How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-27-2013, 12:33 AM

Registered SVX
hydra 2.1 vs 2.7

I'm looking at picking up a hydra 2.1 system for my TT setup and was wondering if I should upgrade to 2.7 for the extra 600
Old 10-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Re: hydra 2.1 vs 2.7

I'm running 2.7 and I will say the interface is very nice, and it is very easy to work with once you understand the basics. Also if you need support for anything, there will be no support or updates for the 2.1. The 2.7 can have the firmware updated while in the car through the serial connection just like tuning it. The 2.1 is a really old design and structure. If it were 2.6 that you were getting the added cost to upgrade to 2.7 would be questionable, but 2.1 will probably be worth it with all the added functionality.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireiron View Post
I'm running 2.7 and I will say the interface is very nice, and it is very easy to work with once you understand the basics. Also if you need support for anything, there will be no support or updates for the 2.1. The 2.7 can have the firmware updated while in the car through the serial connection just like tuning it. The 2.1 is a really old design and structure. If it were 2.6 that you were getting the added cost to upgrade to 2.7 would be questionable, but 2.1 will probably be worth it with all the added functionality.
Which 2.7 are you running?
Alpha
Beta
Gamma,
Delta
Epsilon?
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM

I started with Gamma which had everything I thought I would need at the time. Since then I have unlocked the external wideband feature because I am using a Zeitronix for all of my gauges because of the single display unit (no clutter of gauges in the beautiful factory SVX interior). So far everything else with the Gamma is plenty, although if I went with the Epsilon I could play with traction control later once everything is tuned up, although spinning all 4 tires in first gear without traction control can certainly be fun. But as far as running the car, the Gamma has everything needed aside from my choice to use the external wideband. If you want the autotune feature I would suggest going with the Hydra internal wideband and their wideband kit. So far even with help from Hydra I have not been able to get the external wideband autotune to work.

So you know I have a 6MT and a cammed, forged, supercharged engine...
Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I started with Gamma which had everything I thought I would need at the time. Since then I have unlocked the external wideband feature because I am using a Zeitronix for all of my gauges because of the single display unit (no clutter of gauges in the beautiful factory SVX interior). So far everything else with the Gamma is plenty, although if I went with the Epsilon I could play with traction control later once everything is tuned up, although spinning all 4 tires in first gear without traction control can certainly be fun. But as far as running the car, the Gamma has everything needed aside from my choice to use the external wideband. If you want the autotune feature I would suggest going with the Hydra internal wideband and their wideband kit. So far even with help from Hydra I have not been able to get the external wideband autotune to work.

Good to know, right now I have a 5spd and working on a TT setup so I figured the hydra would be nice
Old 10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
ECUTune Stage III kit or something else?
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)