Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Some Random Weirdo

Is there anything different with a JDM motor?

As per my other thread, I am having issues with a possible blown head gasket. I have been thinking about it and if I do find out that it is indeed blown, I may just go with a different motor instead simply for cost. I am thinking if I find one with low enough miles I am not going to worry about a head, timing belt, or water pump with that motor considering I don't rack up a lot of miles anyways.

I am considering going the route of a JDM motor simply because the one I have found claims to be under 50K and looks to be in great condition. I asked the seller if they were aware of the actual miles so I better had an idea on what I am looking at.

My question is do I have to take into consideration anything different in terms of parts or labor in doing an engine swap with a JDM motor? I am ignorant to this so I want to make sure that I do not get something that I do not understand that has additional cost for parts/labor to be installed into my 94 SVX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the actual motor from eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-96-SUBARU...fd0865&vxp=mtr
Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Is there anything different with a JDM motor?

It is still strongly recommended to regasket the engine which includes water pump/timing belt service and head bolts with the head gaskets. These head gaskets do not fail from mileage, but rather age. I have seen plenty over 200k miles on their original head gaskets while I have also seen some with right at 100k miles having them failed.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Some Random Weirdo

It would be ideal to do that, but I have just spent over $3k on the car recently and my wife is none too pleased about it. I am trying to look for other options if I do indeed need to replace everything. I figured a JDM engine at $900 shipped plus labor would be the cheapest way to go.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:17 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

If I remember correctly the JDM engines are missing the EGR stuff since it was not required in Japan. I'm not sure if that will cause CEL codes or not, maybe one of the gurus here will comment.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

The brake booster nipple is also on the wrong side, so you would need to swap your injector stacks over. Might as well just change out the intake manifold for your USDM one.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
If I remember correctly the JDM engines are missing the EGR stuff since it was not required in Japan. I'm not sure if that will cause CEL codes or not, maybe one of the gurus here will comment.
If I am not mistaken this depends on your car.... the California models will measure the EGR gas temperature (as an indication for flow) and if not correct you will get CEL. All other cars will just need all the electrics connectedl not to throw a code.

The JDM timing maps are quite a bit different - I do not know how deleting the EGR will affect tendency to ping under light loads (USM firmware). This was a big issue in my -84 307 Toronado .

/T
Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Some Random Weirdo

It sounds like there are differences.

If I go the engine route I will just got with a North American one. I am just looking for the lowest possible price to get this thing on the road. I would love to have all of the engine work done, but I also like sleeping in my bed and not on my couch.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:27 PM

Registered SVX

That's fine, but chances are, you're going to end up in the same position you are now. Might be 5 weeks from now, may be a few years. But a used 22 year old engine is a used 22 year old engine regardless of miles. I've seen it happen a ton of times.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Some Random Weirdo

It is possible, but worth the risk if I can not have to put out the money now as this is a big issue to the wife. I assured her on what the 4.44 cost and all of that it now right after that I encounter this issue. My marriage comes before my car needs and I do have another car to drive if need be. If I hadn't just had that work done and this was a normal "unexpected" cost then it would be fine, but not after spending this kind of money and not even having the car running normally for any period of time. It sucks, but you have to pick your battles.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 AM

Registered SVX

If you're not going to replace the head gaskets while the engine is out make sure you can do a proper test drive before you buy. A "loose" engine is a big unknown.

The additional cost related to the gaskets is very low compared to the price of engine and labour cost to swap it. A number of extra cost items will need attention when you take your own engine out anyway. Stuff like cracked / hard vacuum lines, water hoses and so on. Maybe, rear crank seal, timing belt, water pump, radiator.... the list goes on and on. Mine cost several thousand in the end and the only things worn were big end bearings. And the blown head gaskets.

Consider bying an engine and a stand, take off timing components, cam covers, cams and swap the HGs - reassemble. Make sure you have all what's required, then lift the old engine out and sell it to someone..... with blown head gaskets.

Are you going to do it yourself? If yes you may come out cheaper by fixing the engine you have.....

/T
Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Registered SVX

Are you capable of changing the Headgaskets your self? Then it would cost you $400 for gaskets getting the head shaved and new fliuds. It's really not all that hard.
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM
Some Random Weirdo

There is no chance I could do anything like that.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
There is no chance I could do anything like that.
You drive a svx time to learn LOL!! 😄
#1 1994 Ls ebony parts car-rip
#2 1994 L laguna blue - sold
#3 1992 Lsi pearl white - sold
#4 1992 Lsi pearl white -Ate two engines - Rip
#5 1994 L Laguna Blue fwd - Now Awd and manual - 03 wrx 5mt - 18's stern warp st4s - totaled hit a tree
#6 1992 Lsi custom orange parts car
#7 1992 Lsi green 4.44 swap. Currently for sale
#8 1992 Lsi custom pearl white. Project car... sold
#9 1992 Teal 4.44 swapped... sold
#10 1995 Laguna Blue. Sti 19 wheels,
#11 1994 Laguna Blue. Came with #10 engine and trans are out but plan to put it back on the road. Willing to sell it at any time! 😂