How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 AM

Registered SVX
Question Faded mirrors and rear sails

Rosie's Rockets have a serious case of faded mirrors and rear trim sails. Anybody got a pic of an SVX with these items repainted gloss black? Might be a better remedy than Brilliant Red fading again and I don't think it will appear too far out of balance. Also did a search on removal for repaint and didn't achieve any results. Anybody removed mirrors and rear sails and can provide some guidance? T.I.A.
1997 Polo Green SVX LSI #316 49,000, garage queen, aka "The Green Queen" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI #200, 167,000, daily driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket I" 1997 Brilliant Red SVX LSI#234, 106,000, summer driver, aka"Rosie's Rocket II"
1988 Red & White Silverado, aka "The Hauler"

2000 GRAND MARQUIS LS w/ handling package, aka "BIG BLUE"

1988 Mazda RX7 Convertible, aka " Lil Blue "
Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Phil & Belha

If by "rear sails" you mean the plastic panels under the upper half of the rear windows, they come off easy, but don't go back easy. You open the trunk lid, and you will see a plastic pin to remove. Once you have removed it, slide the sail towards the back of the car. All the little plastic clips holding it in place will snap off and then you will need to buy new ones in order to refit it.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
You may also need to replace the thin black trim piece which runs along it's edge. The clips are still available. You can also buy the whole units prepainted from Subaru. Any shop should be able to mask & paint the mirrors.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
are they faded, like the paint is actually very very dull/flat, or just incredibly dirty, and the paint is foggy looking? honestly, sometimes its hard to tell the differance. i detail cars for a living for now(and to be honest, i despise my job in every way possible), and painted mirrors and the plastic gloss black mirrors usually come in completely dull with absolutely zero reflection if you look at them, but 99% of the time, i use #86 diamond cut/buffing compound, i think it may be meguiars, and just buff the hell out of it, and get AMAZING results, like if they were repainted. if you do go this route, be careful if youve never buffed, spending to much time on one spot will burn the paint, or even cut right through it. after its buffed, wipe it off, and use some hand glaze(again meguiars) then wax. but no spray on crap, use the good old fashioned wipe on, let dry and wipe off. remember, hand glaze and wax are NOT the same thing. if you let glaze sit on to long, it wont wipe off properly, and leave nasty nasty marks. ive let wax sit overnight on a car if it was time to go home, and it wiped right off the next morning. i dont know if this helps, but its worth a shot, and ALOT cheaper then a respray on that stuff.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Finally HAS a 3rd pedal!!

Send a message via AIM to ridered777 Send a message via MSN to ridered777 Send a message via Yahoo to ridered777
I know a trick on those rear sails...

Buy some "3M Polishing Wax", some "towel-cloths" and have a go at em. Turns out the "faded paint" is the oxidiaxtion of the paint on the surface, but the clearcoat and paint itself is still fine. The towels you use to wax it will come out red - change them often. Should come out looking like it was just painted. I tripped across this by accident and was amazed by the results.

Nice and simple too. Good luck!

94 LSi 5spd Barcelona Red, 14Xk miles.

Full custom exhaust (Stebro cat-back, custom rest of the way forward) 8000K HID kit from Tom (SVXfiles), Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, Non-Droopy visors, Race Concepts C/D + Dimpled Rotors, Axxis Ultimate pads,SS brake lines, Bontrager Works #009 (or something like that), stripped interior.

(up next) Full cage, fuel cell, 327 swap
Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridered777 View Post
I know a trick on those rear sails...

The towels you use to wax it will come out red - change them often.

Nice and simple too. Good luck!
i may be wrong, but the only time i get the color from the car on my buffing pads, or even my wax pads, or the towels to wipe off glazing is when there is no clear coat on the car, or very very very little clear coat. are these parts not clear coated?

oh, fyi, the reason you should def use hand glaze after buffing is because swirl marks (that 3-d effect of weird lines popping off your car) show up easy in even light sunlight, glazing before wax covers this all up and im not to the point of getting minimal swirl-marks with my buffing. btw, everyone should keep their cars clean, and waxed at all times. and if you have little or no experiance, and you have a black car, DO NOT BUFF YOUR OWN CAR!!! just trust me. bad idea.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
They wont look good repainted black, especially with your tan interior. If they dont buff out, repaint them th correct color. Remove the parts before respraying.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten