Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM

VTD to manual swap

Yes Yes again another manual swap topic but i need help.. In short my situation is this: My tranny broke, tried to find a 4.44, almost did but didn't (European tranny), tried to find a new stock tranny, realized what's the point... might as well go manual.

So now I'm trying to find all the parts I'll need for this swap before actually buying anything.

I was thinking of buying this - Would it actually help me with my project or is it just a waste of money?

Also is the list of the parts I'd need to buy somewhere else (or get from a donor vehicle) correct? I have the European svx and the instructions in that link will be for the US svx so I understand they will not tell me the right wiring diagrams? Or will it help at all? And if I remember correctly, do you OAB_AU, have the wiring diagrams for the "VTD type tranny to manual" conversion?

Which manual gearbox would you recommend? 5speed or 6speed ; with DCCD or without? I understand it would need to be +04? In which models would I need to change the rear diff?

And finally here in Finland we have the emission tests and I was wondering if it will have an effect with the emissions?

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I just want to be sure before I buy anything.. I have read the other topics but can't be sure they match with the European SVX..

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: VTD to manual swap

Hi Jere, I am not the manual man, but there are some good people here, like Huck. I can tell you that as I see it the problem that you have is mainly the Speedo drive. The one VTD uses an inductive pick-up, so the speed sensor has to go to the TCU to be converted to a digital signal to run to Speedo. Depending of where the speed sensor .is on the European box that you are going to use. If it is on the front diff, you can just change to sensor for an US Hall Effect type that will run the Speedo. If it .is inside the box, it is an Inductive type, that will have to go to the auto TCU to be converted to the ratio and Digital square wave that the Speedo needs.

The only other difference is that the VTD box is longer that the US one, so the rear mount, and tail shaft will be different to the US conversion.

There have been a couple done here in Australia,
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ghlight=speedo
but I don't know if the type of box they used, is the same as you will get in Finland.

All the best,
Harvey

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.