Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Can you eliminate a noise by just putting the car up on a lift?

I had this moderate knocking/rattling noise in my front end. It seemed to be worse at low speed over uneven bumps. It didn't go away when braking. My mechanic and his co-worker looked at the suspension components three times and couldn't find any issues with the usual suspects. When I had my tires changed over from snows to all-seasons and an oil change, I had him look again. He said he didn't see anything. When I drove the car home, I noticed the noise was gone! I asked him if he tightened anything or lubed anything and he didn't recall doing either. He suggested something may have shifted when the car was unloaded on the lift.

Well, over the past month or so, the noise has slowly returned. At first it was very faint but it is getting back to almost where it was before it disappeared. Does this point to any component specifically? What could shift when the car is on a lift and shift back slowly over time?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Can you eliminate a noise by just putting the car up on a lift?

Strut top?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

maybe the swaybar got moved a little to one side or the other?

Dunno. Don't forget to check the back suspension if it goes back up on a lift as sometimes sound wanders to strange places.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
maybe the swaybar got moved a little to one side or the other?

Dunno. Don't forget to check the back suspension if it goes back up on a lift as sometimes sound wanders to strange places.
I wondered about that. Maybe I should grease or replace and grease the bushings.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Strut top?
I looked at the parts diagram for the front struts and I can't visualize what would have moved. The one thing that stood out were the upper and lower spring seats.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Pull the large "D" shaped plastic cap in the rear corners of the engine bay and you will see the top mounts. There is a metal ring that fits into the hole on the frame and then a rubber bushing between the ring and the bearing.
If that rubber is dried and cracked, jack up that corner and reach under the fender to shake the strut. You really shouldn't have any movement. I've had movement in there make occasional noises over bumps. It would vary with how things lined up as the strut loaded/unloaded over bumps and around sharp turns.

Be careful, if that is your problem you can pull the strut out of the top. Especially if you push down on a torque wrench trying to get 150lbs on the axle nut
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176

I have some inputs that may help the OP (original poster). Check the easy items first:

- remove both tires and disconnect the driver side sway bar end link from the driver front strut housing. Leave the other end link connected on the pass side.

- now, move the driver side end link up down, side to side and look for play.

In my case, I had play in the following two areas:

- the rubber boots on the end links were shot and this introduced play.
- the driver side end link is connected to the sway bar using splines. This connection came lose on my car and simply tightening the nut took care of it.

Even after replacing ALL front strut items (upper/lower rubber seats, upper strut mount, new strut cartridge), I STILL had a crazy clunking. This was due to the two items I mentioned above.

So, check the easy stuff first. Maybe remove the sway bar end links from the struts and move the sway bar out of the way and then go for a careful drive to see if the noises go away? Just a suggestion.

Good luck.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 10-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Update on this.

The knocking noise has slowly come back over a four month period. I was just starting to hear it again when Nate came through our area and now it is almost back to where it was before the car was put up on a lift.

One new observation is that I can actually feel the knock with my left foot. I noticed that yesterday when I was pushing down on the floor (just behind the wheel well area) to scoot myself up in the seat while driving. When I heard the noise I could feel it under my foot like something was knocking the other side. I haven't noticed it with my right foot but, then again, that foot is usually on the gas.

Would that point to something specific? I was thinking the sway bar bushings were sticky and the bar was shifting over too far over time, as one person had suggested. It doesn't look like it has but it is hard for me to judge how close is too close between the bar and the mounting hardware. I don't know how much it moves while driving.