY NEWS?
Old 11-03-2003, 10:29 PM
ww111

Bare metal
Etch
Seal
Prime
Base coat (black Metalic...)
Candy (red, orange, green...)
Pearl
Clear
Painting an opaque over a candy is money not well spent

Collins
Old 11-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Green1995SVX

I request that you kindly stop yelling.

Mike
Old 11-03-2003, 11:23 PM
nextcubepro

sorry. someone just imed me saying the same thing, then saying "I can tell you're a PC user" and when i tried to respond, he wasnt there. Was that you? And what did they mean?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Uh.... take everything apart.... take off the mirrors... spoiler... side body cladding.... headlights, taillights, locks, door handles, antenna, and any trim you can. Personally I'd go with whatever color your engine bay, underside of the trunk, and door jambs are, but it sounds like your car is already at least 3 different colors so I suppose it doesn't much matter.

- Rob
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
Uh.... take everything apart.... take off the mirrors... spoiler... side body cladding.... headlights, taillights, locks, door handles, antenna, and any trim you can. Personally I'd go with whatever color your engine bay, underside of the trunk, and door jambs are, but it sounds like your car is already at least 3 different colors so I suppose it doesn't much matter.

- Rob
engine bay and trunk jamb is maroon. door jambs were painted. i'm not one for maroon. and after friday, the car will have been 4 colors. i will remove the trim in the morning. i'm hoping that they will paint the parts i take off separately.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:44 PM
The Croupier

what did you pay the first time around ?
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-03-2003, 11:50 PM
nextcubepro

$2,100. I know looking on ebay that its a lot, but i love the car, and there are no mechanical problems. and it has never been in a colision. interior is excellent except the driver side seat is worn on the edge, but i plan on redoing the interior soon anyway, perhaps painting the wood a textured gunmetal silver type color, and getting the seats done in that nice looking carbon fiber weaved leather on motorsport warehouse. oh, and it came with a very good aftermarket stereo and speakers that ran the last owner $900 installed, and sounds better then bose system in friends altima. considering that, what do you think of what i paid?
Old 11-03-2003, 11:58 PM
The Croupier

I was talking about the paint price, but it allmost sounds like ur talking about the price you paid for the car.
If you paid that for the paint & it looked totally kick ass than its all in are you happy
Obvioulsy it wasnt right the first time around so NO.
If its the price you paid for the car then my good deal was a hosen. lol
03 Yamaha V-star custom /classic 3k
Old 11-04-2003, 12:08 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:
Originally posted by Gargoyle
I was talking about the paint price, but it allmost sounds like ur talking about the price you paid for the car.
If you paid that for the paint & it looked totally kick ass than its all in are you happy
Obvioulsy it wasnt right the first time around so NO.
If its the price you paid for the car then my good deal was a hosen. lol
That was the price i paid for the car. The paint price was $676. It sounded just below average because my friend said most places average $1,000 for a good paint job. Not so. Every place I checked into since the repaint was over $3,000 to paint my car.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:50 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

That's your problem right there. A $600 paintjob is ****e. In order to get ANY sort of a real quality paintjob, where it actually looks nice up close (instead of just 10 ft away) you're going to need to spend around $2500 or more. Just save up your $ and get a quality paintjob, it's worth it in the end.

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 07:33 AM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
That's your problem right there. A $600 paintjob is ****e. In order to get ANY sort of a real quality paintjob, where it actually looks nice up close (instead of just 10 ft away) you're going to need to spend around $2500 or more. Just save up your $ and get a quality paintjob, it's worth it in the end.

- Rob
I couldnt agree with that more!
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:45 AM
nextcubepro

Quote:

- Rob
It's free. i already screwed up. at least now i'll get the best earl scheib offers...whatever that may be.

i dropped off the car. the new place said that it was obviously a rush job, and when they're done it'll look like new. but i decided to go with black. it goes with everything, you know.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by nextcubepro

It's free. i already screwed up. at least now i'll get the best earl scheib offers...whatever that may be.
It's still going to be crap. Last time you paid $600. This time you're paying nothing. And you think they're going to do a good job? No way. They're going to try to get you out the door ASAP, and then in a year when your paint starts to flake off and fade, you won't be happy. I suggest you just ask for your money back, and save that $600 until it turns into at LEAST $2000, then try again at a REAL bodyshop, not some 'cheapo maaco' spray n pray it turns out shop.

- Rob
Old 11-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Agreed - A "real" paint job will cost you more than $2,500. Mine was $2,800 over a year ago, & that was repainting with the same ebony mica color. EVERYTHING that can be removed from the exterior, including the door handles, all plastic cladding, bumpers & sunroof will be removed & painted separately. All dings will be filled & sanded. The whole process took over two weeks.
Granted - you're "stuck"with a re-do "courtesy" of Earl. Do what 'ya gotta' do. But DO get something in writing that they will continue to repaint every 6 months if necessary, until you've saved up enough dough to eventually get it done right.

Ron .

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.