Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to subaruster
Registered SVX
Re: Vibration under load

Glad to hear...I have the same problem you had. When you took off the old axles, did you see anything obvious that could have caused the vibration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
Got the new axles in and no more vibration! Guess it was a combination of bad ball joints and front axles.

BTW, the "cheapo" axles from Advance Auto ($60 ea vs $414 from Subaru ) looked to be every bit as good a quality part.

Next job is to do the rocker cover gaskets & fuel sending units. It just goes on...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaruster View Post
Glad to hear...I have the same problem you had. When you took off the old axles, did you see anything obvious that could have caused the vibration?
The right axle had a little wear on the end and a little play in the CV joint. The rubber boot was still intact, so it wasn't something you could really see/feel until the axle was out.

Replacing the axles & ball joints also cured another fairly subtle symptom I was having when cruising downhill at 50-60mph on the freeway. At those speeds, the car is almost coasting, and when the engine would "kick-in" I'd get a little clunk/jerk out of the front end (almost like hitting a very small pothole). With the new axles, that's gone and the drivetrain on the front wheels feels much tighter...

Last edited by rlutz; 12-23-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to subaruster
Registered SVX

Update: Problem solved. Thanks rlutz! My front CV axles was the problem. She drives smooth again! I could tell that both axles were loose and tired especially on the inner cv hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
The right axle had a little wear on the end and a little play in the CV joint. The rubber boot was still intact, so it wasn't something you could really see/feel until the axle was out.

Replacing the axles & ball joints also cured another fairly subtle symptom I was having when cruising downhill at 50-60mph on the freeway. At those speeds, the car is almost coasting, and when the engine would "kick-in" I'd get a little clunk/jerk out of the front end (almost like hitting a very small pothole). With the new axles, that's gone and the drivetrain on the front wheels feels much tighter...