Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Won a street race!

Yesterday I raced this big dump truck stoplight to stoplight, about 1/4 mile. I could hear him revving it up to redline in every gear but I slowly pulled farther and farther ahead. By the time I crossed the finish line at the 2nd stoplight, I was 8 or 9 car lengths (or 4 dump truck lengths) ahead. I backed off and he tried to do the "ricer flyby" but the light at the finish line turned red before he got through so he had to stop. Chalk up another victory for the SVX!

Disclaimer: This race was performed under relatively safe conditions, in that neither the SVX nor the dump truck ever exceeded the posted 35 mph speed limit.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 06-19-2003, 12:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Old 06-19-2003, 12:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Funny.

I actually did sorta race a Taurus SHO at a stoplight one summer day a couple years ago. Both of us were obviously on our way home after work (him in a shirt and tie, me in my typical t-shirt and shorts*), and we floored it from one stoplight to another about 200ft away. We both had big stupid grins on our faces at that light, laughing away.

*If I was really dressed up, I was wearing a clean non-geek t-shirt.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-19-2003, 12:53 PM
DoLittle

I’ve been in a van that raced a Ricer Saturn, The Van being the winner. Must have made the driver mad. Seeing all that he did with his car could not out perform a Ford full size van.

Note: It was my mother driving so I will take no blame…

-DoLittle
Old 06-19-2003, 01:12 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Love the van vs. modded Saturn story, almost feel sorry for the Saturn driver.

Nick - I envy all the IT guys downstairs with the wardrobe you describe. On this floor we technically have no dress code, but no one would really get away with dressing like that without really standing out and looking out of place. (of course in 12 more days I'll be sitting in my hot tub drinking a beer and collecting unemployment so what do I care? ) Give some examples of "geek T-shirts", I can imagine a few.

Oh for anyone that might have been confused by this thread, read the "Stomped a Camaro" thread and the ongoing debate it contains. Figured this story would add a little humor to the situation that both sides could appreciate.

Old 06-19-2003, 02:13 PM

Registered SVX
Examples? Cripes, there's quite the variety. I have a t-shirt with the title 'Avatar' on it. That was the working title for a third all-CG Terminator movie. I got the shirt at SIGGRAPH in '96. Some programmers have shirts with formulae printed on them that they apparently find funny. I have a Capcom shirt with Maximo on the back. There are dozens of faded shirts with game mag titles on them. I consider my 'Onion' t-shirts geeky. Right now I'm wearing my SVX Network t-shirt, and that can't escape a rating of 'geek.'

Oh, and I have a Yanni t-shirt. That's not geeky, it's just funny. I used to work on the local crew at the Bradley center in Milwaukee and one of the concerts I set up was Yanni's. I pushed him out of the way with a big, heavy lighting truss.

Yanni is very short and he smells bad.

Am I off-topic enough yet?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Yanni is very short and he smells bad.
Strange. He said the exact same thing about you

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Great classic examples! And it's my thread so I love leading it into new OT territory.

So Doug, since you've apparently met Yanni and I'm pretty sure you've met Nick, in your opinion, who smells worse?

Old 06-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
Great classic examples! And it's my thread so I love leading it into new OT territory.

So Doug, since you've apparently met Yanni and I'm pretty sure you've met Nick, in your opinion, who smells worse?
In my completely unbiased opinion, Yanni emits a much stronger odor than (or is it then?) Nick emits

Plus I would much rather listen to any music of Nick's than Yanni's

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 06-19-2003, 11:12 PM
Sue isn't really striped

I could see where it would be worth some effort to avoid being downwind from a dumptruck. Congrats, I think.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:05 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I raced a Ford explorer in the rain today. I raced him from a dead stop on a street in my development. I had him all the way up to 30 miles an hour but after that he started pulling and I left off at that speed im afraid of gear slippage. I have to adjust the screws on my shifter because the derailluer device is a little off and the chain will pop off if i push the shifter lever too hard. After that I slammed on the brakes and my wheels locked and I came to a halting stop. Then I shifted into first gear and used all my torque and horsepower to do a mini burnout but it didnt work because I had so much traction. I also tried powerbraking and using full force but I still wouldnt move. I also thought about a full neutral drop but I dont think that is possible. Maybe I need Nawwwwzzzz... j/k...

This was on my jeep mountain bike
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 06-20-2003, 10:36 PM

Registered SVX
As a racing cyclist 50 yrs ago ( when 4 speeds were cool ) I enjoyed that. I once raced a cop who was mounted on a Triumph speed twin. 'nother story and yes I was on a SINGLE speed fixed wheel track racing push bike.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 06-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by TE1221
I raced a Ford explorer in the rain today. I raced him from a dead stop on a street in my development. I had him all the way up to 30 miles an hour but after that he started pulling and I left off at that speed im afraid of gear slippage. I have to adjust the screws on my shifter because the derailluer device is a little off and the chain will pop off if i push the shifter lever too hard. After that I slammed on the brakes and my wheels locked and I came to a halting stop. Then I shifted into first gear and used all my torque and horsepower to do a mini burnout but it didnt work because I had so much traction. I also tried powerbraking and using full force but I still wouldnt move. I also thought about a full neutral drop but I dont think that is possible. Maybe I need Nawwwwzzzz... j/k...

This was on my jeep mountain bike
Actually, it sounds like you need to adjust the derailleur (you were close on spelling ) limit screws, and not your shifter. There are two little screws on the back of your rear derailleur - they limit its travel right (upshift) and left (downshift).

I recommend adjusting the appropriate screw when the derailleur is shifted to the middle of the cogset. If it's resting on a set screw when you're trying to adjust it, you're more likely to strip the head off. Just try a half-turn on the right screw and then try it out. If it's not enough, then try it in half-turn increments until it does. If you find that you can't shift all the way up or down any more, or that it slips off the high (small) or low (big) gears, then you've adjusted it too far.

Bike repair isn't difficult in theory, but in practice it's an art form. My eight-year-old components shift better than any of my friends' new bikes because I know how to tweak the hell out of them.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-21-2003, 08:34 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
I always had trouble adjusting the derailleur screws. At least its cheaper than an svx and I dont have any clutch packs to wear out
2012 Camry V6 SE