Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-08-2002, 01:48 AM
Jedi Member

Funny thing happened yesterday, a little old lady pulled right out infront of me in an intersection. Made a huge screeching noise. I think that I'll look around some junkyards on the net to see if I can get the wheel because the parts car guys either arn't responding or can't figure out how to get the wheel of. (hint hint if there are any parts car guys reading this)
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 10-08-2002, 06:59 AM
RearView

Would you believe that I put new pads on the front 2 weeks ago and now there is a screeching (on occasion) from the front left wheel assembly - I am not sure what it is and it only sounds intermittent but I am goign to have to save up and also get the rubber surrounds of the pistons done since they have deterioated.

Swimming with the rest of the SVX clan in the money pit!!

Come in, the waters warmed by 4EATS!!

I have the same problem, my brakes are almost like new and they screech sometimes, when i got 3 weeks ago, thwe guy that sold it to me kept the brakes from before and there not even have used. isnt that odd?
Old 10-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by RearView
Would you believe that I put new pads on the front 2 weeks ago and now there is a screeching (on occasion) from the front left wheel assembly - I am not sure what it is and it only sounds intermittent but I am goign to have to save up and also get the rubber surrounds of the pistons done since they have deterioated.

Swimming with the rest of the SVX clan in the money pit!!

Come in, the waters warmed by 4EATS!!

I have the same problem, my brakes are almost like new and they screech sometimes, when i got 3 weeks ago, thwe guy that sold it to me kept the brakes from before and there not even have used. isnt that odd?
The SVX is a strange animal when it comes to brakes. It "likes" its OEM pads. I've tried cheap pads and I've tried expensive pads, the SVX just seems to like the OE pads the best, as far as keeping down the noise.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-09-2002, 07:18 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have noticed some high pitched noises from my brakes on occasion. They never seem to make the noise when they are new. It is always after they have been in awhile. I think it's form a piece of rust on the rotor that fall off and gets in between the pad and rotor surface. I fine that cleaning off all the loose rust will help.

The last time I inspected my rotors I ground off the lip that was forming beyound the pad wear zone. This also seemed to help with noise and braking. The pads had worn down to about 30% left when I did this after about 15 month since new.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Err...for some reason my post came up as "rearview" from Canada!!

Being Irish in Australia is confusing enough --- but I hear Canada calling!!!

Jamsvx (James, the fellow in Sydney....you know...Camry driving loon with an SVX garage queen!)

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 10-09-2002, 06:11 PM

I had some screeching from my front pads and I noticed that I was able to "wobble" the calipers a tiny bit if I pushed/pulled on them 90 degrees to the rotor surface. MoreIBNR (hope I got that right) suggested I check the guide pins as they sometimes work themselves loose.

Checked, they were loose, tightened them and the noise has gone away. Not that it matters, but I do not have stock pads.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by RearView
Mine has new brakes all around and the rear brakes squeal like a stuck pig at every stop. It's embarrassing as hell! One day soon I will get around to pulling the pads and putting some of that blue, silicon-like, anti-squeal crap on the back of them. The brakes were all changed when I bought it so I don't know if they are OEM or not (probably not) but I will file away the OEM suggestion for future reference.

Thanks for the suggestion, Randy !

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.