Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Registered SVX
Recaro install

I bought a pair of Recaro Expert L seats and installed the passenger side today. Some odds and ends still need attention - and the rails for the drivers side should arrive tomorrow.

I used the original manual rails. The distance between the rails is 420 mm and the Recaro bolt pattern is 205mm.

The seat over all dimensions are spot on, there's app 3/4" clearance on both sides to the back rest side bolsters when the transmission tunnel side is thru bolted directly to the rail. This means, that the whole 15mm offset must be dealt with on the door side.

One really important issue for me was to be able to use the original seat belt system and anchors. Though the buckle and the shoulder belt guide move with the seat, in a crash situation the forces are directed to the rails bolted to the body by a separate U-shaped rail. This structure appears to be very strong and three bolts are used to bolt the rail to the car body. All this is still original.

Some adapter material is needed to allow the mounting with offset - I used 15x50mm 6063 T5 extruded aluminum. I drilled and tapped M8 holes for bolting to the rails and 6,3 mm holes with sunk-ins for the allen heads - see photo. I installed two extra M8 bolts to the rear for added strength.

The Recaros use 6 pcs of M6 mounting bolts, two at the front and one at the rear on both sides.

The installation was a breeze and seat position and angle are perfect. The rails do not slide all the way back because the LH mounting bolt heads foul against the slider. This is compensated by the seat position relative to the rails, though, and I can sit with my legs completely straight. Will have to wait and see how the drivers side goes.

The seats are very nice both to look at and to sit in - I think the color scheme and visual design are very "period". There are adjustments for the back rest tilt, width of the back rest side bolsters (nice), head rest, length of the seat bottom and pnematic control for the lumbar support (at extra cost). The back rest tilts forward very nicely and rear access is alright even without moving the seat forward.

A small piece of upholstery is required to hide the outside rail and the adapters. Other than that and some bolt length adjustments the passenger side is finished.

Highly recommended, see photos !

/Tapani
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat 1.jpg (225.5 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg seat 2 transmission tunnel clearance.jpg (217.4 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg seat 3 door handle clearance.jpg (227.9 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg seat 4 colors.jpg (245.9 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg seat 5 adapter 15mm offset.jpg (252.3 KB, 362 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Re: Recaro install

That looks great! The factory SVX seats may be comfy but they don't provide much in the way of lateral support.

I think your dog would like a ride.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Looks a lot like my setup. Nice job, you will love the Recaros. They do fit very good in the car. And I did the same as you with retaining all the OEM seatbelt setups. I just used some flat stock steel bolted to the original tracks with holes for the Recaros. I wish I had gotten a manual driver seat rail set from an SVX beforehand though. I used one from a legacy and modified the power SVX rail and made everything work.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks,

The Speed seats are great. They were my first thought and I sat in them for a long time before deciding to go for a little less HC ..... I only do maybe 5 track days a year and the SVX is my daily driver during the summer months, so every day comfort is a major consideration for me.

Br,

Tapani
Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Yea I found a great deal and got them for $1000 barely used. They're the SRD. I have an older set of Recaro SE that I moved from the SVX into my explorer when I got the SRD. I got the SE used but never installed for $600 a few years ago. I don't think I'll own anything without Recaros now, I have spoiled myself rotten heh.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:07 AM

Registered SVX

Great,

I got some higher grade (10.9) allen head bolts and replaced all standard (8.8). Reassembled everything with thread lock.

I also made a panel to hide the outside rail and adapters. I used a slice of a plastic square ventilation duct :-) and covered it with some speaker fabric..... turned out allright - very easy to do. See photos.

The drivers side rails will not arrive until Monday .... they got stuck in Arnhem (NL) for 24 hours for some reason.

/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat 6 panel.jpg (250.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg seat 7 close up panel.jpg (280.8 KB, 306 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Registered SVX

Planted technology have seat brackets for the SVX too.

http://www.plantedtechnology.com/pro...images/subaru/

If interested you want to talk to Jeff at sale(at)plantedtechnology.com, he was extremely helpful.

The seat belts are attached to the bracket, see photos.
"Our bracket work great with Recaro seats. You'll want to use their aftermarket non-tabbed sliders (part # 0.70.9NT)."
Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Br,

/T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat 10 mount plates.jpg (245.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg seat 11 belt anchor.jpg (228.8 KB, 256 views)
Old 07-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Registered SVX

The seat looking good.
Also like the dog in the pictures.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM

Registered SVX

Looks great! Just can't my head around The rear seats being different color and material .Looks ok in the original dark grey interior. Sort of strange in the original tan. I would either remove the rear seats all together or have them Recovered .

Last edited by Conn SVX; 07-13-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Registered SVX

Oh, you're right about the rear seats :-).

The thing to do could be to recover them all in alcantara and suede matching the whole interior color scheme.

This will cost at least as much as the front seats did - so it will have to wait .

The other option is to use the Recaro materials - which are available, I believe.

Has anyone done this?

/T

PS The dog is one of three - the others are a white shepherd and an australian cattle dog (blue heeler to some). They can only ride in the Outback or the Forester - not the SVX
Old 07-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
PS The dog is one of three - the others are a white shepherd and an australian cattle dog (blue heeler to some). They can only ride in the Outback or the Forester - not the SVX
I understand, its good to have more Subarues to choose whit
Have just got a 95impeza my self my new DD/winter car. Not a turbo so its cheap to drive i hope, need to change timingbelt and suspension.

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX