SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-22-2009, 07:59 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Brakes 101

I cleaned & lubed my rear brakes yesterday. Trying to get rid of scraping sound.

A. In the exploded diagram of the calliper it shows a lock pin sleeve and lock pin boot. The boots are filled with grease but the sleeve does not move at all. The sleeve is shiny with no apparent corrosion.

Should the sleeve slide back and forth? If so how do you free it?

B. I didn't take off the rotors. If I just release the parking brake will the rotor slip off over the drums? (The car is level & I have one side jacked and supported by an axle stand at the jack point. Wheel chocks in place on opposite corners.)
Old 11-22-2009, 10:45 PM

Re: Brakes 101

I just replaced all my pads and callipers for the first time.

On the rear calliper, just remove the lower bolt (has a boot) on the backside (12mm if memory serves).
Then just wiggle the calliper and it will release and then you can swing it up on the upper pin.
Once it has swung up and cleared the rotor, you slide it back off the upper pin (the other one with the boot). Then tie the calliper out of the way (cloths hanger to the coil works well)

Then remove the calliper bracket by removing the 2 mounting bolts on the backside (14mm if memory serves).
Pull the bracket off.

If you want to remove the rotor, you will have to release the parking brake (make sure your car is secured and cannot move with it released) because the parking brake is a drum brake pressing against the inside of the rotor.

To break the rotor away from the wheel hub, you have to find a couple of bolts that will fit those 2 threaded holes on the inside of the rotor. They have to be long enough to go through the rotor and push against the wheel hub as you tighten them. Or you can break them free by banging them off with a rubber mallet, but that is tricky with that brake shield in the way.

Here is a pic I took while doing the job.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Brakes 101

Thanks for the info on the rotor removal Jazz. The only other car I've removed a rotor on is a PT Cruiser & I had to turn the star wheel to relax the drums on that one. Then re-adjust after replacement a PITA for sure.

The sleeve I was talking about is the one the lock bolt (lower bolt) goes through. In the diagram it looks as though it should move. This would make sense to me as it would allow the calliper to move in and out as the brakes are applied & released. But I'm not a trained mechanic. In any event the sleeve on mine seems seized on both rear brakes & I was wondering if that is the way they are supposed to be.