Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2003, 02:49 AM
scottswaaley

All Must See (w/ pics)

If anybody is interested in satellite radio...don't get a tuner. Instead get delphi. Not only can it go in your home or a boombox but it fits snug into the ash-tray slot and looks great. Pics will be up in the next day or too.

I know it isn't finished, but it is neat how it fits. I am happy. AND IT SOUNDS GREAT!!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Last edited by scottswaaley; 05-05-2003 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2003, 03:56 AM
squiggy

I have a sirius ready kenwood cd player...
what do I really need to get started?
1 salesman said all I need is the antenna
another said I need the antenna & the "brains" of the system that goes in the trunk (I guess he meant decoder or something)

also even if it is supposed to be sirius ready what if I wanted xm radio instead??
Squiggy
Old 05-03-2003, 09:21 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I'll get it the day I know how to decode the stuff. I can do the sat video...
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 05-03-2003, 09:49 AM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
you need the antenna and tehs siruis unit, then you hvae to play the $12 a month

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 05-03-2003, 03:38 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
hehe, I'll get it when I don't have to pay for the service!

DSS anyone?
Old 05-05-2003, 01:07 AM
scottswaaley

Look at the pics I added to the initial post.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:30 AM
FifthElement

Scott, I'm with you, buddy.

The Delphi Skyfi is where it's at.

I do not have it permenantly installed yet, so when I have it in the car it sits on the passenger seat. The great thing about this particular unit is that it can be moved from the car to the home stereo easily. I was thinking about getting a new XM reciever and headunit for the car itself, but the truth is that as far as quality and functionality goes, the Delphi Skyfi is the best there is right now for satellite radio.

I had thought about putting it where you have it, but I thought when I tried that it didn't fit properly. I'll have to give it another shot.

I've also been thinking about installing it using one of those made-for-cellular phone holders that'll attach to the dash. I'll post pics if that pans out.

What are your favorite stations? I'm really into Ethel, Squizz, and The Move.

P.S. In stores this unit is roughly $200 for the receiver and car/home kit antenna, but XM had a deal going online where, if you signed up for 6 months, they gave you everything for only $99 plus the monthly subcription charge. If anyone is interested, the deal might still be going on.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
hehe, I'll get it when I don't have to pay for the service!
There has to be a way.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 05-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph

There has to be a way.
yeah, $12/month is a little steep for just some radio. too many subscriptions already, i have enough bills. the Digital Music channels on DirecTV are good enough for me at home, so i couldn't see spending a few hundred dollars for a Sat Radio receiver and the monthly fee for just the car. but if Lwin could find a way to hack them.......

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
I disagree with the idea of paying for radio; in fact I find it almost 'wrong'. Here's a thread I was involved in about it.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?threadid=155521

- Rob
Old 05-05-2003, 10:38 AM

When I lived in Europe and Middle East, we had ways to get the sat. TV for free. There are many free to air channels but we had recievers with programmable decoder chips for the videos (yeah we can use them for dss -- free DSS ) since we can unscrambel video, unscrambling radio should be as easy, if not easier.

I refuse to pay for anything that is brocasted to all the people (ie cable modem). If it is brocasted to everyone, why not catch the waves and watch/listen to them.

L
Old 05-05-2003, 10:40 AM
FifthElement

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

yeah, $12/month is a little steep for just some radio. too many subscriptions already, i have enough bills. the Digital Music channels on DirecTV are good enough for me at home, so i couldn't see spending a few hundred dollars for a Sat Radio receiver and the monthly fee for just the car. but if Lwin could find a way to hack them.......
Just to clarify, XM is 9.99 a month vs. Sirius which is 12.99 a month. XM is less expensive because of commercials, whereas Sirius is commercial free. XM commercial content really varies by channel. For example, two of the channels I listen to (Ethel and The Move) are commercial free, and the other one (Squizz) has one thirty second commercial usually every hour. So even though XM is saying they have commercials, the commercial content is truly far and in between.

As far as hacking goes: it is possible, but the equipment cost is MUCH higher than you would end up paying for the real equipment and service.
Old 05-05-2003, 10:53 AM
Hater

even $10/month is too much when i have a MD changer in the car, and all the music i can burn on my computer.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07 AM
FifthElement

Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark
even $10/month is too much when i have a MD changer in the car, and all the music i can burn on my computer.
Yeah I know what you mean. But i still disagree! There's just so much more variety than you could imagine. And it's really nice to not have to worry about searching for mp3s, burning the disc, yadda yadda yadda.

You all are probably going to have to deal with more of my posts on this topic. I actually didn't start an XM post before just because I knew I had way too much to say about it. I really love talking about XM.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:17 AM
FifthElement

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane
I disagree with the idea of paying for radio; in fact I find it almost 'wrong'.

- Rob
I have a feeling there are many who feel the way you do. But just keep in mind there were many who felt this way (some still do) about Cable TV, too. So that's not to say it is not going to catch on with the masses once the masses actually learn about it.

I'm definitely one in the minority who is completely frustrated with his local FM stations' commercial content and is willing to pay for better radio. To me, it's very much worth the nominal monthly fee for a varitable commercial-less jukebox service.

Businesswise, it's been quite an investment. Roughly six months ago, XMSR (nasdaq) was barely over 2 when I got in. Now, it's exceeded 9. That's quite a jump for what was nearly a penny stock. That's not to say it was a smooth ride! I almost got out when it dropped back down around 3 after a jump...I'm now very glad I was able to hold on until recently to sell it off. But, considering this is a very new technology that not many people in the general public, let alone the investing public, are aware of, there's every reason to expect much more from the stock in the years to come. If I was not in immediate need of the funds/profits from that investment, I would still be in. Ok, that stock advice was free.

Check out the forum www.xmfan.com for more discussion and information on XM Satellite Radio.

Last edited by FifthElement; 05-05-2003 at 11:19 AM.