Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Quick Brake question

I recently replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads all the way around, I have noticed since I have done that, on the front of the car on the hub caps it has a LOT more brake dust than on the rear end of the car. There is almost none on the rear end, is this something that is normal?
Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannarace928
I recently replaced all 4 rotors and brake pads all the way around, I have noticed since I have done that, on the front of the car on the hub caps it has a LOT more brake dust than on the rear end of the car. There is almost none on the rear end, is this something that is normal?
It's normal for a car to use the front brakes a lot more than the rear. If you switched from a low-dust pad, to one that dusts a bit more, you might just be noticing it for the 1st time.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 PM

Very normal, 2/3 of your braking is done up front since the car shifts it's weight towards the front during braking and becuase most cars including this one has about a 60/40 front to rear weight ratio. As long as your seeing a little dust coming off the rear then they are working. Just to be on the safe side drive the car in reverse at a decent speed and push on the brakes kinda hard. There might be a little shuttering but nothing excessive and you should be able to feel the rear brakes bite a little more. Hoever once again the fronts will still play a major role becuase they are bigger and the car is balanced at somthing like 60/40 front to rear weight.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to wannarace928 Send a message via Yahoo to wannarace928
Classic SVX
Thanks for the info. I was just kinda concerned I hadnt noticed this before on any other car. This one has a million and 1 problems I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to be adding anything else to the list.