IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
New SVX? Toyota/Subaru Collaboration

Santa brought me the Car of the Year Issue of EVO, a UK magazine

It has an article on the Toyota concept FT-86 developed in conjunction with Subaru.

The last paragraph talks about the Subaru version having a turbocharged Impreza 2 litre engine with four wheel drive.

Photos of the article in the gallery,, but I don't know how to get them to display in large size. Also have a pdf I made of the article but don't know where to post it.

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/viralvid...6_concept.html

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...php?photo=1901

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/24...ota_coupe.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evospyshot...t86_coupe.html
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 AM

Re: New SVX? Toyota/Subaru Collaboration

I am looking forward to this car... so far we've not seen hide nor hair of the Subaru version.

Although the Subaru version is rumored to be bigger, more like the 2008-current GR chassis Impreza. (which is also related directly to the 2004-2009 Legacy chassis, which did house an EZ-type H6 under the hood)

It is rumored that it will also keep the front-engined, AWD layout, instead of the toyota's RWD layout with the engine behind the front axle line, out of reach for AWD front axles from the sides of the transaxle front differential.

I hope they drop this stuff SOON. The rumors are years old now, and we still wait.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

wheels are on backwards

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Great photos of the FT-86 can be found on the concept website HERE

Here is the page that talks about the Subaru version at Autoblog

Rendering in STI trim. So much for the SVX.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't put too much faith in that rendering. Not that I have anything else to go on, but that thing looks amateur and "ricey" at best.

Personally, my realistic hope is that it splits the difference between the 2.5RS Coupe, and our beloved SVX.

Based on GR impreza, and BL Legacy (the two mule vehicles that have been photographed were chopped up versions of those two cars, which closely relate to each other anyway...)

The car will be smaller than the SVX but it will likely be more generous than the old GC chassis Impreza coupe.

The front end structure is common between the GR and BL chassis. The BL Legacy and Outback did fit the EZ30R engine. The EZ36 is the same outward size, and it should fit, as well, being barely longer than an EJ H4.

So there is a chance that the coupe could offer H6 power, not just H4 or Turbo.

With a unique body shell on the outside of the chassis, that looks better than the current Impreza, with a sleeker SVX-like roofline, and perhaps even as wide a stance as the WRX STI, with more graceful lines rather than chunky flares, it could still be a nice, AWD coupe, even if not as big as the original SVX. It probably would weigh roughly 300lbs less, as well, if the Impreza is an indication.

Couple that with some interior design elements brought in from the BL Legacy, and maybe even the Tribeca, and some proper suspension tuning for a competent but not teeth-rattling ride quality, and the addition of some things like variable power steering, and things that SVX had previously...

I still contend that it should have four models.

-Base H4 with 5MT or CVT gearboxes, AWD standard, base interior trim, ~$22-23K, just above base Toyota RWD version at about ~20K

-RS (WRX Equivalent) with 268hp Turbo 4, 6MT or upgraded automatic. sport cloth interior trim. ~$28K.
-RS STI upgraded from RS with 304+hp turbo, STI grade 6MT/DCCD, sport cloth/alcantara interior with recaros, Bilstein suspension, Brembo brakes, and BBS wheels. This would be the "Track" model. ~$32K

~$3K Limited option available for those three models, with leather/alcantara, sunroof/glass roof, ACC, HID headlights, NAV system, tech package, etc.

-SVX Grand Touring model. EZ36 H6 engine with 300+ horsepower, with STI grade 6MT/DCCD or upgraded sport shift automatic. Bilsteins with touring spring rates and anti-roll bars, Brembos, and BBS CH style wheels.
Sport/Touring interior. Much like STI+Limited package as standard. ~$35K

IF there is a business case, possibly a base SVX "L" model with the H6, automatic gearbox, and base interior, minus all the STI and Limited package toys, for ~$27K or so.

Take it right into the teeth of the non-AWD Genesis coupe, and undercut the G37x-Sport and Audi A5 Quattro 6MT S-Line.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:41 PM

Registered SVX

I think the car is looking amezing. But it wont bee a Svx i think it missing the windows and the dont forget the Flatsix engine.

But i really looking to see this car in action. I think it will rock..

My subarus:
1992 Svx LSI 5-MT(3.54)
1998 Legacy BG 2.5L GX
Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Yer, Subaru version is definitely not for public viewing yet.
Rumour has it that delays to date have been caused by getting direct injection fitted to engine
Friend who lives in Japan was at Tokyo Motor Show, and was indeed impressed with the Toyota coupe (he's Audi fan) but the car was run on the stand (no access to under the bonnet was allowed, period) and definitely did not sound like a boxer - and that the designated engine was tested at the N'ring in a Impresa Sti car, which does indicate the engine was not ready.
The Subie version is also to be AWD, wider and longer than Toyota version. Small article from Japan mag dated 30 Dec
Attached Images
File Type: jpg subaru-216a-ad1-480x600.jpg (56.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg subaru-216a-ad2-480x600.jpg (76.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking64 View Post
Yer, Subaru version is definitely not for public viewing yet.
Rumour has it that delays to date have been caused by getting direct injection fitted to engine
Friend who lives in Japan was at Tokyo Motor Show, and was indeed impressed with the Toyota coupe (he's Audi fan) but the car was run on the stand (no access to under the bonnet was allowed, period) and definitely did not sound like a boxer - and that the designated engine was tested at the N'ring in a Impresa Sti car, which does indicate the engine was not ready.
The Subie version is also to be AWD, wider and longer than Toyota version. Small article from Japan mag dated 30 Dec
Sadly every thing about the subaru verson is Rummour so far.
I just wait till Subaru offically releases info about there verson.

Im very Kean to get one for a daily run about

The only pic showing the engine for the Toyota verson is sadly in the Gran Turismo 5 Game.
Look at 2nd pic in this link to view...
http://www.ft-86.com/media/1-grand-t...t-86-clip.html
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration