Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
What does SVX stand for anyways? (part II)

I found the link http://www.svx.com (it's a Japanese site, a little difficult to read). Just now ran it through the Babelfish website translator (at http://babel.altavista.com/). Much better!

If you click on the 2nd link down, "About SVX," it says that SVX stands for "Subaru Vehicle X". Is the "X" a Roman numeral "10"?

The second missing word is "Pleiades" (name of the M45 star cluster, AKA "The Seven Sisters.") This is the constellation in the Subaru emblem. "Alcyone" is one of the stars/sisters (see a photo of the constellation at http://www.seds.org/billa/twn/m45x.html).

There is some other neat info on the "About SVX" page -- specs and options on the Japanese versions of the car.

Under the 3rd link down, "After Parts" (after-market parts, perhaps?), midway down there is a link to "Installation of audio" . Lotsa neat pictures (really cool seeing the RHD layout, and different environmental control panel; I would love to see a better pic of that).

Now we know what pin 16 is for on the radio connector: "to audio satellite switches" (remote amp power control, I bet; I'll have to search for the speaker/antenna connector in the trunk where I think the other end of that wire goes). You can tell they got the (bad) info for pins 4 and 12 from the Subaru wiring diagram -- says those pins only go to the CD player (they also go to the car's instrument illumination and dimming circuitry).

Take a look at this SVX WAGON !!! http://www.svx.com/amadeus.jpg (midway down the "gallery" page).

I started traversing some of the links from his "links" page. Lots of fascinating sites out there, and a surprising amount is readable via Babelfish.

Last edited by SVXdc; 11-05-2002 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:40 PM
I hate stupid people!

Send a message via AIM to BoominSVX
ROAHHHHHH!!!!! I think I'm going to head to the store tomorrow and get myself a telescope just so I cane see Subaru. I really want to see what alcyone looks like. Amazing isn't it? 400 light years away, doesn't that mean that there is a chance that the start isn't even really there rght now? I never paid attention to that stuff in school, but is that the case?
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

(I just added a bit to my original post)
Old 11-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I don't remember where I saw it, but I seem to remember one SVX website claiming the "X" stood for eXperimental.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: What does SVX stand for anyways? (part II)

Quote:
Originally posted by svxdc
Now we know what pin 16 is for on the radio connector: "to audio satellite switches" (remote amp power control, I bet; I'll have to search for the speaker/antenna connector in the trunk where I think the other end of that wire goes). You can tell they got the (bad) info for pins 4 and 12 from the Subaru wiring diagram -- says those pins only go to the CD player (they also go to the car's instrument illumination and dimming circuitry).
Early JDM models had radio/volume controls (audio satellite switches) on the steering wheel as standard. Airbag wheel (no audio satellite switches) was only an option.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure

Last edited by paddlesnz; 11-06-2002 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:10 AM
I hate stupid people!

I like X better than expiramental. It sounds more mysterious anyway. All the good names are "something" X. I don't think there would be so much curiosity if planet X was planet experimantal. It makes it sound like a lab rat.
92 SVX LSL, Ebony Mica/Grey leather, K&N Cone, Pioneer Dehp-7300 premier, White Guages, Radar detector, Volfenhag VDX 12's, Memphis ST1000D digital amp, CompuSTAR 2000AS 2 way paging alarm with visual confirmation, and auto start. Cell Holder, Xenon (Ebay) bulbs in highs lows and fogs, Wire loom in engine bay, and a kitchen sink complete with soap dispensor and soap scum.
Old 11-06-2002, 05:30 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Super VEHICLE XTRAORDINARY AND THAT'S A FACT
Old 11-06-2002, 06:29 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Re: What does SVX stand for anyways? (part II)

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

Early JDM models had radio/volume controls (audio satellite switches) on the steering wheel as standard. Airbag wheel (no audio satellite switches) was only an option.
For those who want to see what an original JDM steering wheel looks like, check this link;

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b27956278

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 11-06-2002, 08:55 AM
Hater

nice, i'd much rather have that wheel than the "lump" that's in the car now. stupid airbags....

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-06-2002, 10:47 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: "audio satellite switches"

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz
I had guessed the translation was off a little, but this makes a lot more sense. So I won't be looking for the black/white wire in the trunk .

Thanks for the information, paddlesnz! The pictures on the auction site are cool. The radio must have digital volume controls (not a knob like we have in the US). I'd love to see a picture of their radio too.

As for the "X," somehow I don't think the Japanese would pick a letter from inside a word (like "eXperimental"). I agree with BoominSVX -- it's more like "ZX" or even "Racer X" .

OK, next silly question: What does "JDM" stand for?

Last edited by SVXdc; 11-06-2002 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Hater

Re: Re: "audio satellite switches"

Quote:
Originally posted by svxdc
OK, next silly question: What does "JDM" stand for?
Japanese Domestic Market
translation: all the good stuff they don't send to the U.S.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-06-2002, 11:24 AM
I hate stupid people!

I wonder if I could find some japanese junk yards that could sell me some turn signals with that altivist thingy. I'd better start looking. Anyone else do this with any other parts yet?