Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Door rust, Caught it in Time

Hey guys, I am in the process of putting speakers as well as an aftermarket HU and I took the outer plastic panel off my car to see how bad the rust was as I could see it bubbling up above. It looks like I caught it in time and am wondering what the best way is to clean it up by getting rid of the rust and also preventing any more in the future.

I've got some pics.....

This one looks worse than it really is

The whole in the middle is the one that the metal is structurally the worst but still solid-it is slightly weaker

This would be the one that the hole in the door is the worse

Any advice or help would be great. I want to fix and prevent any future rust.
-Nate

Edit: just looked on subaruparts.com and it looks like there is a part for the metal piece in the side garnish
-part number 91093PA010 "holder LH"

Also to note so people don't get confused, I have the plastic from the door upside down in the pics

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-22-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:46 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: Door rust, Caught it in Time

Nate,

I replaced several of the holders on my Claret when we did the paintwork as a precautionary measure. Any that showed signs of corrosion were replaced.

Make sure you grind off the corrosion (I suggest using a wire wheel) and treat the affected areas with Naval Jelly and etch primer (DuPont Etch in a Can) both can be had at a respectable body shop supply store.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks a lot Mike. Its hard to believe that it still looks like this after being a Minnesota and now Wisconsin car after 17+ winters.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I am sure the undercarriage tells that story...

After replacing brake and fuel lines in a local owner's 1992 LS-L (originally from MA), I would advise checking the condition of your hard lines as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I am sure the undercarriage tells that story...

After replacing brake and fuel lines in a local owner's 1992 LS-L (originally from MA), I would advise checking the condition of your hard lines as well.
Actually had a real good look over with it on a lift when I first got it, the undercarriage is still clean with the factory rustproof undercoat. All of the trans mounts, control arms, etc are still in great shape with just minimal surface rust starting on the control arm surfaces.

The only real rust are on this door(dr side) and to an actual lesser extent, the passenger side quarter panel starting right behind the wheel well that I plan on taking care of relatively soon or otherwise when its in for the body work, having them take car of that as well. I'll get some pics up of the underbody if I get that motivated

It's hard to believe but some cars actually do survive just fine up here. My parents bought an 89 Chevy Astrovan brand new and even after 18 years and 195,000 miles, still had absolutely no rust on the body. My mom even scraped the side of a chain link fence and it put deep, DEEP, scratches(gouges basically) along the side and even those scratches never rusted over 8+ years.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-22-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

I just detailed mine this week and noticed a similar but smaller bubble under the paint. Really p***ed as it was fully painted 2 years ago.

Is there a how to on getting the panel off? I haven't looked. Don't want to scratch the paint.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Remove the interior door panel, peel off the plastic liner, and you will see the clips and bolts holding it on. Remove three nuts and squeeze the clips with pliers to pull them out of the door (they stay with the cladding).

Oh, and this is what it looks like when you don't catch it in time:

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 04-22-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Thanks for the quick reply. Man that looks ugly.

If the clips break can they be replaced?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX_MY_BABY View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Man that looks ugly.

If the clips break can they be replaced?
Yeah, you can get them for roughly $2 a clip. And I did not have to squeeze the clips from the inside at all. As said, there are 3 nuts on the inside of the door and then you can get away with carefully pulling the panel off. the only thing that might happen is you could break one of the said clips.

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

I've had theorys on why are doors rust on that particular body line and have said many times before. An example is when I did the body work on my car the driver side door had tiny bubbles and my passenger side didn't and I noticed something that I believe cause one side to rust and not the other. Nate you know the foam strips that are on the cladding, They hold water and the moisture eats away at the metel bar holding the piece onto the door. If you remove them then the water will just go out the bottom instead of staying in the foam strips preventing rust. I removed the foam on my driverside (rusty side) and the passenger had none so I left it alone (non-rusty side). After this I removed the rust with a wire wheel as Mike said and etch primed,primed both inside and out, then I used chip guard on the inside of the whole door. You can see in your pic of all the moisture around the foam. Hope this helps.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress

Last edited by redlightningsvx; 04-22-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
I've had theorys on why are doors rust on that particular body line and have said many times before. An example is when I did the body work on my car the driverside door had timy bubbles and my passengerside didn't and I noticed something that I believe cause one side to rust and not the other. Nate you know the foam strips that are on the cladding, They hold water and the moisture eats away at the metel bar holding the piece onto the door. If you remove them then the water will just go out the bottom instead of staying in the foam strips preventing rust. I removed the foam on my driverside (rusty side) and the passenger had none so I left it alone (non-rusty side).
Yes that is a good point and probably a good idea for anyone. I haven't taken the passenger side apart yet as I figured I would tackle this door first since I knew it had the rust. I know on that ebony parts car I have, the driver door has a hole the size of my fist whilt the passenger door just has some bubbles around the clip/bolt holes. That would more than likely be the main issue.