Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quick diesels?

Had a bit of a go with a new V**vo V70 2.0 diesel today. Bugger me it went well! I had to really stretch the old SVX's legs to pass him. No real bends involved though, and confined to around 120 ish but I did put a fresh layer of brake dust on my wheels. Funny thing is there was absolutely no exhaust smoke from it. One of my lads has a Seat FR diesel thing, which I drove last week. Torque in abundance yet the damn thing has 6 gears. Only needs 3. Red lines at 4500 rpm!
With all this muggy 'French' hot weather here recently I have really appreciated the SVX aircon, it's so cold I've had to wrap up some days! Must be built with Death Valley conditions in mind I reckon.

Have a happy SVX day everyone - I have!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Re: Quick diesels?

Modern diesels I guess, I have just bought a new Renault Trafic Sport LWB van with a 2 litre engine 115 bhp engine and it just flies compared to my Transit not only that with the trip computer on board I am getting 39 mpg and thats with air-con on. Still can't get my head around the fact that the first oil change is 18000 miles though but its quick and very quiet and on motorways 80 mph seems nothing in 6th gear.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Funny you mention 18,000m oil change intervals. A HGV mechanic pal tells me that truck fleet operators change the oil when a sample analysis indicates it's ready. With shift driving, synthetics, and presumably our silly 50 odd mph speed limit (everyone here must appreciate the 5 mile overtake routine on the motorway when towing stops you using lane 3...) this can mean 90,000m between changes!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I wish they made more diesels here in the states. The BMW 3 series can be had with a twin turbo diesel with about 290 horsepower and a 0-60mph time of under 6 seconds. Pretty sweet that it also gets over 35 mpg
Old 07-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Diesel engine have become much more clean in the past few years with new emissions regulations. They are becoming more powerful and more efficient as well. The heavy duty truck emissions for US2010 standards actually have cleaner exhaust than intake believe it or not...

IMHO Diesel will soon dominate as prefered fuel

Tom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: