Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Code 55 and 56 - what causes these?

This just started happening this past week. It's happened twice now.

When I start my car cold, it'll idle good for a bit (~30 seconds) and then the idle drops real low (the car has never stalled though) and the check engine light comes on. Once I get moving, the light goes out and the car seems to operate normally.

I got around to checking the stored codes today, and I came up with code 55 and 56 - "EGR Temperature sensor or circuit" and "EGR system" respectively. The obvious answer would be to look at the EGR temperature sensor , but is there anything else I should inspect that might cause these codes to pop up? Also, where is the EGR temp sensor located, and is it easy to get to it?

I should also mention that this car has gotten dismal gas mileage (~13-14 mpg around town) ever since I got it in February - could this be related?
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: Code 55 and 56 - what causes these?

Are you running the A/C a lot? That would contribute to your poor gas mileage.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 05-16-2009, 04:16 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
Are you running the A/C a lot? That would contribute to your poor gas mileage.
I haven't used it hardly at all. I prefer driving with the windows open whenever possible...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Im in the same boat man, ive had the 56 since I bought her. After I cleaned out the EGR pintle and vacuum lines, the MIL stayed off for about 4 days and came back. My idle also drops pretty low after it warms up... about 350-400 RPM. I would say that your EGR sticks open momentarily, could be a restriction in one of the vac lines or solenoid. I still need to check and clean my solenoid, since I cleaned everything else already. Im not really sure about the temp sensor though.... ill keep an eye on your thread to see if anyone can field that..... im still wondering how the computer can sense an EGR valve stuck open/closed condition in the first place (no sensor on the EGR itself).

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Just wanted to shout out in triumph that I FINALLY got rid of my EGR code and the accompanying MIL. My EGR vacuum diaphragm was toast, so replaced that... code returned immediately along with a new code 55. Went back over what had been screwing with me before, a clog in the hard-line that runs under the intake. No matter how many times I would free it with compressed air, it would be clogged mysteriously the next time I checked, every time.

Soooo this time, i just bypassed the hard-line completely (its the one that does NOT go to the solenoid, just straight to the modulator) and ran a vac line from the TB port down to the modulator. PRESTO! (albeit looks like crap )Cleared codes, drove all day, NO MORE FRIGGING BRIGHT GLOWING SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT!! Of course, the only reason I dove into it after all this time was because its smog check time

Wish me luck... I poured "Guaranteed to pass" in the tank, so its a sure bet right?

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

That's awesome! Your persistence finally pays off. Hopefully this information will help the next guy struggling with a EGR code. How do you think the vacuum line will hold up compared to the hardline? I am assuming there was a reason they used a metal for that one.

Good luck with your smog inspection!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
That's awesome! Your persistence finally pays off. Hopefully this information will help the next guy struggling with a EGR code. How do you think the vacuum line will hold up compared to the hardline? I am assuming there was a reason they used a metal for that one.

Good luck with your smog inspection!
I think it was just for appearance than anything else.... the new rubber line doesnt look nearly as "neat". Whatever is in the metal line is made of kryptonite as no amount of brakeleen and compressed air could tame it.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan

there is a kind of parts washer that i use that works extremely well i forget the name of it but its at any parts store and its the kind where you let parts soak for a while.
need work done? Have tools will travel