Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2010, 05:09 PM

Alternator workings

I have a few questions that I'm sure someone here can easily answer.

With our alternator - if the engine does not run at set speed, how does the volts and output get controlled?
- as our alt is rated at 100 amps - does it make 100 amps regardless or just enough to run the car + accessories - and what typically would be the load used to say, run the engine with A/C on and lights?
and finally - does the alt place much of a load on the engine, like x hp to make x amps or is it a case of it's just there and it just works

just curious
Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Alternator workings

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
I have a few questions that I'm sure someone here can easily answer.

With our alternator - if the engine does not run at set speed, how does the volts and output get controlled?
- as our alt is rated at 100 amps - does it make 100 amps regardless or just enough to run the car + accessories - and what typically would be the load used to say, run the engine with A/C on and lights?
and finally - does the alt place much of a load on the engine, like x hp to make x amps or is it a case of it's just there and it just works

just curious
The alternator incorporates a voltage regulator. The lower the detected battery voltage the greater the adjusted alternator output in amps.

This also means that with any increase the connected load, the output current will be adjusted.

The alternator does indeed place a parasitic load on the engine, and this will vary in accordance with the output, which in turn will depend on the electrical load. Annoying others at the traffic lights with a boom box, therefore costs you.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Alternator workings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The alternator incorporates a voltage regulator. The lower the detected battery voltage the greater the adjusted alternator output in amps.

This also means that with any increase the connected load, the output current will be adjusted.

The alternator does indeed place a parasitic load on the engine, and this will vary in accordance with the output, which in turn will depend on the electrical load. Annoying others at the traffic lights with a boom box, therefore costs you.
Building on that, most recent cars, I think including the SVX, also have the field control directed by the ECU which also adjusts alternator output for other factors, such as incoming air temp or engine load.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.