Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 PM

Re: It looks like my timing belt slipped at some point. Do I realign and move on?

I got it to work using a pry bar/screw driver to stop the flywheel and I did it by myself from underneath the car! I wedged a 12" pry bar (I could have used a big screwdriver) into the teeth and held it with my left hand. I then pulled on the torque wrench I had already placed on the crankshaft nut with my right hand. I had to brace my foot on the front frame rail to get enough leverage, but I got the bolt to 115 ft-lbs in about 5 seconds!

I'm so excited that I am ALMOST done. I only need to change the oil and then I can start her up to check for leaks. It's such a sense of accomplishment to wrap up something that has been haunting me for so long. Thanks to everyone for helping out. I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do it, but I REALLY want to return my thanks to the SVX members by using some of the 50+ pictures I took to make a how to for the complete novice. This is not a difficult project that requires much mechanical knowledge or tools, it's just daunting without knowing exactly what you are getting into.