Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM

Rotational scraping sound!

Ever since I did my 4.44 swap I've been hearing what I can only describe as rotational scraping coming from the rear. I can definitely hear the scrape sound going 10-15mph and gradually becomes a whirling at higher speeds (as one might expect).
My immediate reaction was that I had a bent dust plate or something related to the rotor, the sound is similar at low speed. I've taken my rear wheels off several times trying to diagnose. I've even had the rotors turned and this noise persists.

I did come across one important fact however. This sound cannot be heard when the FWD fuse is inserted. One can assume that this information rules out several possible causes related to wheel rotation right? So what's left? Drive shaft?

This sound is so annoying I'm inclined to drive with the fwd fuse until I figure it out!
Old 05-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Re: Rotational scraping sound!

Did you build the rear diff correctly? What procedure did you use the put the rear diff together because that sounds like it could be the problem
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM

I didn't use legacy carrier, side plate bolts were too rusty and snapped off. I swapped the 4.44 pinion and ring gears into the svx carrier. I then took the unit to a shop to have backlash checked and preload set.
The svx rear pinion doesn't use crush sleeves correct?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:46 PM

I experienced a similar sound. In my case I needed to swap the front differential. Found out I didnt have rear wheel movement and changed the 'A' solenoid for line pressure control. I also messed around with turning on and off the 'C' solenoid to diagnose the rear wheel issue. Shortly after doing this, I started to hear a sound similar to yours. Come to find out it was the 'chatter' of the 'C' solenoid opening and closing many times a second. After investigating, the rear side of the 'C' solenoid in the exstention housing was DRY. Found out that a tiny break in the wire had changed the resistance from 3-ohms to about 2-ohms. So all that being said, search for 'c' solenoid on the forum and locate how to test and diagnose the solenoid. First step is to turn car 'ON' not running and depress the accelerator fully while listening for a 'buzz' from the solenoid.

I hope this is the case for you. Make it easy and be sure your rear wheels are working

ALSO FWD fuse caused sound to stop

Last edited by Mr. Claret; 05-28-2009 at 06:49 PM. Reason: fyi
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Is it possible that this could be a bad wheel bearing or the parking brake?

I accidentally left the parking brake on and drove for about half a block before I was able to pull over and figure out what was going on (I was going west so the sun made seeing any dash lights impossible).

While the parking brake was on I thought the car had some major wheel issues. The parking brake did not constantly drag but would grab only at a certain point the wheel rotation. Might have been only on one side too since the car was shimmying and thumping like a wheel was going to fall off. There's also a ticking noise coming from that side that I never noticed before.

And for the first time my abs light has appeared. A couple times now, once before and once prior to my parking brake incident. Both times I wasn't able to check the codes.

Possible that these issues are related? Considering my luck with this car probably just separate issues...
Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX

i too have the sound in the rear. it started to happen when on a cold night i put on the e brake over night. the e brake light remained on as well with my taking the brake off. i fixed the light by adjusting the shoe pads and i looked over the whole assembly for any wear or anything but can't find anything. i will be looking at again this week hopefully i will find something.

Roman
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001

I've had the same issue as well for quite some time. I am thinking it may be a seized caliper? I may just bring it to subaru and have them diagnosis/fix it