Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered Loser

ABS code se7en

Hello everyone

Everyday I learn something new about my SVX, today I learnt that there's an LED under the front passengers seat... had no idea the little bugger existed!!

So I have a code 7 'right rear wheel speed' with no idea that I have any other ABS problems because the diagnostics can only show one code at a time.

I have a few questions:

1- Does anyone have any tips on how to tackle this?
2- What are the chances it's not just this wheel?
3- How much $ do you think I'm looking at?
4- 'right rear wheel speed' doesn't mean much to me, can someone please explain this to me, what actually is wrong?

Last but not least, (separate issue) I know my front discs are warped but that aside. When I'm on the brakes and JUST about to come to a complete halt, I usually ease off the brakes a little bit JUST before I stop so that I don't have a jerky, sudden stop, and sometimes when I do this the pedal gives me very strange feedback it almost feels like a popping airy feedback, just pops once, no sound, and the pedal moves in or out very briefly

Does anyone have any clues what that could be?

Thanks heaps, Jordan.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX
Re: ABS code se7en

The "right wheel speed" code would denote that the sensor which attaches to the right rear hub is malfunctioning.

The feedback you are describing is similar to something I experienced with my BF's 94 Laguna LSi. I fixed the problem by replacing the relays in the underhood ABS unit. (The cover comes off with 1 philips-head screw, and the relays just pull out).

Personally, I would attribute the ABS acting up to poor brakes, if yours are that worn out. However, if you still experience the problem after doing your brakes, I would first swap the relays from your other SVX to test, and if the problem is still present, THEN swap the right rear wheel sensor.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered Loser

Hey thanks a lot for the info, I'm gonna take the relays out and just test them, the light only comes on sometimes, I really need to get onto it.... doing a bit of a road trip in a couple of weeks time

There are so many rotors out on the market that I'd have no idea whatsoever on which ones to go for PLUS im not sure if the Aussie Spec SVX has a different front setup to the US spec.... I have read the back brake setup IS different between our 2 different SVX models.

Unfortunately I have no 2nd SVX to swap parts around with, I WISH!!
Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 AM
Registered Loser

Hey guys, I'm really having trouble trying to find what the problem with my SVXs brakes are and it's gotten worse!!!

It really seems as though the ABS is triggering for no reason and the pedal feels like it pumps itself like crazy when it happens. The ABS light comes about onces a week.

After the brake pedal goes nuts I can hear this very soft buzzing noise lasting about 1 or 2 seconds.

Have checked the relay too!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions

Thanks a lot, Jordan.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Phil & Belha

Try taking out the ABS fuse to disable ABS. Then you will know for sure whether your poor braking is due to the brakes or the ABS system.

If it is the ABS system, then most likely the right rear wheel sensor is giving a faulty signal which makes the ABS ECU think that the wheel is locked and hence it releases the brake pressure to try and unlock it.

Remove the right rear brake disk and have a look at the condition of the tone wheel, the sensor and the wiring.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 AM
Registered Loser

Thanks a lot you said the simplest thing and it's the best idea. I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow

Thanks, Jordan.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 PM

I've got the same problem as AUSVX, one and a while while I'm stopped at a light my ABS seems to kick in and the brake peddle vibrates. The ABS light will sometimes come on, but always turns off before I can check the LED by the passenger seat. Any idea's as to what is causing this?
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

The ABS sensor must be a specific distance from the tone wheel for it to read properly. If the sensor's been removed (eg. to replace wheel bearing) it may have been tapped with a hammer deforming it and increasing the gap. I don't have my manuals with me but I think proper clearance is around 0.5 - 0.7mm.