IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-22-2002, 08:44 PM
FREESTYLER

Quote:
Originally posted by BLKSVX92
i cant believe you format every other week
ur SVX
u say its 92, is it 91 or 2, cuz ours is 91, and i have never seen any1 with a 91, but me, or r all the 92's, 91's really, check if urs is 4WS, mineis, i just went out in it for the first time bimyself (just got my licence) and hit 120KMH at 6500RPM in 2nd ( diff is on its way out) and since our gear box blew up, and they changed everything in it, it dont accelerate as fast. oh well, TURBO time
Old 05-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by FREESTYLER

ur SVX
u say its 92, is it 91 or 2, cuz ours is 91, and i have never seen any1 with a 91, but me, or r all the 92's, 91's really, check if urs is 4WS, mineis, i just went out in it for the first time bimyself (just got my licence) and hit 120KMH at 6500RPM in 2nd ( diff is on its way out) and since our gear box blew up, and they changed everything in it, it dont accelerate as fast. oh well, TURBO time
I've noticed a few people in the UK referring to their cars as '91's. The SVX wasn't released in the US until 92. In the US, we call our cars by their Model (or "release") year, rather than by their Manufactured year. Our 92's were manufactured in 91 for the 92 Model year.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
thanks randy...now i have nothing to say

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 05-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sorry, Michael. You gotta be pretty quick on the keyboard to beat the "poster child."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-25-2002, 09:46 PM
CopsodyX

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph
I should be clean:

1. I only sent out emails to Doug recently
2. I format my XP box every other week
3. The other box is linux.

but thanks for the warning.
Lwin
You really need a Mac OS X machine. There is simply no excuse for having to format a drive every two weeks just to make it work efficiently. My god, first Microsoft takes your money, then they take your time. Bastards. I HATE MS.

www.****Microsoft.com
Old 05-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX
You really need a Mac OS X machine. There is simply no excuse for having to format a drive every two weeks just to make it work efficiently. My god, first Microsoft takes your money, then they take your time. Bastards. I HATE MS.
It's true that OS X is more stable than any MS OS out there. As for reinstalling XP every other week, that all depends on the software that is installed and if they are designed for XP or not.

The main reason that OS X is stable is that there is very little native software for the OS and non-native software runs in the OS 9 classic mode which will not touch/harm OS X.

I use XP on my computers and usually leave them running for weeks at a time without rebooting.

The only thing that keeps me using Windows as opposed to Linux or any other OS is the fact that I rely on software (non-MS) designed only for Windows. Eventually I will make the switch (when I believe that MS knows too much about myself and my computer and that's too close already).
Old 05-25-2002, 10:30 PM
CopsodyX

I'm glad to hear that you're moving away from MS. I think that MS has alienated so many people so fast that there's no way to recover. But we'll see.

OS X has tons of native software available now, mostly in Carbon, but lots in Cocoa. It's stable, not because of what you said, but because it's based upon true Mach UNIX. Nothing can touch your hardware. I've been using my PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X since March 25, 2001, and I've never had a crash/kernel panic, and have only rebooted for updates. Never a security hole, except in the Mac OS X native versions of MICROSOFT IE and Office.

I routinely run lots of small apps and utilities, Adobe graphics packages, Apple FCP and DVD Studio, MS Office, OmniWeb, Flash, GC, Virtual PC (Run WinXP on your Mac, w/o threat of viruses and crashes), and tons more. Never a crash.

Now, i'm not saying that people should leave their PCs in the dust -- no need to give up your hardware...just put Linux on it! Linux is brilliant, and Mac OS X is VERY Linux-like, right down to it's UNIX based open sourced core.

Anyway, as you can see, i'm just very anti-MS, and hope everyone creates a bonfire with their MS products and gets a Mac or Linux box.
Old 05-26-2002, 05:15 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Just a suggestion.....

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
It seems that my brothers and I had been passing it from person to person, but we all have (up-to-date) virus protection (either McAffee or Norton) and no one has been infected (nobody has seen it for the last several days however). We receive the worm, A-V deletes it, and it apparently goes out anyway. I don't believe you're in my address book Chris, but if ANYONE has received anything peculiar from me, I'd sure like to know about it. PM me or something. Thanks.
A lot of these viruses propagate and proliferate by using Outlook or Outlook Express address books.

I was recently sent one that I recognised as potential trouble, and isolated and dumped it before harm ensued. SOME of them, including that one, send messages to all un-opened mail addresses in your inbox. Poetic justice really, these would probably be spam if you have not bothered to read them. My mailbox would have no unopened mail. I tend to linger on them all until they change to opened, that way I immediately see how many new come in.

Just thought I would mention it, if you take the trouble to mark all as read, this type will not send out from your machine, giving your virus software a chance to find and neutralise it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by CopsodyX
I'm glad to hear that you're moving away from MS. I think that MS has alienated so many people so fast that there's no way to recover. But we'll see.

OS X has tons of native software available now, mostly in Carbon, but lots in Cocoa. It's stable, not because of what you said, but because it's based upon true Mach UNIX. Nothing can touch your hardware. I've been using my PowerBook G4 with Mac OS X since March 25, 2001, and I've never had a crash/kernel panic, and have only rebooted for updates. Never a security hole, except in the Mac OS X native versions of MICROSOFT IE and Office.

I routinely run lots of small apps and utilities, Adobe graphics packages, Apple FCP and DVD Studio, MS Office, OmniWeb, Flash, GC, Virtual PC (Run WinXP on your Mac, w/o threat of viruses and crashes), and tons more. Never a crash.

Now, i'm not saying that people should leave their PCs in the dust -- no need to give up your hardware...just put Linux on it! Linux is brilliant, and Mac OS X is VERY Linux-like, right down to it's UNIX based open sourced core.
I'm not actually moving away from MS products as much as MS is pushing me away.

My computer is the opposite from yours. You run MS products on a non-MS machine. I refrain from using MS products on my XP machine. I have and will continue to use Netscape, Lotus and Wordperfect instead of IE/OE and MS Office.

Linux is good for people who do little more than browse the Internet (for now). Office Suites are getting better and gaming support is constantly evolving but will never reach the level of compatibility included with Windows XP. I have used Linux on several occasions with success and failures but still require Windows for my main tasks.