IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
06/12/06
14.378 @ 3.059 -280.05m, ~19.47mpg
average 50-70*s, dry, all city, slightly aggressive, S.OcB.

Conclusion: acetone does nothing to help fuel, and may even drop mileage/power while in use. Similar to using injector cleaner.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S.
06/12/06
14.378 @ 3.059 -280.05m, ~19.47mpg
average 50-70*s, dry, all city, slightly aggressive, S.OcB.

Conclusion: acetone does nothing to help fuel, and may even drop mileage/power while in use. Similar to using injector cleaner.
Tried it.
Went from 24 average to 21 average, with exactly the same conditions
before and after.
So I guess it's just parts cleaner now.

http://hytechapps.com/aquygen/hhos
I wanna talk with this guy. Before someone shuts him down {Big Brother}.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:47 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
I have noticed neither a significant increase nor decrease in power or fuel consumption over the course of one tank.

My car did fail inspection on 5/15 for HC emissions (read 188, standard was 100). Since then besides using the acetone, I also cleaned the throttle bodies and IAV and had to replace my MAF. On 6/12 my car was reinspected at 88 HC.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
I have noticed neither a significant increase nor decrease in power or fuel consumption over the course of one tank.

My car did fail inspection on 5/15 for HC emissions (read 188, standard was 100). Since then besides using the acetone, I also cleaned the throttle bodies and IAV and had to replace my MAF. On 6/12 my car was reinspected at 88 HC.
Sounds about right.
And I know it's an insignificant number on the grand scale, but I think the whole experiment should end, if we just start putting out more Hydrocarbons.
And who knows how many people worldwide are trying Acetone.

HHO sounds like a more viable reason for trying something new in our vehicles.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo

Damn. Limit up here is 750. I read 168hc at Idle (717rpm) and 107hc at 2594rpm.
I was about 1/4 into the tank directly after the acetone tank.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX
So determined it does not help but blows up Crank pull?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
So determined it does not help but blows up Crank pull?
Consider acetone a combustible solvent, and nothing more.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 AM

Re: Test - Acetone to increase MPG

I have heard from many old timers this is just a Good cleaner.
however many have suggested that long term use will eat the Rubber.
As will Ethanol. Anyways. I use Amsoil's PI fuel additive.

it's an Octane booster, Lubricant, and cleaner in one little 6$ bottle.
recommended only to be used every 4k miles. If you want. Use in stronger concentrations, Such as pour it in when you have around a half a tank. Do a bit of driving. Then Fill it up. Keep another bottle around in the trunk to As it does recommend also to use only a small amount at every other Fill up to maintain.

DOES IT WORK? Yes. I have noticed a decent increase in mileage.
Like the amsoil Antifreeze ( which contains water pump lube a product long gone off autos hip shelves.

The company has been around for more than 30 years. They do extensive scientific research that can be backed up..

For instance on all of the Oil, you will find a graph comparing Exxon Mobile1, Quaker state, Pennzoil, Castro syn-tech. The company could NOT DO this if they didn't have certifiable reproducible results, other wise LAWSUIT.

They have yet to be sued or changed there packaging. Amsoil does have an octane boost, good for I think 8 points but do not Quote me. And the PI, Which does LOWER emissions, it is Sensor safe, and works in one application.
can't beat it. I've used there fuel ex tendered product for my oil furnace and it works very well.. Do I like additives NO. many times people Mix way too many things and you just end up with fouled plugs.
The PI product as I said is a Lubricant, cleaner, Octane boost and anti- corrosive. So.. I use what works. and what I can see improves my MPG.
I found using SHell gas ( only if it's an OLD shell station) lately due to finances I had to use 87 a lot. there was a drop in MPG and performance.

Best thing to do is use a quality Gas, that does not contain ethanol. and use what is recommended for Our cars. Keep your car tuned up. I use the PI additive when I can remember to use it and I always see an increase.

The EPA does maintain a list of Car gadgets that are nothing but scams.
Maybe it was another Gov entity. I know Zmax and I still see it sold at Autozone got Sued for false claims and advertising. Even the Gov stepped in.
I've heard of some folks dropping a few tables spoons of DuPont Teflon directly into the Oil and yes they got good results but it was Temporarily.
Most of it gets stuck in the oil filter anyways which can cause a lack of lubrication. But it did work. Just my 2 cents.
svx1999
Old 12-16-2009, 04:42 AM

One little thing I forgot to mention. I have a 3m injector cleaning kit.
connects directly to the rail and the car runs off of the Can for about 10 to 15 mins. Now we all know 3m does not make junk products. many dealers used this same kit and it works well. 3m now has a total tune up kit for TB, Gas additive and you get the injector cleaner as well. I know I found the port to conect directly to the rail once but I've yet to be able to find it again. When I consulted the service books there was no port. You more or less disconnect the pump. and fuel filter and run it that way per the book.

Funny enough the Subaru service manuals call for a GM product to be used.

I say follow the common sense trail. Keep it tuned, use good gas. Use a reputable product if your going to use additives such as the 2 amsoil products.
I would certainly use Amsoil Air Filter. Flows Better than ANY K&N and Filters down to 2 or 3 microns with Very little restriction, it's good for 4 years or a 100,000 miles. The less particulate matter entering through the intake reduces wear and tear. Use of a high quality oil and filter further reduces wear and tear, equals Long service life. There is after all only so much that can be done unless you do Mods. Keep your tires inflated properly as this can significantly reduce your MPG. Drive one of the most Fun to drive cars and just enjoy. my car is getting around 22. Or around 234 to 245 per tank.
This has been the standard, it went up after I changed O2 sensors and Im' sure it would go a bit higher if I did some much needed Service.

On pure Hwy I recorded over 30mpg Keep a steady speed use cruise control as much as you can. You'll see the difference and all of this can be found I think on the EPA website

SVX1999.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuoh View Post
Any Mythbusters viewers here besides me? They just did an episode on various fuel mileage improvement myths, including acetone and the magic magnets. Results? You guessed it, no change or worse MPG with the supposed miracle gas cures. I'm not saying that they're scientific or even industry experts, but their testing methodology seems logical and reproduceable for anyone who wants to validate or refute the claims.

KuoH
That's the first thing I thought when I saw the thread title. Besides that, regularly buying acetone tends to raise red flags with the authorities who then start investigating you for methamphetamine production.